The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
McGregor and Nelson  Vote_lcapMcGregor and Nelson  Voting_barMcGregor and Nelson  Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
McGregor and Nelson  Vote_lcapMcGregor and Nelson  Voting_barMcGregor and Nelson  Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

McGregor and Nelson

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7968

McGregor and Nelson  Empty
PostSubject: McGregor and Nelson    McGregor and Nelson  EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 4:24 pm

those two are definitely two exciting new fighters to watch. And thats what ufc needs, fighters that have style, are memorable.
only if McGregor didnt get that stupid tattoo
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Nelson    McGregor and Nelson  EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 8:03 pm

Yeah, I pegged these guys awhile back as fighters to keep an eye on. That's why I picked them both for my Fantasy League team. It was a good card for me! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22859

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Nelson    McGregor and Nelson  EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 11:34 am

Agreed! These guys are both killers and likely future champs! But, I like Connor's style quite a bit more, Nelson kinda lulls his opponents to sleep and then strikes... I don't know, I'm starting to think I'm not much of a Karate in MMA fan. Just not enough action for my liking.
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Nelson    McGregor and Nelson  EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 8:03 pm

karate is perfect for mma because it works. Anything that defeats your opponent is ok with me.

again, i have said it before, but i will not understand that approach to mma. the one that wants action. Only.
All of us on this site claim to be die hard fans, and i think that if any of us are only entertained by non stop action, it betrays our knowledge of the sport.
lets take an extreme case of chess. to most of us it is a boring ass thing to watch, but to people that know it and love it, every move and tactic is an entertainment.
so, if a fighter uses evasion and perfectly timed strikes to defeat the opponent, i love it as much as a brawl. If a fighter used technique to minimize damage to themselves while trying to control the opponent, i love, even if the fight is not a fucking finish.
I dislike this whole promotion of "go for the finish" mentality. in most cases, that strategy would mean putting yourself in just as much of a risk to lose as your opponent, makes it 50/50. That is not why i love martial arts and it is definitely not the purpose of martial arts in general.
abrawl is amazing to watch, when circumstances are correct, like Mark Hunt vs. Silva, but if every fighter goes out there with that mentality i will get bored of it and eventually stop watching.

Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Nelson    McGregor and Nelson  EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 10:33 am

I see your point, but at the same time, if everyone went out there with the mentality of "don't go for the finish" things would get awfully boring as well... and probably a hell of a lot faster.

Edit:
For the record, I'm pretty sure UFC/Entertainment wasn't the purpose of Martial Arts.
Also why is it that you associate going for the finish with only brawling?
Keeping in mind my comment said nothing at all about finishes... or brawling... I simply stated/questioned my dislike for a certain style.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Nelson    McGregor and Nelson  EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 10:52 am

the commie wrote:

it betrays our knowledge of the sport.
lets take an extreme case of chess. to most of us it is a boring ass thing to watch, but to people that know it and love it, every move and tactic is an entertainment.

Or how about this angle, there is a deliciously fattened pig; now just because I don't like pork chops doesn't mean I can't enjoy bacon. Nor would I assume that anyone who doesn't like bacon doesn't really like pork... maybe, just maybe... they don't like bacon.

It's possible to love certain cuts/styles and enjoy them to the fullest while not being very fond of another cut/style.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15333

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Nelson    McGregor and Nelson  EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 12:14 pm

I really want to see mcgregor take off cole millers head now. But fighting miller would be taking a step back at this point compared to fighting Dustin.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Nelson    McGregor and Nelson  EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 2:43 pm

the commie wrote:
karate is perfect for mma because it works. Anything that defeats your opponent is ok with me.

again, i have said it before, but i will not understand that approach to mma. the one that wants action. Only.
All of us on this site claim to be die hard fans, and i think that if any of us are only entertained by non stop action, it betrays our knowledge of the sport.
so, if a fighter uses evasion and perfectly timed strikes to defeat the opponent, i love it as much as a brawl. If a fighter used technique to minimize damage to themselves while trying to control the opponent, i love, even if the fight is not a fucking finish.
I dislike this whole promotion of "go for the finish" mentality. in most cases, that strategy would mean putting yourself in just as much of a risk to lose as your opponent, makes it 50/50. That is not why i love martial arts and it is definitely not the purpose of martial arts in general.
abrawl is amazing to watch, when circumstances are correct, like Mark Hunt vs. Silva, but if every fighter goes out there with that mentality i will get bored of it and eventually stop watching.

I don't really agree with this assessment.
You're lumping "action" in with words like "brawl" and likening it to strictly going for the finish. A desire to see more action in a fight is not directly correlated to bloodlust and wanting all brawl, all the time. High action in an MMA match can be and is tactically effective and true to spirit of MMA, even if it isn't the ultra-safe chess match that you speak of. 
    It's not as simple as you either A) Wanna see an uber-aggressive, 100mph, bloody brawl, or B) Wanna see an ultra-tactical, defensive chess match. There's definitely a lot of middle ground, and I don't think someone saying they dislike a certain style of fighting means they're betraying their knowledge. And again, Like Chrom said, nobody said anything about only wanting to see a brawl, just a little more action. They don't mean the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Nelson    McGregor and Nelson  EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 4:04 pm

HOLY FUCK!!! WAIT A MINUTE.....
Are Trigger and I in agreeance on something....
The world has gone topsy-fuckin-turvey folks!

Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Nelson    McGregor and Nelson  EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 5:21 pm

Yeah I was as confused as anybody when I realized that! I was like "Wait...... did I just take Chrom's side? That can't be, can it?"

But to be clear, we have agreed on a subject or two here and there. Olivia Wilde's spot as the Undisputed Goddess of the Universe comes to mind.
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Nelson    McGregor and Nelson  EmptyTue Aug 05, 2014 10:45 pm

ugh it's been too long and i dont remember my arguments.
spmething, something, there is a place for every style in martial arts and every style has an achilles heel, so if lay and pray works for someone, find a way to beat it, which will improve the sport overall too. and that ufc shouldn't try to get rid of the "boring" styles completely because it will push the sport back as a competition, for the sake of entertainment.
but im glad to bring trigg and chrom together, we Commies tend to do that to the dirty capitalist pigs.
 Bruce Lee 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Nelson    McGregor and Nelson  Empty

Back to top Go down

McGregor and Nelson
Page 1 of 1