The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) Vote_lcapUFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) Voting_barUFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) Vote_lcapUFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) Voting_barUFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)

Go down 
+6
Gecko
Berserk
stock
the commie
Krieger
Snake Five
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3772

UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) Empty
PostSubject: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 2:11 pm

In the first round B.J. was able to get the advantage during those grappling exchanges ,but then Diaz just overwhelmed him with his striking the next two rounds.

Mittrione-Kongo was a dissapointing fight Mittrione didn't listen to his corner and neither guy really engaged the other one.

Nelson-Cro Cop was pretty awesome Cro Cop doesn't have a chin anymore ,but he went out like a man and almost knocked Roy out.

Cerrone just had two many attacks for Siver to handle.

Same thing for Griffiin against Palaweski.

The Vera-Marshall fight was even good it went back and forth.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5720

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 3:00 pm

I thought Penn was doing ok standing up with Diaz. But then I heard a guy from Penns corner yell that Diaz had a leg forward and to go for the leg. As soon as Penn went for the single he started to gas, couldnt get the single take down and when he went back to stand up Diaz started beating him to the punch. After that ... it was down hill for Penn.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 3:02 pm

Mitrione looked like an ex-nfl football player trying to make it in the fighting world.... oh ... thats what he is. .. Smile
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3772

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 3:38 pm

He's one of those guys that just has that missing mental part needed in the fight game. It pisses me off when people listen to their corners.
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7948

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 7:04 pm

i think i cried a little for cro-cop. he tried just a bit more, but not nearly as aggressive as the old mirco. and wtf? no chin what-so-ever. first time he got nailed flush on the kisser he folded!
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35181

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 8:35 pm

Pretty horrible card altogether.
The main event was decent even though Diaz couldn't get the kill.
The Nelson/CroCop fight was somewhat entertaining, but it seemed more like 90s toughman competition fight. I really, really hope CroCop is done.
Back to top Go down
Berserk
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Berserk

Standard Cash : 28609

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 12:20 am

stock wrote:
Pretty horrible card altogether.
The main event was decent even though Diaz couldn't get the kill.
The Nelson/CroCop fight was somewhat entertaining, but it seemed more like 90s toughman competition fight. I really, really hope CroCop is done.

I wouldn't say it was horrible, but it wasn't the best card I've ever seen. Pretty average... although I did enjoy the main event. Cro Cop just needs to leave fighting and I hope that is his last fight, since he didn't get brutally knocked out and went out like a warrior.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15313

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 8:37 am

I think crocop and BJ are both done now.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22839

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 8:51 am

If you include the entire card it was a good one! FAR from disappointing. The prelims had some amazing finishes and good action. Never been a BJ or Cro-Cop fan but Im a bit sad to see em go. I think we might see BJ once more, but Cro-cop... thanks for the memories man.
I don't know that I can blame Mitrione for that fight going how it did. Kongo was slow to pull the trigger and backed away for alot of the first 2 rounds... Mitrione will be back and even better. He too seemed a bit reluctant to trade, just a bit too much respect for each others power.
Griffin getting KTFO was AWESOME!!! You miss weight and get fuckin animated! Palaszewski has gotta be gunning for a title shot now IMO. That was one hell of an impressive KO.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 8:53 am

Yeah I agree ^^^ this. Not a bad card.. maybe $45 out of $60?
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5912

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 9:39 am

^ word Krieg's.

My take on the fights,

Griffin - Bartimus Fight: Griffin was overpowered and should have shot the double early in the barrage that Bartimus finished him with; he should have taken it to the ground. That was his only option in the first round to get out alive. I disagree with Chrom, it was yes an impressive victory; but Griffin has lost 4 of his last 5 fights and is more of a gatekeeper in LW than a top tier contender type fighter. I think Bart will be inline to face some upper tier guys now.

Cerrone - Siver Fight: All I can say is 'WOW', Donald was unreal; and Dennis Siver trying to get a handle on things had everyone in the room laughing. What a performance by Donald, the LW division is avery sick and twisted place and I am groing to love the fights it brings more and more. Whats next for Cowboy?

