The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight Vote_lcapMir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight Voting_barMir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight Vote_lcapMir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight Voting_barMir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight

Go down 
+5
Krieger
Triggerman99
stock
butterknifeninja
Chrom
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22857

Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight Empty
PostSubject: Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight   Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 2:48 pm

Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight Mir410
Quote :
In an interview posted on MMAMania.com, former UFC heavyweight Champ tells why he turned down Werdum fight in Brazil.

“Werdum is a greatly improved fighter with phenomenal stand-up and I think his jiu-jitsu is some of the best in the world. The guy is awesome. The only reason why I at first said, ‘hmmm, maybe not a good idea’ when I found out he wanted to fight in June in Brazil. I was like, ‘Ah, I don’t know if that would be such a great idea, I don’t know if I’m gonna be that well received there.’ I’d have to go there for a whole week with my family, my wife and my children. I don’t think I’m in (Chael’s) boat yet, but at the same time if I go to a restaurant and someone is a Nogueira fan, what are they gonna do to my food? Brazilian fans, fans in general, can be kinda crazy and I’ve received quite a few crazy Emails. Google translate is a phenomenal thing but it kind of makes you cringe a little bit when you see what people wanna say.”

In other words, Mir doesn’t think too highly of Brazilian fans. Really? He’s afraid they’re going to poison his food? I had an uncle like that…would always have to sit with his back facing the wall at a restaurant for fear of being shot in the head. After all he was a janitor at the local junior high school so you know a lot of people wanted him dead. All I’m saying is, being a tough guy on the Internet and actually doing something harmful to someone in real life is completely different.
source

IDK... I don't blame him at all. Look at all the crazy shit "fans" have done in the past.
Back to top Go down
butterknifeninja
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
butterknifeninja

Standard Cash : 4014

PostSubject: Re: Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight   Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 2:56 pm

The correct topic title: "Mir blames Brazilian fans for him being a little bitch"
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35199

PostSubject: Re: Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight   Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 3:54 pm

I've said this before. I would never EVER agree to fight a Brazilian in Brazil. It's nothing to do about being a bitch.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59451

PostSubject: Re: Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight   Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 4:02 pm

I see his point to an extent. Nog is like a god down there, and it could be said that Mir severely damaged or even ended Nog's career (and livelyhood). I think Brazilian fans know better than to blame him personally for Nog letting his arm be broken, but sometimes emotion overtakes rational thought, and Mir probably is hated for what happened.

But on the other hand, this is your job. If you don't want the fight, fine. But if we're gonna open this can of worms, pretty much every fighter who beats a Brazilian fighter can say they're not going to ever fight in Brazil.

I think if Sonnen fights Silva in Brazil, everybody else should probably think good and long before they try and use this excuse.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35199

PostSubject: Re: Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight   Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 4:08 pm

That's his choice if he wants to risk his safety. Brazil is not a very civil country (to put it mildly). I'd have the same view about any country of the like. There are messed up people everywhere. Unfortunately Brazil is heavily skewed that way due to their countries socioeconomic status. Too many people who breath sports to the point they are willing to get extremely violent over it since they have very little to lose.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5738

PostSubject: Re: Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight   Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 4:55 pm

Heh Brazil's violent crime rate is amongst the highest in the world (4X that of the US in major crimes) and with a police force generally ineffective at best and corrupt at worst taking your family to a place like this should give any athlete pause for thought. Robberies of tourists is so common it barely attracts the attention of the police. Put yourself in a high profile rabid sport like mma heh I don't blame Frank at all.
Back to top Go down
Zacchaeus
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Zacchaeus

Standard Cash : 5405

PostSubject: Re: Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight   Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 6:21 pm

I said this in another thread, but I'll reiterate here. If Chael beats Anderson Silva in Brazil the UFC will never be able, or want, to go back to Brazil. They will crucify him and drag is body through the streets.
Back to top Go down
9Teen_AT4
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
9Teen_AT4

Standard Cash : 7713

PostSubject: Re: Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight   Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 12:15 pm

I don't blame him at all.
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9490

PostSubject: Re: Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight   Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 5:04 pm

stock wrote:
I've said this before. I would never EVER agree to fight a Brazilian in Brazil. It's nothing to do about being a bitch.

^^^
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15331

PostSubject: Re: Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight   Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 8:09 am

Probably for the best. It's not like he cant go fight in any other country i suppose.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight   Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight Empty

Back to top Go down

Mir blames Brazilian fans for him not taking Werdum fight
Page 1 of 1