The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Anderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen Vote_lcapAnderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen Voting_barAnderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Anderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen Vote_lcapAnderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen Voting_barAnderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Anderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22838

Anderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen Empty
PostSubject: Anderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen   Anderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 10:15 am

Quote :
It seems like Anderson Silva can do anything. He's dominated his division for years. He's become a mainstream star in his home country of Brazil. He's even moved up in weight class and dismantled huge light-heavyweights. On Oct. 13, Silva will try that last trick again. Though he started his career at less than 170 pounds. Silva had no qualms about stepping up on short notice to face Stephan Bonnar.

Even though he's the one moving up, the fight is considered an epic mismatch in his favor, with current odds ranging around the 12-to-1 range. At 37 years old, he's seemingly defied time, but how much longer can he do it? Because time keeps ticking away and there's no way to know how long his prime will last, the call for him to engage in cross-divisional superfights continues to intensify. Recently, the talk has been all about Silva vs. welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre, but some think he's a more natural match for 205-pound champ Jon Jones.

The two share similarly lanky body types, and are closer in size than Silva and GSP. But asked yesterday about whether a win over Bonnar would change his mind about a fight with Jones, he almost completely dismissed the idea. In fact, he also seemed to indicate that he may also bypass the GSP fight and stay right in his comfort zone.

"There's always been a lot of talks about me moving up to 205," he said through an interpreter. "I know Dana [White] has talked about it a lot. All the fans have talked about me moving up and facing Jon Jones. But it's something I've never wanted. I won't be pretentious to say that I'd want to move up, especially because there are other guys in that weight class on our team like [Rafael] 'Feijao' Cavalcante and [Antonio Rogerio] ''Minotoro'' Nogueira. There are other guys who could potentially face Jon Jones in the future. What got me this far is I’m grounded. My weight class is 185. I’m 37 years old and I feel I need to be honest and continue what I’ve built, which is to keep defending my belt at 185."

Of course, this flies directly in the face of exactly what he is preparing to do, which is fighting out of his division. Silva also made the same offer to fight at light-heavyweight to save the ultimately doomed UFC 151 card. So there are times when it seems like he's perfectly willing to compete at the higher weight, and others where he seems to suggest it's an illogical thought.
source
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15312

PostSubject: Re: Anderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen   Anderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:57 pm

wish he would jones/silva super fight does sound better than gsp/silva. the size alone is a pretty big problem.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59432

PostSubject: Re: Anderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen   Anderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Quote :
The two share similarly lanky body types, and are closer in size than Silva and GSP.
I've heard this before, and I can say for sure that when speaking of superfights, it definitely is not as simple as saying "these two are closer in size". I've seen (and been involved in) enough debates to know that "size" can be interpreted so many different ways that you could literally make the case for every opinion you felt like having.
I'm not gonna even attempt to present a case for who Silva is closer to in size for two reasons.
1) I really don't care if he ever fights either GSP or Jones. I'm not that interested.
2) It's impossible to prove or convince anybody one way or the other, because it always comes down to differing opinions of what the fighter "walks around at" in terms of weight. That's one of the most painfully inconclusive debates you ever want be part of.

What I will say is that the fighter who is in the middle weight class in these situations (which in this case actually is "middleweight") is in the most unenviable position of the three. Silva is truly in a lose-lose situation if he fought either GSP or Jones, and that's why I don't want him to do it. When you throw in the fact that Silva is still unsteadily perched at the top of the P4P rankings and possibly could go down as the greatest ever, what would beating GSP do for him? And if he beat Jones, it might help his legacy a little, but not nearly as much as it would hurt his legacy if he lost.

Don't take the bait, Silva. Please, just keep doing what you're doing.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12598

PostSubject: Re: Anderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen   Anderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 7:14 am

Size or no size I think Silva vs GSP is a much closer and even fight than Silva vs Jones.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59432

PostSubject: Re: Anderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen   Anderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 10:20 pm

Yeah, probably.
t seems like Jones is able to manhandle fighters much more skilled than him with just sheer physicality. I don't think it would be any different with Silva, although when speaking about "skilled fighters", Silva might have enough to counteract that physicality.

GSP vs Silva is one of those wrestler vs striker matches, and they are usually fun to watch, but I don't know....it's just meh to me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen   Anderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen Empty

Back to top Go down

Anderson Silva says win or lose, no superfight with Jon Jones will happen
Page 1 of 1