The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* Vote_lcapThe Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* Voting_barThe Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* Vote_lcapThe Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* Voting_barThe Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*

Go down 
+6
Krieger
norcalmatt
Chrom
stock
samger2
Snake Five
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3770

The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* Empty
PostSubject: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 2:56 am

I thought the fight at the end, Gilbert Smith vs Luke Barnatt was good. They kept trading takedowns, and Barnatt hit a particuarly impressive one where he just picked up Smith by the leg and dumped him, I also liked all his trip takedowns. Barnatt got the better of Smith the whole time with more precise striking and by constantly going for kimuras while defending Smith's takedowns. That finish where he ko'd Smith with a flying knee as he shot in was fucking awesome.

I also like the new camera style they're using.

What the Hell did you guys think?

Last edited by Chrom on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:36 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : edited title and stickied)
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10292

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:06 am

I wasn't surprised. Gilbert's problem was himself. He...nor did anyone else for that matter...had no faith in his chance. Just like Jones said, he lost before he even went into the octagon. It was pretty sad that Jones picked such a lop sided matchup for their first fight...just reminded me of Monson/Silva...physically looking at the two Gilbert should've mashed Barnatt into hamburger meat...but long limbs and good takedown defense are a 5'6" muscle bound fighter's worst nightmare.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:11 am

Oh, and I'm ready for Josh Samman to lose. He thinks he's the coach. He's gonna get a reality check soon when someone lays him out that he thought was his perfect matchup.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35179

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 3:47 pm

I agree about Samman. He thinks he's the coach and he likes the camera a little too much. He's way too concerned about not getting the perfect matchup.
Life would be easy if you only had to fight the best guys on paper. At some point, if you are worth more than shit as a fighter, you are going to have to fight someone whose really good at your weaknesses.

I wish they hadn't given too much away already about next week's fight. The one thing I liked about last season was the live fights since they couldn't blow their cover with the editing to perfectly lead up to what happens in the fight.

As for last night's fight, I actually thought Smith was starting to do much better with his standup, but he just kept going for that takedown. I think we was better at the standup, as JJ said, Barnatt looks real flustered when he gets hit. He really paid for that last takedown.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 6:09 pm

I agree about Barnatt looking flustered when he gets hit...and also agree that Smith was almost turning things around before he got blasted with that flying knee
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22837

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 6:56 pm

Meh, decent enough fight I suppose. I don't buy the "he beat himself" spiel. Especially when Jones went on to say "he had some problems leading into the fight, for instance his cardio"
Well, if you knew he had a problem or two and one was with cardio... why, as his coach, would you not hold off with him fighting as long as possible and work on his weaknesses and cardio? Rather than put him in a fight immediately, where he has multiple disadvantages... Poor fight pick is what lost this fight IMO

Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 8:04 pm

I think Jones was picking the fight based on physique. You have a guy that looks like a roided up mini Mike Tyson badass against a string bean with no muscle mass.
I think the game plan was off. I think if he went in there head hunting he may have had a decent chance. Barnatt didn't look all that sharp standing, imo and Smith didn't seem to have all that much trouble closing the distance and landing some punches. Part of the reason he was getting gassed was that he never stopped going for takedowns.

btw, Jones and sonnen seem to be getting along just fine. I bet the coaches challenge will be fun. Any guesses on what it might be.
They haven't done golf yet.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 8:17 pm

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about Jones and Sonnen getting along. As much as Sonnen got under everyone's skin before Silva II...he's actually a really nice guy.
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 16376

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 11:27 pm

i think the whole thing about sonnen and his being under evrybodys skin (mine included) is he knew when to stop...granted it was maybe at the very last minute but he got beat twice and stopped talking like as much of a lunatic as he had been.

on that note, i havent seen any of this season yet....anybody know where i may be able to view it.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5718

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 11:52 am

It's bad enough crying fighters after losing a match. But COM'ON crying during the pre-fight interview... naw Gilbert lost before he got in the ring, no heart, too emotional and really....
I always lose it when a fighter says "I don't want to hurt anyone!"

Well Gilbert.... you met your goal ... you didn't hurt anyone AND you probably won't ever have to hurt anyone again.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 1:16 pm

I see him better off as a body builder than a pro fighter. Most guys with physiques like that don't do so great in the octagon...too much muscle...wear out quickly.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15311

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 1:18 pm

Coaches challenge this year should be beer pong!!!! nothing would make me happier then seeing Samman getting laid out. the dude really annoys me and no matter what you think about a fight line up you never tell your teammate his chances are slim to none. What a douchebag. to be honest neither guy overly impressed me either. Gilbert lacks that killer instinct and confidence in himself while barnatt may have won but man that guy looked really slow for 185 and his ground game was far from good. He has good take downs but i think his size is what helps him along with that and his striking was good but once again if not for his size i question how effective his striking would be.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 1:21 pm

I honestly figured that with his height advantage Barnatt would set up the jab and follow in with a heavy straight. It's a solid striking technique, especially when you have such a crazy reach advantage. I don't think I saw one solid straight thrown though...
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 1:52 pm

The weird thing about that fight is Barnatt only had like a 2.5" reach advantage despite the huge height difference.
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 2:50 pm

so it looks like uriah may be the loser next week, the way they showed chael bone out to the octigon and how surprised dana sounded with his "are you fucking kidding me"....or it could all be editing
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 4:53 pm

I tend to agree with you norcalmatt...
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5718

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 6:23 pm

Heh ... I tuned in primarily cause of the clips of the "worst KO I HAVE EVER SEEN" from Dana ... only to find out its next week.... bastards!

The way Gilbert was pushing his head in for the take-down attempt I'm surprised a knee didn't take him out earlier.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 9:22 pm

Well there's really not much to say...Uriah has sick striking...and I feel bad for Jones' guy....that was pretty nasty.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59431

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:52 am

I was thinking the same thing as norcalmatt. On top of the weird misdirection-type stuff in the previews, they also showed a quick clip of someone looking just like Uriah (maybe it was him from a later episode) getting taken away in an ambulance right at the end of last week's show.
I'm glad he's still in it. He was my pick to win the whole thing from the get-go.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 7:17 am

Many times I'm a fan of the underdog...but in this case I really wanted Uriah to win because he has so much more potential and IMO wants it more.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:55 am

I kinda suspected that Uriah was the KO guy. After knowing it was one of the next two guys, I did some looking into their past fights and a few highlight vids. Uriah was in kickboxing... maybe the Chuck Norris one... and he has some bad ass highlight vids. He has only 2 losses on his record... the are to Wiedman and Costas Philippou. I could only assume it was gonna be him after comparing their past performances.

Best/Worst KO I have seen in some time.
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:12 am

nice kick!.....side note, i think i may dislike bubba-gump more than samman and in a perfect world they would fight eachother and get the simotanious knock out and eliminate each other.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:33 am

I totally agree norcal...I think I dislike Bubba more than Samman too...both think they're the leaders of their groups for some reason and don't like to take matchups and advice from the big dogs.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59431

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Oh I for sure still hate that Samman dipshit waaaaay more than Bubba. Bubba's a tool, but Samman is the Tool of Tools.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15311

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 7:59 am

I agree with every one else bubba and samman are annoying and both need to go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*   The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen  *Spoilers* Empty

Back to top Go down

The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen *Spoilers*
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next