The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement Vote_lcapWanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement Voting_barWanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement Vote_lcapWanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement Voting_barWanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement

Go down 
+2
lambhimself
9Teen_AT4
6 posters
AuthorMessage
9Teen_AT4
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
9Teen_AT4

Standard Cash : 7713

Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement Empty
PostSubject: Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement   Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 1:58 pm

Wanderlei Silva says Vitor Belfort rematch was lone fight he wanted before retirement
by Steven Marrocco and John Morgan on Jan 12, 2012 at 1:15 pm ET

Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement Wanderlei-silva-13

Quote :
With the exception of injuries or an act of God, Wanderlei Silva and Vitor Belfort will fight after Belfort meets Anthony Johnson on Saturday at UFC 142.

How much does Silva want to fight Belfort?

"A lot," he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) during open workouts for the pay-per-view event, which takes place at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. "This is one fight I really, really want to do before I retire. I'm so happy for a fight with this guy in Brazil."

Silva (34-11-1 MMA, 4-6 UFC), who coaches opposite Belfort (20-9 MMA, 9-5 UFC) in the first Brazil-based edition of "The Ultimate Fighter," said the two will fight in Sao Paulo, where the two met some 14 years ago at "UFC Brazil: Ultimate Brazil" (UFC 17.5) and tryouts for the reality show recently took place.

Rumor has it a soccer stadium might host the coaches' fight, which is a long way from the venue that hosted their first meeting. Silva said all the fight teams were crammed into the same dressing room at "UFC Brazil," so he warmed up in the restrooms as people relieved themselves nearby.

Quite a long way, indeed.

There are now queues of fans lined up to get the autographs of fighters in Brazil. The sport wasn't outlaw back then – fighting was everywhere – but it wasn't celebrated in the way it is now.

With his coaching gig on "TUF," which airs in Brazil on Globo and in the U.S. on FUEL TV, Silva hopes to usher in a new generation of competitors who may not know the road he and Belfort paved. But it's no less important to him to keep the sport thriving, which by all indications, it already is.

"This is the reason I'm a big Dana White fan," he said of the UFC president. "Because he made the sport different. The guy is the Steve Jobs of MMA."

Of course, Silva would like to see Belfort win against Johnson, but he doesn't sound so sure that will happen.

"I'm going to cheer for him," Silva said. "I want to see [Belfort] get a good victory, but it's a tough fight. I think it's one of his toughest opponents in the last few years. This guy is a young guy; he's an explosive guy, a good wrestler. I don't know why he fought at [170 pounds]. He's so big. I saw him at the hotel, and his back was like a horse.

"It's a tough fight, but I think [Belfort] will use his experience and his right hand, and I hope he wins the fight."

But regardless of whether Belfort comes out on top or not, Silva wants his rematch. He got stopped in 44 seconds when they first met, and it's a loss that's nagged him for years.

Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5930

PostSubject: Re: Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement   Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 3:27 pm

I am interested to see Wande fight Vitor, but with the knowledge that Silva is nearing the end of his career in the UFC as a fighter.
Back to top Go down
Berserk
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Berserk

Standard Cash : 28627

PostSubject: Re: Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement   Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Oh Wanderlei, we all love you but at this point in your career I don't want to see you get knocked out. Unfortunately, Vitor will KO you just like the first time you fought him Sad
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5738

PostSubject: Re: Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement   Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 9:08 pm

The first death in a UFC ring. affraid
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3790

PostSubject: Re: Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement   Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 7:40 am

I'd like to see it I'm always up for a good rematch.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15331

PostSubject: Re: Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement   Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 8:24 am

I think the title should probably read "Vitor will retire Wandi after this fight"

I just dont see how wandi is going to win this. Leben ko'ed him like it was nothing imagine how quick Vitor could do it.
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5930

PostSubject: Re: Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement   Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 12:50 pm

^^
Although I agree with that, we all know anything is possible in mma;

Prime example
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15331

PostSubject: Re: Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement   Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 1:15 pm

That is very true lamb, it is a fight and anything can happen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement   Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement Empty

Back to top Go down

Wanderlei Silva wants to fight Vitor Belfort before Retirement
Page 1 of 1