The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Jon Jones: Anderson Silva "abused his gift" Vote_lcapJon Jones: Anderson Silva "abused his gift" Voting_barJon Jones: Anderson Silva "abused his gift" Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Jon Jones: Anderson Silva "abused his gift" Vote_lcapJon Jones: Anderson Silva "abused his gift" Voting_barJon Jones: Anderson Silva "abused his gift" Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Jon Jones: Anderson Silva "abused his gift"

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

Jon Jones: Anderson Silva "abused his gift" Empty
PostSubject: Jon Jones: Anderson Silva "abused his gift"   Jon Jones: Anderson Silva "abused his gift" EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 2:30 pm

Quote :
Like most of the MMA world, Jon Jones was sitting front and center Saturday night when Anderson Silva lost to Chris Weidman in one of the most shocking finishes in UFC history.

Whether the odds going into the fight were close or not, it seemed everyone was in disbelief when Weidman connected with two left hands that put Silva down and out for the first time in his UFC career.

On the night of the fight, Jones took to Twitter and expressed himself in just two words—"this sucks" (the tweet has since been deleted).

During a UFC 165 pre-fight press conference on Tuesday, Jones clarified his statement a bit by explaining that he is an Anderson Silva fan, so it was tough watching the greatest middleweight ever go down the way he did.

"Initially I thought it sucked, Anderson Silva is a guy I look up to a lot," Jones stated. "To see a great champion go down so obviously my initial reaction was yeah, this sucked."

Silva has been criticized quite a bit for his antics in the fight where he put his hands down, stuck his chin out and basically dared Weidman to take a shot at him.

It's nothing new in the history of Silva's fights. He's done it time and time again, but this is the first time it has ever backfired on him.

Jones was watching carefully and admits that as good as Silva is as a fighter, he lost sight of what it meant to be so gifted by toying and playing with an opponent. When it went wrong, it cost him dearly.

"I think that Anderson Silva is a magnificent fighter. I think he has an extraordinary gift, I think he's got to the point where he really believes in his gift, and he's comfortable with his gift, and he abused his gift. He disrespected the gift by disrespecting his opponent," Jones said. "Martial arts is a sport that's traditionally based around honor and integrity and treating people with respect and he somehow lost sight of that. He paid the ultimate price for it."

"I'm not over the Anderson Silva hype train. I know exactly where he was at, you could tell where he was at by the way he was fighting. I think he was fighting at a masterful level. I think he just got disrespectful and the war gods just made him pay for it. He's still that great Anderson Silva in my book."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1698423-jon-jones-anderson-silva-disrespected-his-opponent-and-paid-the-ultimate-price
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 16398

Jon Jones: Anderson Silva "abused his gift" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones: Anderson Silva "abused his gift"   Jon Jones: Anderson Silva "abused his gift" EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 4:13 pm

I like what bones has to say here and couldn't agree more.
Back to top Go down

Jon Jones: Anderson Silva "abused his gift"
Page 1 of 1