The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
UFC 210: CORMIER VS. JOHNSON 2 Discussion Vote_lcapUFC 210: CORMIER VS. JOHNSON 2 Discussion Voting_barUFC 210: CORMIER VS. JOHNSON 2 Discussion Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
UFC 210: CORMIER VS. JOHNSON 2 Discussion Vote_lcapUFC 210: CORMIER VS. JOHNSON 2 Discussion Voting_barUFC 210: CORMIER VS. JOHNSON 2 Discussion Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

UFC 210: CORMIER VS. JOHNSON 2 Discussion

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22836

UFC 210: CORMIER VS. JOHNSON 2 Discussion Empty
PostSubject: UFC 210: CORMIER VS. JOHNSON 2 Discussion   UFC 210: CORMIER VS. JOHNSON 2 Discussion EmptySun Apr 09, 2017 7:11 pm

So lets just get the elephant in the room out of the way. WTF was that clusterfuck of a co-main event? I don't understand at all how a fight ends with a TKO victory on an illegal knee... I know it wasn't illegal due to the replay... but that wasn't the call made on the spot and we can't just go back and change a call when Big John yells at you after he sees the replay on the jumbotron. I see people complaining saying Weidman was faking the injury and he was "milking it" so to speak... But wouldn't you take your 5 minutes when told you get them? That's not faking, that's fighting smart and by the rules set in front of you. I feel a bit bad for both fighters really, it was one of those endings that solves nothing and leaves a bad look on the company as well. Even though they aren't the people who run the commissions. How do you guys think this should have went down?

The main event pretty much went a lot like expected and similar to the first outing. I honestly thought that Rumble was going to win it this time and still feel like he has what it takes to beat DC... and pretty much the rest of the LHW division. But I guess now we will never know... wonder what his new career choice is...
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35178

PostSubject: Re: UFC 210: CORMIER VS. JOHNSON 2 Discussion   UFC 210: CORMIER VS. JOHNSON 2 Discussion EmptyMon Apr 10, 2017 7:28 am

Yeah, that was messed up.

That being said, if he took a knee that was bad enough for doctors to not let him go on, then technically they got it right. ..... even if they are not suppose to use replay in New York (which is a stupid rule anyway).

I guess I don't know what I am saying other than it sucks for both fighters.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59430

PostSubject: Re: UFC 210: CORMIER VS. JOHNSON 2 Discussion   UFC 210: CORMIER VS. JOHNSON 2 Discussion EmptyFri Apr 14, 2017 6:13 pm

I agree with the ruling.

Weidman was a victim of his own overselling.
And by that I don't mean taking the whole 5 minutes. I mean right after he took the knee he was acting like his life was flashing before his eyes because he didnt want to miss the opportunity to make sure Mousasi got penalized for what at the time was thought to be an illegal knee. Which hey, whatever. Do what you gotta do.
But then as soon as word got to him that the knee was legal he suddenly is a new man who looks like he can go 5 more rounds.
Same knee, 2 totally different reactions to it based on what he thought the end result was going to be.
That's why the fight was stopped. He didn't look like someone who could continue fighting right after the knee. He looked like a fighter unable to defend himself. So when it was determined that what made him that way was a perfectly legal strike, the fight was stopped, just like any other KO/TKO.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35178

PostSubject: Re: UFC 210: CORMIER VS. JOHNSON 2 Discussion   UFC 210: CORMIER VS. JOHNSON 2 Discussion EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 8:39 am

Yep, I've circled on this one a few times.
At the end of the day they got it right.
Guy takes a knee after which doctors agree he is unfit to continue.
The knee was legal.
TKO.

It may have been awkward how they got there, but it was ultimately the right call.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC 210: CORMIER VS. JOHNSON 2 Discussion   UFC 210: CORMIER VS. JOHNSON 2 Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC 210: CORMIER VS. JOHNSON 2 Discussion
Page 1 of 1