The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*) Vote_lcapUFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*) Voting_barUFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*) Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*) Vote_lcapUFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*) Voting_barUFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*) Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*) Empty
PostSubject: UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*)   UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*) EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 1:07 pm

The card overall I thought was pretty good. A lot of times when there's a pretty stacked card like this it ends up being a huge letdown, but this one didnt disappoint IMO.
Dos Anjos straight up imposed his will on Pettis! I haven't really seen anybody do that to him before. Guida managed to smother him on the ground, but dos Anjos was constantly in his face on the feet as well. He was winning almost every exchange and landing takedowns almost at will. Great fight by dos Anjos. I think it's a safe bet he's gonna have to try to avenge his loss to Nurmagomedov for his first title defense.
I think it's a safe bet I'm gonna have to learn her last name soon, but for now I'll just call her Joanne, and she looks like a straight up killer! I don't see anybody beating this chick in that division. Esparza is known as a takedown machine, and Joanne stuffed nearly all of them and made it look easy in the process. On the feet she looks like possibly the best WMMA striker in the world. Watching her in this fight almost made me feel bad for Carla. It was like watching a lion run down a wounded gazelle. But then I remember that Esparza is oatmeal personified and literally did nothing but shoot for takedowns over and over and over again for the entire fight yet again, and I immediately wanted to see her get hit in the face a whole bunch of times.
Nelson/Overeem was good, and went pretty much as expected, with both guys having their moments and each getting rocked a few times. I'd watch that fight 10 more times if it was booked.
Matt Brown once again showed his toughness, and once again demonstrated that its just not quite enough against the top guys in the division. This isn't a knock on him, but I'd like to see him drop down the ladder a little and take on a guy who isn't top 5 in the division. I just think that's the kind of fights he should taking.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22859

PostSubject: Re: UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*)   UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*) EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 8:41 pm

Hello Oatmeal, I would like to introduce you to my friend Fruity Dyno Bites with Marshmallows!!!
UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*) Fruity_dyno_bites_w_marshmellows_joana
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

PostSubject: Re: UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*)   UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*) EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 10:13 pm

LOL!!!
Don't tell me you found that on the web like that!!
I thought the oatmeal joke was an MMAStandard exclusive!
cheers

Last edited by Triggerman99 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15333

PostSubject: Re: UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*)   UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 7:49 am

2 fights i really want to see Joanna have.

1. rose Namajunas
2. Joanne Calderwood.

Both fights would be great!!!!
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22859

PostSubject: Re: UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*)   UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 2:48 pm

Triggerman99 wrote:
LOL!!!
Don't tell me you found that on the web like that!!
I thought the oatmeal joke was an MMAStandard exclusive!
cheers
Haha, no I made that one special just for you Wink
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Standard Cash : 10261

PostSubject: Re: UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*)   UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*) EmptyTue Mar 17, 2015 8:17 pm

overeem looked excellent in his fight. i love the way he mixed his strikes up.
i wish nelson would do other things than just swing for the fences. id love to see him incorporate his ground game into the mix.
matt brown is a tough dude but was just out wrestled by hendricks
johnny hendricks clearly lost his finishing abilities and he is going the same route gsp went with the lay and pray. id like to see him fight woodley
watching carla get her ass kicked like that made me feel bad for her similar to what trig said.
showtime really overlooked rda in my opinion. I think pettis could put up a better fight than no fight at all. i personally would like to see a rematch
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3792

PostSubject: Re: UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*)   UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*) EmptyThu Mar 19, 2015 1:24 am

I didn't think there was a bad fight on the whole card. I've got mixed feelings on the RDA-Pettis fight, on the one hand I really like Pettis and he'd been so dominanat that I wouldn't pick against him. On the other hand I've been a fan of RDA since that leg lock attempt in the fight with Tyson Griffin and am absolutely elated that he's improved so much since then. Seriously, did anyone think all that time ago that he'd end up fucking champion? We'd seen in past fights that Pettis's weakest area is getting controlled in the clinch (both Henderson and Melendez had sucess there ,but he ended up coming back decisively). RDA cpmpletely dominated and shutdown Pettis the whole fight, that being said (and as others have said) Khabib Nurmagomedov is probably smiling so big right now. I'm also excited to see how Petiis will adjust, he strikes me as the type of guy who will take this fight to hard and improve big time.

Matt Brown landed a good knee and elbow combo in the clinch and a nice flurry of strikes from bottom in the 3rd ,but otherwise was completely dominated by Hendricks. Hendricks got the better of most of the striking (he didn't look as solid as his last fight, seriously those leg kick combos were fucking beautiful last time), but didn't really need it because he could just lift Brown over his shoulder and bring him down at will. I thought he landed some good strikes on the ground (similarly to Rosholt) ,but like Rosholt also struggles with landing clean strikes on the ground. Brown seems to be in a weird position right now where he's one of the better guys ,but clearly not good enough to be champion.

Alistair Overeem looked great both in terms of physique and performance. I liked how he was agressive with a variety of striking techniques while avoiding gassing himself out. It was a beautiful example of controlled agression. On the other hand Nelso managed to get in his own share of good shots ,but I don't think he'll ever really progress.

Sergio Pettis was doing good ,but then got caught and finished brutally. I don't really know what to think of his wrestling skills, he's always been able to get the takedown ,but is also really susceptible to takedowns as well. Aditionally, he seems to take a lot of uncecessary shot in every fight I've seen him in. I liked that Benoit had that killer instinct. I've got mixed feeling on the literal kick in the ass after the fight had been stopped, on the one hand it's a dick move, but on the other hand a literal kick in the ass generally isn't too dangerous. That being said it reminded me of Nick Diaz's middle finger triangle comback.

Cejudo seems to be a good striker, but I liked that he doesn't seem to mind mixing it in with his Olympic level wrestling which is a good sign. It frusturates me when world class grapplers refuse to grapple because they fell in love with striking. He totally dominated that fight.

Joanna looked great, her striking was fucking brutal and her defensive wrestling looked great as well. She completely destroyed Esparza.

Germaine de Randamie, similar to Joanna, completely destroyed her opponent with much superior kickboxing.

I like Rosholt even though he needs work on both his striking and GnP, I liked that he really went after those takedowns at the end though, and took the time to start landing more powerful strikes on the ground.

Joseph Duffy looked fucking impressive, he was dominating the striking before landing a powerful fucking head kick and finishing Lindsey with punches.

Overall this fight card sort of snuck up on me and I thought it fucking delivered.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*)   UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*) Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC 185 Discussion (*SPOILERS*)
Page 1 of 1