The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers* Vote_lcapUFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers* Voting_barUFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers* Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers* Vote_lcapUFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers* Voting_barUFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers* Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers*

Go down 
+3
Chrom
stock
Snake Five
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3780

UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers* Empty
PostSubject: UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 1:04 pm

Awesome night of fights.

Ryan Bader vs Vladimir Matyushenko- Bader was impressive here, just rocked the Janitor right off the bat and then finished him with a guillotine.

Pascal Krauss vs Mike Stumpf- Close fight at first ,but eventually Krauss took control utilizing his reach, better combos, and leg kicks. He was also able to get up almost immediately on most of the takedowns , essentially negating them.

Clay Guida vs Hatsu Hioki- Hioki won the first round with his striking and did a good job throughout the fight utilizing an active guard, constantly going for submissions ,but Guida was able to use his takedowns and slams to control Hioki for the last two rounds giving him the win.

TJ Grant vs Matt Wiman- Grant really impressed me here, the way he'd throw 2-3 knees in the Thai Clinch and then exit with an elbows was beautiful and it was exactly that that gave him the TKO.

Ricardo Lamas vs Erik Koch- I've liked Lamas ever since his WEC debut. He dominated here using his side kicks ,before getting a takedown in the second round and then just obliterating Koch with GnP elbows.

Anthony Pettis vs Donald Cerrone- Pettis looked really good here running Cerrone against the cage with punches, hitting a fucking Showtime knee, and then finishing Cerrone with a fucking liver kick. All of this happened in the first fucking round!

Glover Teixeira vs Rampage Jackosn- Glover was able to beat Rampage with his striking and takedowns for all three rounds ,but this was the worst he's looked. He's going to have to tighten up his looping punches and add more vesatility to his striking game or I see him getting picked apart.

Demetrious Johnson vs John Dodson- This was a much better flyweight title fight. I thought Dodson took the first three round with his striking and constantly dropping Johnson. Johnson battled back the last two rounds though. In the forth he utilized that front headlok position against the cage beautifully landing knees constantly to the head whenever it was legal and when it wasn't he'd continue to attack sapping the cardio from Dodson with knees to the body and legs. In the forth round he continued this with just wicked knees in the thai clinch. I thought Dodson won unless you give Johnson a 10-8 round. Either way while I've had nothing against Johnson this was the first fight of his that I was really impressed by him. Also liked how McCarthy (I think it was him) would let Johnson know whenever the knees were legal or not after the first accidental illegal one.

What the hell did you guys think?
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35189

PostSubject: Re: UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 1:15 pm

Awesome night of fights.
Agree about the title fight. I thought Dodson clearly won the first three rounds and Johnson the last 2. I just don't like Johnson's style where he just hops around like a coked up monkey for 5 rounds. Was glad to see Dodson time the jumping around perfectly about 5 times in the first three rounds rocking him good. I felt this actually made Johnson fight in the last two rounds.
Glover looked good again, but his standup worries me a bit. He drops his hands way too often and leaves himself open to counters. If Jackson wasn't throwing some of those counter haymakers with his eyes closed, Glover could have gotten clipped.
I wish Glover would use his strikes to set up takedowns, where he is clearly dominant.
TJ Grant looked incredible!
Koch looked like the better fighter, but props to Lamas for taking advantage of Koch's screw up when he tried to pounce on the slip.
Guida being guida and winning a fight while doing nothing at all. Hioki landed all the better punches/kicks and looked much more crisp... even from his back. The only thing Guida did was get that one big slam... but like all his other takedowns didn't cause any damage after going to the ground. Clearly the judges put 100% emphasis on top position. I loved Rogan's, "the judge who scored that 30-27 should be fired."
Shawn Jordan looked good too. He weathered the early storm from Russow and than just poured it on in the second. He's now finished Lavar Johnson, Oli Thompson, and Russow. His only loss was to Kongo via boring decision where Kongo only won by getting takedowns. It looks like Jordan's wrestling has improved a bit since that fight.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22847

PostSubject: Re: UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 7:59 pm

Well I guess that makes three of us... I thought Dodson should have gotten the W. Johnson won the last 2 rounds with knees and speed, but he got his ass dropped multiple times. 3 times in the second round? I thought that could have been a 10-8... hell some boxing matches are over with after 3 knockdowns. Didn't like the decision at all.

