The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April Vote_lcapJon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April Voting_barJon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April Vote_lcapJon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April Voting_barJon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April

Go down 
+7
butterknifeninja
Gecko
Berserk
DEP
the commie
Chrom
Triggerman99
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59443

Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April Empty
PostSubject: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 4:21 pm

No, this is not a joke. Well, it is a joke, but not in the literal sense of the word.
Sonnen is no longer fighting Forrest, and is instead coaching opposite Jon Jones on TUF 17 and will then get a title shot......having not even won or competed at LHW in the UFC.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/jon-jones-and-chael-sonnen-will-coach-tuf-17-title-fight-set-for-april-27-2013

Evil or Very Mad Face Palm
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22849

Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 6:19 pm

WHAT IN THE FUCK!? That makes no sense at all! He made sense as a fill in fight, that is all... this fight is a fucking mockery!
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7958

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 7:18 pm

ridiculous. as much as i like sonnen, there is no way they should be fighting next. and chael has absolutely no chance in this fight.
jones has beaten everybody though, but not fighting for 7-8 months? just because they want to make money on all the circus that is going to happen on the show. this makes me lose respect for ufc.
also, did machida get on dana's bad side by not subbing for henderson. he was suppose to be next in line.
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9482

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 11:34 pm

Well, you guys probably know that I don't watch MMA at all anymore and I love Sonnen, and even I know that's bullshit. The UFC needs to keep TUF right the fuck up out of the title contention race. With all the SHIT that happened with Hughes, Serra and GSP and waiting for what, 2years? for the shit to materialize how it was intended, you'd think they would've learned their lesson.
Back to top Go down
Berserk
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Berserk

Standard Cash : 28619

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 12:10 am

I see this is nothing more than an attempt at a ratings boost for TUF. Since moving to FX it hasn't been doing so hot.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 2:40 am

Yep, it's a sad day to be a UFC fan. This is prototypical WWE-type ratings whoring.
I don't like either fighter, but I hope Jones embarasses Sonnen, just to prove how ridiculous and assinine this decision to give Chael a title shot was.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15323

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 7:34 am

the commie wrote:
ridiculous. as much as i like sonnen, there is no way they should be fighting next. and chael has absolutely no chance in this fight.
jones has beaten everybody though, but not fighting for 7-8 months? just because they want to make money on all the circus that is going to happen on the show. this makes me lose respect for ufc.
also, did machida get on dana's bad side by not subbing for henderson. he was suppose to be next in line.

I dont know if he's on his bad side but i know dana said that after he refused the fight with jones that he would have to have another fight before another title match.

I cant help but think how screwed machida and Rua and alexander gustafsson are getting right now.
Back to top Go down
butterknifeninja
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
butterknifeninja

Standard Cash : 4006

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 10:03 am

Although i don't agree with (or even like) Sonnen all the time, i think him on TUF is a great idea that will be hella entertaining...just not against Jones! The shitty thing is that i can't get bad about the booking because it's a smart move to put your most polarizing champ against a loudmouth that people either love or hate.

But as you all said, it's a dog shit idea in the sense that it takes Jones out of the picture for way too long and puts him against a guy that has no claim to that title. Why not Sonnen/Forrest? That would have made for good TV and the fight was already going to happen.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12609

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 10:31 am

Yeah knife but the only problem is the ufc loses a lot of credibility here. I agree with you that its being done for ratings and Fox was probably screaming at dana to do something because they feel like they have been sold a bill of goods, but damn this is a wwe style move. Chael getting a title shot coming off a loss hurts the credibility of the organization. There is nobody in the right mind that thinks he has a shot at lasting more than 2 minutes.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 10:32 am

Although we will get to hear stuff like this until april, haha:

"Listen, here is what you need to know. This show [The Ultimate Fighter] has some tremendous young talent on it. I will be taking 50 percent of that talent and teaching them how to fight. The other half is going to be taught how to be selfish, entitled brats like Jones. The good news is that when it is all over, I'm sure Coach Jones will throw a hell of an after-party."
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10304

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 10:35 am

And now this means Jones won't fight until next April?? WTF is up with that?
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35191

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 10:49 am

Yeah, that's over 6 months Jones won't be defending his belt. That's just dumb.
Did Machida and Henderson lose their shots due to injury? .... that's pretty unforgiving, especially if Jones isn't going to fight for another 6 months anyway.

