The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali Vote_lcapSonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali Voting_barSonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali Vote_lcapSonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali Voting_barSonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali

Go down 
+2
DEP
Chrom
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22852

Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali Empty
PostSubject: Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali   Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 9:43 am

Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali Sonnen10
Quote :
In recent years, Chael Sonnen has proven himself as a master of self-promotion. So why is it that in advance of his UFC 159 clash with Jon Jones, he seems more interesting in hyping his opponent than himself?

"I don't regret anything ever," Sonnen said on a Tuesday media call promoting UFC 159. "But as far as my perception of Jon, I mean, it changed in about 30 seconds – about the first 30 seconds I was around him. I mean, he's a good guy. He's a very nice guy.

"You know, I hear people that insult him a lot, and I'm going, 'Well wait a second, this guy is the world champion. This guy has achieved what everybody else is dreaming of.' I think people should copy Jon more than attempt to correct me."

Jones (17-1 MMA, 11-1 UFC) and Sonnen (27-12-1 MMA, 6-5 UFC) headline Saturday's pay-per-view event, which takes place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

It's a bold new world for Sonnen, who's probably best known for his epic (and sometimes maniacal) rants ahead of a pair of clashes with UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. Sonnen has also offered a few choice words for Jones in past years, honing in specifically on the UFC champion's 2012 DUI arrest.

It was that tension that was expected to play a central role on "The Ultimate Fighter 17," where the two served as coaches in advance of their title fight. However, Sonnen instead appeared to take the "kill him with kindness" approach.

On Tuesday, Sonnen continued his praise for Jones' work as a head coach on the show.

"He cared a lot about his team," Sonnen said. "He took coaching very seriously. He was on time every time. And he inspired a bunch of guys that really needed it. … They looked up to him, and he was there for them. And, you know, I think he should be credited for that.

"He was a nice person. And, you know, there's not a lot else I can say."

In fairness, it wouldn't serve much purpose to question the skills of Jones, who at just 25 years old can tie Tito Ortiz's record of five consecutive UFC light heavyweight title defenses with a victory.

Of course, that didn't stop Sonnen from attacking Silva, who's widely regarded as the best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet. But the self-proclaimed "gangster from West Linn, Oregon" isn't taking that approach this time around. In fact, it's quite the opposite, and when Jones admitted he aspires to have his name one day mentioned alongside pugilistic greats Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali, Sonnen suggested he was already there.

"As great as Jon is, I don't think that he understands how good he is," Sonnen said. "You know, for him to pay tribute to Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali earlier was a very nice thing for him to do. The reality is Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali in the same day.

"And when he says he wants to be the best ever, Jon, news flash, buddy, you are the best. And as far as tying Tito Ortiz, yes maybe he had a couple more wins but he hasn't had the competition that you've faced. And, you know, that's not a secret. I'm not going to degrade Jon or what he's done. He's the world champion. He's the best in the weight class, and he's the best the weight class has ever seen."
continued...
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9485

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali   Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 10:59 am

albino
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35194

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali   Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 12:05 pm

IMO, it's in your best interest to hype the guy you are going to fight.
If people buy the hype, it just makes your win that much better and your loss not a big deal.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59446

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali   Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 2:04 pm

This is like the eleventeenth time Sonnen has talked about how great Jones is. it basicly just boils down to this;

Sonnen-"You guys don't understand! This guy is amazing! In fact, he's so good that you guys should not even think anything of it at all if he beats me. You should just write it off and not hold it against me at all, you know, because he's so fantastic. On the other hand, if I can beat him-oh man!!! That would make me, like, a god or something! Just something for you guys to keep in mind, you know?"
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9485

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali   Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 5:42 pm

stock wrote:
If people buy the hype, it just makes your win that much better and your loss not a big deal.
agre

Guys do it after the fight even worse. "Guys, give it up for _____________ he's such a fucking warrior man he's great his camp is one of the best in the game he was so tough in the clinch and he almost got me caught in the blah 400 times...". The only thing they leave out is the "...and I just beat him." part. It's like an indirect way to brag about yourself.
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7961

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali   Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 8:27 pm

DEP wrote:
stock wrote:
agre

Guys do it after the fight even worse. "Guys, give it up for _____________ he's such a fucking warrior man he's great his camp is one of the best in the game he was so tough in the clinch and he almost got me caught in the blah 400 times...". The only thing they leave out is the "...and I just beat him." part. It's like an indirect way to brag about yourself.

i think its two different reasons to say the same thing. after the fight, the winners are praising the loser as misguided sportsmanship. usually, its seems, it is done without ill intention. maybe, with just a little of bragging going on.
in the case of sonnen saying crap like this, its purely for the purpose of psyching jones out and then for the purpose of keeping his stock high in the very probably event of destruction.
war sonnen
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12612

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali   Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 8:55 am

Haha, what a cynical bunch we are...lol cheers
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59446

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali   Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 2:29 pm

FistK wrote:
Haha, what a cynical bunch we are...lol cheers
Cynical is my middle name;

Triggerman Cynical Bonerfartfacehump.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali   Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali Empty

Back to top Go down

Sonnen: Jon Jones could beat up Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali
Page 1 of 1