I thought Rampage looked to be his typical self. But, Glover looked worse than I had expected. He definitely has some work to do, but his power will likely get him by while he tightens every thing up.

Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7956

PostSubject: Re: UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 10:07 pm

i get so mad at rampage for refusing to incorporate other parts of mma, such as leg kicks and takedowns. yeah, his boxing is effective and pretty but these days, thats all she wrote.
im just bitter that old school is dying out. but it didnt have to be that way, if only some of them decided to learn new skills.
now, we'll just have to watch mainly bland class of fighters.

anyway, personally, i have no problem with the dodson decision. he didnt finish johnson and he ended up in a really bad position at the end. probably, giver 1 more minute, he would have been tko'd. thats not a win in my book.
i dont like johnson's style but he won.
pettis was fucking awesome. so entertaining and at the same time, effective. those, off the cage hits and kicks are his trade-mark now. and that capoiera kick was quick as hell. overall, cawboy is much slower and needs to more his fucking head and feet.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15321

PostSubject: Re: UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers* EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 7:53 am

Chrom wrote:
Well I guess that makes three of us... I thought Dodson should have gotten the W. Johnson won the last 2 rounds with knees and speed, but he got his ass dropped multiple times. 3 times in the second round? I thought that could have been a 10-8... hell some boxing matches are over with after 3 knockdowns. Didn't like the decision at all.

I thought Rampage looked to be his typical self. But, Glover looked worse than I had expected. He definitely has some work to do, but his power will likely get him by while he tightens every thing up.

Make it four now. i thought dodson did enough to win this fight as well. Glover looked good just not great and i do agree with others that he needs to clean up his striking or people like machida,bader,Rua,Gussta well make short work of him.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35189

PostSubject: Re: UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers* EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 3:29 pm

Yeah, I generally don't feel bad for guys that can't get the finish. I just hate Johnson's style of "win on points every round".
I am not butt hurt over the decision other than the fact it just rewards Johnson and his style... so he has no incentive to switch it up and be a real FIGHTER (Guida falls into this category as well.... and even more painful to watch).
I thought Dodson clearly won the first two rounds. Johnson clearly the last round. However, Dodson also took a huge illegal knee. Not only did Johnson not get penalized, but Dodson had to fight 7.5 minutes after the damage was done.

It's kind of fucked up really.
Aside from the fact that I hate the "illegal" knees when a hand is on the ground.
However, a fighter purposely puts a hand on the ground so they can leave their head ungaurded from knees. And then they take one flush.
Get rid of the confusion and let these guys fight. You cannot tell me that a knee is more dangerous with a finger on the mat vs otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22847

PostSubject: Re: UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers* EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 4:08 pm

Yeah... why wasn't a point deducted? That kind of thing has ended fights... One thing I can say is Dodson is for real and he is clearly a damn good guy. I never saw him complain once and he had multiple legit gripes if he had wanted to complain... or even play it off like the knee did more damage than it had.
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 16386

PostSubject: Re: UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers* EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 5:35 pm

about the illega knee.....was def illegal but the point not being taken was pretty good call......there was another fight a while back....pretty sure it was jones vs belfort, and jones was doing his monkey crawl to the center and almost got his head kicked off and big john warned him and said something along the lines of "you mess around like that and see what happens".....anywho, i think when its that kind of a situation where the fighter is clearly using the loophole or exploiting the rule, i like the point not being taken and a warning being issued......i do however think there needs to be some concistancy with that judgment call.
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3780

PostSubject: Re: UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers* EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 5:42 pm

Oh yeah, I thought it was fucking awesome when Johnson climbed on Dodson like a fucking monkey and just kept throwing elbows.

I'd like to see that knee legality alert that I think McCarthy was doing implemented as a regular rule, seems like a easy way to avoid an unfortunate situation (except in Matt Hamill's case).

While I think ultimately the goal should be to finish your opponent, at the same time they shouldn't have to worry about such incompetent judges.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12607

PostSubject: Re: UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers* EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 7:04 am

I also thought Dodson edged him out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers* Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs Dodson Discussion *Spoilers*
Page 1 of 1