The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* Vote_lcapUFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* Voting_barUFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* Vote_lcapUFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* Voting_barUFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*

Go down 
+4
samger2
Chrom
FistK
Triggerman99
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* Empty
PostSubject: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 2:07 am

Wow......

First things first, congratulations to Chris Weidman. He did exactly what he was supposed to do, and capitalized on Silva's mistake. He deserved that win, and deserves to be the guy who finally toppled Anderson Silva.

With that said;

What in the holy blue fuck was Silva doing?!?!?!
There are going to be those extremist conspiracy theorists who are going to say "Silva wanted to be beaten! He is tired of being the MW champion!"
I say no; no fucking way. That's just stupid. Nobody wants to get knocked out. However, the way he was acting in needs to be addressed.
Silva obviously did not respect Weidman's striking (was that overstating the obvious? lol)
He has clowned around before- we all remember the Maia and Leites fights. But in those fights, he was clearly in control. In this fight, he lost the first round, but still figured it would be a good idea to try and and punk Weidman and bait him into making a mistake on which he could capitalize. For me personally, I was pumped when Silva escaped back to his feet after the takedown in the first, and said to myself "That's the best Weidman has for Silva. Silva was able to get back up, so he's got this in the bag." But then Silva started clowning around.....I mean REALLY clowning around. I was watching him do this and just thinking "OK, that's enough now. Time to fight, come on...."
But he didn't stop clowning. He kept going....and going....... and going......until Weidman finally landed a hard shot and more or less put him out with one punch.

IMO it's pretty simple; Silva underestimated Weidman. I think that's pretty obvious. As a Silva fan, I'm pissed off at Silva. He's still the best fighter in the world in my eyes, but as a professional, he let me down. He should be ashamed of himself. This is pro fighting, and you got KO'd because you acted like an asshole. That's really all there is to it. Silva got away with clowning before, and this time it bit him in the ass. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

To summarize, Silva took all the legitimacy out of this fight by acting like an asshole. It didn't really prove that Weidman is the unquestionably better fighter than Silva, but Silva got exactly what he deserved by getting his lights put out. Even as a fan, I feel he got what was coming to him, and I hope he realizes that.

Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12619

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 7:52 am

I don't think it had anything to do with Silva not taking Weidman seriously (not saying you said that btw, but thats all the shit im reading on the net this morning). I think Silva did not like getting taken down in the first round, because Weidman was trying to hit him hard so he was trying to clown Weidman into fighting a standup fight with him. It wasnt like Silva chucked Weidman off him on the ground. Weidman went for a heel hook and didnt get it.
I think Silva thought if he clowned Chris Chris would stand with him and he got caught while doing it.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22859

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 9:12 am

I'm in the same boat as FistK. Silva got taken down and saw what it was like there. HE didn't like it and tried to taunt Chris into a stand up fight. Hoping he would react to the taunting and the crowd, rush in sloppy and get matrixed.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10314

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 9:58 am

I guess it had to happen sooner or later, I'm just really in shock. I honestly didn't think it would be Weidman to topple Silva, but I hope this is a wake up call to him to stop clowning and to actually fight. Congrats to Weidman, awesome job achieving the impossible.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 4:47 pm

Yeah I don't mean to imply that Weidman didn't threaten Silva on the ground. I just mean Silva showed he could deal with it and not get overwhelmed. That's what gave me the confidence that Silva was gonna start to have some success. He was most certainly trying to clown Weidman and bait him in; that's what he does. But my point is he did it waaaaaay too much, and that ultimately was his downfall.
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7968

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 8:46 pm

i dont know what else can be said about the fight. it is an obvious case of silva paying for his taunting against somebody that probably has studied his faints. this is the first time i have ever seen silva move in the same direction as the punch. weidman threw the punch anticipating anderson to move in the same direction; did his homework.
and the taunting was obviously the result of silva trying to throw weidman off his game. anderson always gets up from the ground angry and usually manages to throw opponents off with change of rhythm. i have a feeling silva knew that if it gets to the ground again, it would be more dangerous than in the first round.
nonetheless , we'll see what silva comes back with. i actually turned the corner with silva and was rooting for him, based on the shear immensity of his talent. i hope its not the "fedor case", where the first sort of a fluke loss is the beginning of the end.
btw the post fight interview was so weird. anderson just kept spewing the same " i want to fight but not for the belt" bullshit. at least weidman didnt bullshit around and knew who made him win. god.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 6:36 am

I also think that Weidman's reach surprised Anderson. I don't think he thought Weidman could tag him from where he was.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 6:42 am

Or it could of just been that the matirx failed.

UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* IbrnlRizZSYChQ
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 9:05 am

This loss has bothered me more than any other loss since I've been watching the UFC. Anderson shouldn't have lost this fight. Here come the excuses I suppose......but did Silva not care if he lost? All he really did was throw some leg kicks. How UN-Silva is that? Sure he always clowns a bit, but this much? I guess he thoroughly underestimated Weidman. Anderson GAVE him that fight, just handed it to him...Weidman really had nothing to challenge Anderson with...but Anderson chose not to fight him. Rookie mistakes of dropping your hands and standing in front of someone thinking he can't hit you. Bah! I'm so bothered by the outcome of this fight because I still don't think Weidman is HALF the fighter Anderson is...and now the division is going to be flash in the pan champions one after another now that Silva is no longer on top. Weidman will be lucky to keep the title for one defense. Then we'll get someone like Munoz that'll get it...and lose it to someone like Vitor...who will lose it...on and on and on. Boooo.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 10:15 am

Sam,

Can't it just be possible that you were wrong about Weidman?  There were certainly enough other people in the mma community that thought Weidman was good enough to beat Silva and Vegas definitely felt the same as the odds dropped all the way down to +150 by fight time.  

I don't know how you can say Weidman had nothing to challenge Anderson with and is half the fighter he is?  Even in the first round before he started taunting him, Weidman took him down and was winning.  People keep saying (not you) that if Silva took him more seriously he would of won easy, but I think that's ridiculous.

In the first round when they were fighting "seriously" Weidman took him down and was GnPing.  He went for a heel hook and Silva got out.  Silva started taunting him to keep the fight standing and let's face it it was working.  I was rooting for Weidman and even though he won the first round I didn't like the way the fight was going because he was letting his machismo get the best of him and abandoning his gameplan and standing with Anderson.  But, imo if Anderson hadnt started clowning him and landed a few hard shots and took him "seriously" Weidman would of continued the takedown and GnP approach.  But Silva taunted him to keep it standing which was working and then got caught.

Either way I think it was Weidman's night and I think it is his time.  "Serious" fight or not "serious" fight I think Weidman was going to do what a lot of us thought he would.

He's a damn good fighter.  Fantastic wrestling, great jiu jitsu game, and an improving standup game with a lot of punching power.  I am not going to compare him to Hendo like some are, because that is utterly ridiculous, but I think you have to like his chances against anyone.  Pure standup guys he can hang with long enough to take down and pound.  Pure ground guys he is showing the punching power and standup to hurt.

I am doubtful he's got a seven year Silva reign in him, but let's give him a chance...
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 10:49 am

Yes, it's entirely possible that I was wrong about Weidman...no question. I just am not sold yet. I don't think he fought the best Anderson...the best Anderson is a jaw dropping master of standup...not a hands dropping moron that abandons all evidence of being a champion. Time will tell. I will definitely give Weidman a chance...he did what I thoroughly did NOT expect him to do. He's deserving of that win...but I'm not sold just yet.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 10:52 am

samger2 wrote:
the best Anderson is a jaw dropping master of standup...not a hands dropping moron that abandons all evidence of being a champion.  

You are definitely not the only one that feels that way.  I think it was really telling to hear the way a crowd that was predominantly rooting for Silva at the beginning of the fight was booing him when it was over.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 12:16 pm

Just read this on bleacher report...kinda sums up what I was saying about things seeming like Silva didn't care...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1657745-anderson-silva-vs-chris-weidman-and-the-weirdness-that-was

Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 12:33 pm

Lol @ anderson throwing the fight. I knew people would say that when it finally happened.

His eyes were rolled back in his skull, haha.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 1:31 pm

Tell us how you really feel Chris... lol
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 2:24 pm

I definitely don't think he threw the fight. I do wonder though if his heart wasn't in it and maybe he didn't really care? I dunno.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 2:36 pm

I'm kind of halfway with Samger here on what this proves about both Weidman and Silva. I would never say (and never did say) that Weidman couldn't have won this fight, but as fans of Silva like Samger and I are, this was a very confusing and frustrating thing to see. To know what Silva is capable of doing and to then watch him go in there and do what he did is mind boggling.
And FistK,
Yes, you are correct that there were a lot of people picking Weidman to win, but nobody on Earth would have guessed it was going to happen the way it did. All I heard from everybody and their mother was that Weidman has the wrestling to take Silva down and the jiu-jitsu to finish him or at least control him there (there were some other small variations sprinkled in here and there, but that was the long and short of it). I don't think anyone in their right mind actually would have said "OK here's what's gonna happen: Silva is gonna get taken down, take a little damage, and then eventually scramble back to his feet after Weidman goes for a sub. Then he's gonna immediately drop his hands and do The Dougie for the remainder of the fight until Weidman catches him while his hands are down and he's pretending to be dazed. Weidman wins by KO".
All I'm saying is 1) let's not pretend like this is the outcome that all the "experts" were predicting, and 2) Silva's antics had more to do with putting himself in the position he was in than Weidman did.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 2:54 pm

I totally agree Trigger...here's the statement that is gonna piss some people off...Silva handed that belt to Chris on a freaking golden platter. I give it to Weidman for being tenacious and going after it when Silva left his head hanging out there...he's played these games with other opponents and gotten away with it...Maia..Griffin...Cote...he just didn't get away with it this time. I give Weidman credit for getting the win, but I stand VERY strong by the fact that he's not half the fighter Silva is and...in this huge game of what ifs....IF Silva had chosen to fight, his trememdous standup advantage would've decimated Weidman.

Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35201

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 3:09 pm

I hate the word "if" when talking about the past.

There are probably a dozen guys in the UFC that are an "if" word or two away from being the current champ.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 3:12 pm

I know...and I agree, because "if" is really null and void. This one is just a tough pill to swallow for me. I just don't really feel that the better fighter won.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 3:33 pm

I think what is being ignored here is the whole first round of the fight... where Silva couldn't get shit going... Weidman got out of the way of the majority of Silva's heavy strikes
UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* Funny_Anderson_Silva_Misses_Chris_Weidman_UFC_162,
took him down
UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* Throws_slams_Chris_Weidman_Takes_Down_Anderson_Silva_UFC_162,
threatened on the ground and tagged Andy standing and on the ground...
Yeah Silva acted like he wasn't swayed by any of the strikes Chris landed, but he was.
UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* Funny_Anderson_Silva_Pretends_Not_to_Get_Hurt_UFC_162
No one had touched him like that while he was pulling his evasion tactics.

I think it's bullshit how Chris is being robbed of the glory he deserves! He did the unthinkable... KTFO of "The Greatest of All Time" Anderson Silva. He could have taken it to the ground and did what most thought he could/where he had the best chance... but instead he beats The Spider at his own game and gets little to no respect from a large majority of the MMA community. All over the interwebz I see tons of "back handed compliments" if you will.
RAGING! 
Back to top Go down
Mogal
Sparring Partner
Sparring Partner
Mogal

Standard Cash : 6216

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 6:00 pm

Chris must be pissed. I know I would be...
Its earned, but cheaply.

Its got to feel like fighting a drunk guy at a bar... Hes drunk, being an idiot
and wont get out of your face, so you drop him to make him go away...
Then you feel bad for taking advantage of the ass.

but this time, you get a belt and a paycheck Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/imogal/mogal
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 6:15 pm

Chrom wrote:
I think it's bullshit how Chris is being robbed of the glory he deserves! He did the unthinkable... KTFO of "The Greatest of All Time" Anderson Silva. He could have taken it to the ground and did what most thought he could/where he had the best chance... but instead he beats The Spider at his own game and gets little to no respect from a large majority of the MMA community. All over the interwebz I see tons of "back handed compliments" if you will.
RAGING! 
Well, now you know how it feels! It's really, really irritating when a fighter you like does something impressive and people make excuses about it, isn't it?
As bullshit as it is to you that people are pointing out things that you don't want to hear, it's equally bullshit to me that some people want to act like this was just a case of Silva just straight-up getting his ass handed to him on the fight in a bonafide toe-to-toe striking match; as if he wasn't clowning around and dropping hands and letting Weidman throw shots at him. Yeah, sure. None of that happened. It's just that Weidman is a far superior striker to Anderson fucking Silva, right? Give me a break.....
He didn't "beat the Spider at his own game", Anderson acted like an asshole and got knocked stupid for it. That's what he gets. End of story.
Sorry your boy isn't universally getting the credit you feel he deserves, but do you think maybe there's a reason for that? And maybe that reason is that we all saw the fight, and we all saw Anderson doing something so unbelievably stupid that most of us aren't even really all that surprised that he got beat because of it? Nobody is making anything up here. We all saw what happend during that fight.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 8:05 pm

Quote :
He didn't "beat the Spider at his own game", Anderson acted like an asshole and got knocked stupid for it. That's what he gets. End of story.
Sorry your boy isn't universally getting the credit you feel he deserves, but do you think maybe there's a reason for that? And maybe that reason is that we all saw the fight, and we all saw Anderson doing something so unbelievably stupid that most of us aren't even really all that surprised that he got beat because of it? Nobody is making anything up here. We all saw what happend during that fight.
His game is what we saw. He acts like an asshole in the cage often enough that Weidman trained for it for Christ sake. Taunting, the 5 D's and striking are his bread and butter. You can't praise him for his matrix style greatness one minute and then when it doesn't work on someone say "Well that's what the dumb ass gets." All the while discrediting his opponent, who just knocked him the fuck out.

Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 8:30 pm

I've never praised him for the clowning. I've never once condoned it or said it was a good idea. His striking and movement are insanely fun to watch and i've always said so, but that dancing around bullshit is not, and I've never said so. I said during the fight (take my word for it or not) that he better stop that clowning around shit if he knows what's good for him. He didn't, and he got knocked out because of it. That's what I saw, and apparently so did a shit ton of other people. That's not me being contradictory and trying to pick and choose what I want to believe. That's me making an observation.
And nobody is discrediting Weidman. We're just not blindly saying "It was a KO! Nothing else to say, folks!" I said Weidman did exactly what he was supposed to do and capitalized on Silva's idiocy. That's not enough? What do you want me to say, Weidman is the new fucking King of Earth and we should all be lining up to present him with our first born child?
Your guy won. Be happy. You're not going to get the universal, unconditional praise for him that you're looking for. Trust me, I know. I'm a Silva fan, remember?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*   UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS* Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC 162 Discussion *SPOILERS*
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next