The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Jorge Masvidal Entered Title Fight Injured Vote_lcapJorge Masvidal Entered Title Fight Injured Voting_barJorge Masvidal Entered Title Fight Injured Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Jorge Masvidal Entered Title Fight Injured Vote_lcapJorge Masvidal Entered Title Fight Injured Voting_barJorge Masvidal Entered Title Fight Injured Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Jorge Masvidal Entered Title Fight Injured

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22848

Jorge Masvidal Entered Title Fight Injured Empty
PostSubject: Jorge Masvidal Entered Title Fight Injured   Jorge Masvidal Entered Title Fight Injured EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Quote :
Strikeforce lightweight Jorge Masvidal apparently went into his bout against Gilbert Melendez on Saturday night with an already injured right hand.

According to Masvidal’s representatives through a press release on Sunday, the American Top Team fighter suffered a hand injury a couple of weeks before the fight, but opted to push through and take the fight with Melendez anyways.

He suffered the injury on his right hand and after the early part of the first round in his title fight against Melendez, he abandoned using it for most of the rest of the fight.

“We attempted to seek additional treatment on his hand prior to the fight; however, were told by the commission it was too late,” said Ron Foster, one of Masvidal’s managers. “Masvidal was determined to push forward and he did. We are proud of his performance under the circumstances.”

Masvidal admitted after the fight that the initial plan was to actually take Melendez down to the ground due to the injury to his right hand, but the strategy never came to fruition.

“I should have listened to my corners and tried to take him down more,” said Masvidal. “At the end of the day Melendez won fair and square. He’s a great fighter and I have a lot of respect for him. I just hope I get the chance to fight him again.”

Once he returns home to Florida, Masvidal will have the hand checked by doctors to determine if it is broken or what further treatment he’ll need to get back in the cage.

The end result on Saturday was a unanimous decision win for Gilbert Melendez, but Masvidal is hopeful to get another shot one day.

“I want that belt and I will work my way back up until I’m given the opportunity at it again,” said Masvidal.

The American Top Team fighter will head home on Sunday and see his doctors in the coming days.
source
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35190

PostSubject: Re: Jorge Masvidal Entered Title Fight Injured   Jorge Masvidal Entered Title Fight Injured EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 1:22 pm

Why would the commission not allow treatment of his hand?

Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5729

PostSubject: Re: Jorge Masvidal Entered Title Fight Injured   Jorge Masvidal Entered Title Fight Injured EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 2:11 pm

Naw ... it was a crappy fight between two crappy fighters. Forget the hand ... no excuses. What reason did Melendez give for his performance?

Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59442

PostSubject: Re: Jorge Masvidal Entered Title Fight Injured   Jorge Masvidal Entered Title Fight Injured EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 3:45 pm

I certainly hope he was injured. At least then he would have an excuse for throwing more punches during his warm up than he did for the whole fight.

I tend to agree with him for not pulling out of the fight, though. The way things were looking for Strikeforce recently, he may have never gotten a shot if he decided to wait.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jorge Masvidal Entered Title Fight Injured   Jorge Masvidal Entered Title Fight Injured Empty

Back to top Go down

Jorge Masvidal Entered Title Fight Injured
Page 1 of 1