I hate the idea of giving a guy a title fight without having to fight anyone in that weight class to earn it. I would have rather seen Sonnen fight someone like Gustafsson or Davis for a shot at the title.... at least this would bring in some new blood.

Also, Sonnen/Jones as coaches may be too over the top to watch. Way too much schtick from Sonnen and Jones isn't really the best trash talker. I think I will come away hating both fighters after the season.
Back to top Go down
butterknifeninja
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
butterknifeninja

Standard Cash : 4006

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 11:44 am

FistK wrote:
Yeah knife but the only problem is the ufc loses a lot of credibility here. I agree with you that its being done for ratings and Fox was probably screaming at dana to do something because they feel like they have been sold a bill of goods, but damn this is a wwe style move. Chael getting a title shot coming off a loss hurts the credibility of the organization. There is nobody in the right mind that thinks he has a shot at lasting more than 2 minutes.

Oh yea absolutely. It's like the old Chris Rock bit about OJ killing his ex-wife "I'm not saying he should have done it, but i understand"

And that quote you posted right below is exactly why i will watch that season!
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 3:08 pm

I'm inclined to believe that Dana is giving this to Chael as a "thank you" for offering to step up on short notince when nobody else would, but come on; a title shot?! That's a pretty big gift. That's like buying a girl a house for giving you a good blowjob.
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3782

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 3:21 am

Man Sonnen doesn't deserve a title shot at all. I like Sonnen ,but shit at least fight some contendor's before getting a title shot.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 8:46 am

stock wrote:
Yeah, that's over 6 months Jones won't be defending his belt.
Did Machida and Henderson lose their shots due to injury? .... that's pretty unforgiving, especially if Jones isn't going to fight for another 6 months anyway.

Machida lost his chance for declining to fight Jones.

Dana actually said last week about Machida "you beg and beg and beg for another title shot against jones, then it falls into your lap and you decline it? Now you have to fight henderson and that may keep you away from ever seeing another shot."
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 12:00 pm

Well, all we can hope is that Chael gets beaten and loses more relevance...that would be 3 title shots in 2 different weight classes he wasted...kind of like Florian...only Kenflo is likable.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35191

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 2:39 pm

Well, except for when he went on that "I FINISH FIGHTS" rant, and then went on a 1-2 run of super boring decisions.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Yeah wasn't that when he just submitted Alvin Robinson or something and then started walking around the cage chanting "I finish fights!".
Yeah, way to go bro. You just submitted Alvin Robinson, you big finisher you!
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9482

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 6:51 pm

Which was also a backhanded shot at Sherk, who'd recently held Kenflo down and bled on his face for 5 straight rounds and probably could've done it for 5 more. Punching Alvin Robinson's mouthguard out of his mouth was sweet, but you punched Alvin Robinson's mouthguard out. That's like a badass system in your 88 Plymouth Horizon.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 7:24 pm

That's what it was for sure. He had nothing to offer in the title fight with Sherk, so he made himself feel better by taking a backhanded shot at him, and proclaiming himself as the only guy who has ever finished a fight at LW at any time ever in history, and we should all love him for it.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 10:23 am

DEP wrote:
Which was also a backhanded shot at Sherk, who'd recently held Kenflo down and bled on his face for 5 straight rounds and probably could've done it for 5 more. Punching Alvin Robinson's mouthguard out of his mouth was sweet, but you punched Alvin Robinson's mouthguard out. That's like a badass system in your 88 Plymouth Horizon.

HAHAHAHAHA...so very true
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April   Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April Empty

Back to top Go down

Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach TUF 17; Sonnen gets title shot in April
Page 1 of 1