The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  Vote_lcapKongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  Voting_barKongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  Vote_lcapKongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  Voting_barKongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale

Go down 
+2
samger2
Chrom
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22848

Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  Empty
PostSubject: Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale    Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 11:23 am

There’s always more to the story when it comes to a fighter stepping in as a late replacement after an injury occurs.
The story this time around involves the Ultimate Fighter 16 finale
following Shane Carwin being forced out of his fight against fellow
coach Roy Nelson after suffering a knee injury.

While the eventual replacement was found in former
Ultimate Fighter competitor Matt Mitrione, the call did go out to some
other heavyweights.

One fighter who was offered the bout against Nelson, but turned it down was French born heavyweight Cheick Kongo.

According to a Twitter message via UFC President Dana White, the call was made to Kongo to see if he would accept the bout against Nelson in December.

“Kongo turned it down,” wrote White in response.

continued...
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10303

PostSubject: Re: Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale    Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 11:58 am

Probably afraid of Roy's ground game...we all know that's where Kongo suffers.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15322

PostSubject: Re: Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale    Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 12:50 pm

samger2 wrote:
Probably afraid of Roy's ground game...we all know that's where Kongo suffers.

what are you talking about kongo has one of the strongest ground games around and could tap out almost any one in the HW divison......and in other news i just saw a giant heard of pigs flying over my house... lol!
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12608

PostSubject: Re: Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale    Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 7:05 am

If i'm Dana I tell Joe Silva not to call Kongo for six months now.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

PostSubject: Re: Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale    Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 8:13 am

Kongo vs nelson would almost be as much of a mismatch as Overeem and Bigfoot are.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59442

PostSubject: Re: Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale    Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 4:04 pm

Apparently this is the 2nd time in a row that Kongo has turned down a fight.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

PostSubject: Re: Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale    Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 8:06 am

Triggerman99 wrote:

i have seen those articles too, Do you have any idea what the first fight he declined was? All i can find is that nelson was the 2nd time he declined a fight.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale    Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 8:41 am

Triggerman99 wrote:

Cut him.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5729

PostSubject: Re: Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale    Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Oh Kongo.... I'm sure if you headlined a ppv card you would make hundreds of dollars.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale    Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 2:44 pm

Gecko wrote:
Triggerman99 wrote:

i have seen those articles too, Do you have any idea what the first fight he declined was? All i can find is that nelson was the 2nd time he declined a fight.

Cormier, apparently.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/cheick-kongo-turned-down-fight-against-daniel-cormier-on-short-notice-wants-stefan-struve-next
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22848

PostSubject: Re: Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale    Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 3:02 pm

Well... to be fair that is an unwinnable fight for Kongo.... no matter how much time he has to prepare for Cormier.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

PostSubject: Re: Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale    Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Chrom wrote:
Well... to be fair that is an unwinnable fight for Kongo.... no matter how much time he has to prepare for Cormier.

i am a kongo fan and i have to agree with you 1000%. kongo would have at best an early round 1 punchers chance at best. but yeah i would have cormier beating kongo 19 out of 20 times if they fought. Maybe thats the biggest problem here with kongo. He wants stand up fighters and not so much ground guys. we saw how quick of a job mir did to him. Cormier and nelson probably both would have played out the same way too. But on the flip side of the coin kongo hasnt had any really impressive wins as of late and is losing his selling appeal. at times like this he should step up and take these fights even on short notice. atleast that would show he is a game fighter and will step up when ever needed.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale    Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Yeah, nothing gets you in Dana's good graces better than stepping up for the company and being in exciting fights.

Kongo is doing neither of those lately.

I get it that he wants to fight stand-up fighters, but it seems like when he does, he suddenly thinks he's a rassler and wants to take them down and work his GnP. What the hell?
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

PostSubject: Re: Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale    Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 4:53 pm

Triggerman99 wrote:
Yeah, nothing gets you in Dana's good graces better than stepping up for the company and being in exciting fights.

Kongo is doing neither of those lately.

I get it that he wants to fight stand-up fighters, but it seems like when he does, he suddenly thinks he's a rassler and wants to take them down and work his GnP. What the hell?

haha i know what excatly what you mean. i actually felt the same way when Bisping tried to shoot in on henderson. even me being the big bisping nuthugger that i am i was even going'really bisping?and what are you going to do even if that take down did work? anwser little to nothing" but then again things didnt go so well for him either in the stand up department of that fight either so what are you going to do... lol!
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale    Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 5:08 pm

What do you mean things didn't go so well for him in the stand-up department in the Henderson fight?
What happened? I can't really remember.
Can someone post a gif or something from that fight to remind me of how it ended? That would be really helpful in jogging my memory.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale    Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 9:27 am

lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale    Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale  Empty

Back to top Go down

Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale
Page 1 of 1