The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke' Vote_lcapChris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke' Voting_barChris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke' Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke' Vote_lcapChris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke' Voting_barChris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke' Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke'

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Standard Cash : 10244

Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke' Empty
PostSubject: Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke'   Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke' EmptyTue Mar 15, 2016 9:27 am

Chris Weidman didn't want to talk about it. He avoided mentioning it right after the fight.

In recent weeks, though, news has leaked that Weidman had a significantly broken foot going into his fight with Luke Rockhold at UFC 194 in December. The last thing he wants is people saying he's making an excuse, but he's not going to lie about it if asked.

"I say these things, because they came out," Weidman told MMA Fighting in a recent interview. "It's a fact. There's no excuses."

Weidman (13-1) lost the middleweight title to Rockhold by fourth-round TKO in that bout. The Long Island native said he broke his foot in two places about six weeks before the fight and also needed surgery after the fight to remove bone spurs from his elbow. With that knowledge, Weidman still did not want to withdraw from the bout.

"I knew what I was getting myself into, but I still thought I could go out there and beat him," Weidman said. "Even with that stuff. And he proved that I was wrong. He came out to fight. He was better than me that night."

Weidman will get a chance at retribution when he faces Rockhold in a rematch in the main event of UFC 199 on June 4 in Los Angeles. The former champ is recovered and back to training. He said he's already in shape three months out of the clash and more motivated than ever to get back what he believes is his.

"I know what I'm capable of," Weidman said. "I know my potential and I know I wasn't close to it. The fact that because of what I've accomplished in the past gives me the opportunity to get a rematch is a great situation to be in. In most situations, people don't get the second chance, especially right away. So, I'm very grateful for the opportunity I have. There's no question in my mind that I'm gonna go out there and make a statement, completely dominate him and make sure everybody knows the last fight was a fluke."

Why did Weidman decide to go into a bout with an opponent the caliber of Rockhold with serious injuries? Well, it's something he's done in the past. Against Alessio Sakara, Weidman had a broken rib. Weidman had to cut 32 pounds in 10 days to face Demian Maia on short notice. In a title fight against Lyoto Machida he had a broken hand. He won all of those times.

"I've taken situations like that and gotten through it and gotten Ws," said Weidman, who added that he could not wrestle or do any kind of footwork drills in his last training camp. "I thought it was gonna be another day like that and I was wrong."

Rockhold and Weidman talked a little bit of trash before the UFC 194 fight, but they had respect for one another. The two have had a good relationship for years. Things have changed, though, in the two months since the title bout. Weidman said he doesn't appreciate some of the things Rockhold has said to others in private. Rockhold has also said publicly that he was debilitated going into the bout, saying he was battling staph infection and was on antibiotics.

"I feel like he's cocky and I gave him a bigger head and gave him something to be even more cocky about," Weidman said. "It sucks for me. I've gotta suck it up. I got a chance to deflate the head. That's the goal. I have to go back in there and feed him some humble pie."

The two went back and forth quite a bit during the "Unstoppable" press conference and had a memorably intense staredown. Weidman knows that none of that stuff will matter. He'll get his opportunity to get back at Rockhold where it really counts soon -- in the Octagon.

"[The loss] really allowed me to grow in so many ways that I wouldn't have been able to grow otherwise," Weidman said.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/3/13/11177714/chris-weidman-bent-on-making-sure-everyone-knows-his-loss-to-luke
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke'   Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke' EmptyTue Mar 15, 2016 9:32 am

damn for a young fighter who hasn't been around that long he has a lot of injuries. think about how many fights he pulled out from and now to hear how many fights he fought with pretty serious injuries makes me wonder about him.

ive always liked Weidman but to hear him talk like this makes me like him less for some reason. I'm not excited for the rematch because if he loses he is finished imo. he would become the chris lytle of the ww division, the joseph benevidez, Urijah faber, et. if he wins here comes another ufc trilogy. I think rockhold finishes Weidman faster than last time.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5723

PostSubject: Re: Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke'   Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke' EmptyTue Mar 15, 2016 3:03 pm

Yeah if he did go into the fight with a broken foot then he is st00pid, if he did knowingly go into a fight with a broken foot, to me that shows disrespect to the organization, to the fans.

Knowingly going into a fight with a broken foot means he was only thinking of himself and just cause you made a st00pid decision doesn't mean you get to use it as an excuse.

I never liked Weidman and this doesn't improve my opinion.
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke'   Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke' EmptyTue Mar 15, 2016 4:06 pm

how many injuries can one have in such a short period of time tho. that's crazy
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59436

PostSubject: Re: Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke'   Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke' EmptyTue Mar 15, 2016 9:30 pm

And now if he loses the rematch there's gonna be some new injury that hindered The Chris and of course people are gonna believe it! The guy gets a new broken bones every couple of hours apparently.

It's funny to me that according to him, his injury hindered his ability to fight, but there seems to be an implication that Rockhold's debilitated condition doesn't count or something.
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke'   Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke' EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 10:57 am

good point.
I just cant see how chris beats rockhold considering the beating he took last time.
if rockhold keeps fighting the way he has I think we have a new superstar on our hands and possible a 2 division champion. I know its early but the guy is steamrolling mw and he is huge for that division and I think he would do great at lhw
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59436

PostSubject: Re: Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke'   Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke' EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 4:20 pm

Yeah I still remember noticing when Weidman fought Silva and then again when he fought Machida (a recently former LHW at the time) just how huge the guy was for that division and how much larger he was than those guys, and Rockhold appears to be even bigger than him!
With guys like them at the top of the division, I think it's gonna be a two horse race for years to come, with Rockhold staying champ, and Weidman beating everybody he faces not named Rockhold (a la Demetrious Johnson and Joseph Benavidez).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke'   Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke' Empty

Back to top Go down

Chris Weidman - loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke'
Page 1 of 1