Kongo - Mitrione Fight: The first 2 rounds had Mitrione winning the stand up exchanges and Kongo backing away, imo. (10 - 9) rounds for Matt. Kong dominated the 3rd round handidly both with the take down and dominant positioning and a bit of GNP.

-The winner of the fight was Kongo, but it should have been 29 - 28 Mitrione; the only other scenario I find somewhat acceptable would have been a 29 - 29 or (28 - 28) Draw. too close to give it to Kongo imo, especially when he lost the first 2 rounds [imo]. The fight was a big disappointment from what I had expected to see.

Nelson - Cro-cop Fight: Mirko gave it shit and tried to end it in the first round, both fihgters gave it there all imo; however I think Mirko wanted out of the fight when he dropped and I know he wasn't hurt. If you were to watch it again, you'd see how once the fight was stopped Mirko hops up to his feet almost immediately; He was phased or hurt at all and looked to be of clear head and all. Oh well he is a legend and put on a great show for his remaining fans.

Jorgeson - Curran: A pretty good fight, good pace; great engagement by both fighters in the striking department. Love watching Curran on the ground he is so good there, even with Scott in his guard it was entertaining. Jorgeson was clearly the aggressor and deserved the win, I honestly think that Jeff Curran may retire as well. This is a pretty hard card for guys on the brink of retirement. But who knows he might stay around, hes got a 4/5 fight contract now.

Penn - Diaz Fight: Pretty Equal first round for both guys in the striking, but I think Diaz was the slight aggressor; Bj hit Diaz pretty hard on a few exchanges. The end of the 2nd round was bad, and the 3rd round was a old style Bonnar/Griffin stand and bang fest. Nick won the fight outright; however as I said on another topic; BJ did not want to fight Nick Diaz. The BJ that fought and drew Jon Fitch did not show up to fight Diaz, that is undeniable imo.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22839

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 10:01 am

Yeah, I guess I don't think Bart should be next in line for the title shot, especially since its the first showing at 145...but one or two wins and he should be. It impressed the hell outta me. Especially seeing how it was a 145er vs a 155er, Tyson didn't cut any weight for the fight and came in 9lbs heavy.
I totally agree about the Mitrione/Kongo fight... it was a tough one to call but, the control and pace were dictated by Matt the first two rounds I thought...

I think Cowboy is due for a UFC title shot! He looked great out there and did exactly what he said he would do to Siver. Title shot soon to come IMO

Whats next for Jorgenson? He is definately close to another title shot right? I think we need to see him vs Mighty Mouse. If he can beat Johnson he deserves another crack at it IMO
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5912

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 1:02 pm

^ WORD.

Griffin had to give up 25% of his purse to Bartimus to the tone of $8,500.

Crazy when Bartimus was suppose to only make $10,000 for the fight.

Griffin made $25,500 in a losing effort; kids got a big contract
for having lost 4 of his last 5 fights. He is on his way out if he can't pull his
shit together.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59433

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 12:54 am

Let's be honest here:
How many of you guys really thought Diaz would slaughter BJ on the feet like he did?

I'm a serious Diaz fan, and I didn't think he had a chance in hell. That was impressive.

He will likely get handled by GSP, but then again, I thought the same thing for this fight....
Hmmmm.......
Back to top Go down
Berserk
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Berserk

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 1:00 am

I will always enjoy Griffin getting KO'd, he always seems like a sore loser and of course I'm never impressed with a fighter who misses weight.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 1:04 am

Agreed.
That was very Liddell-esque vs Tito Ortiz, was it not?

Gorgeous.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12599

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 8:06 am

Krieger wrote:
I thought Penn was doing ok standing up with Diaz. But then I heard a guy from Penns corner yell that Diaz had a leg forward and to go for the leg. As soon as Penn went for the single he started to gas, couldnt get the single take down and when he went back to stand up Diaz started beating him to the punch. After that ... it was down hill for Penn.

I thought that had a little bit to do with it, but I think it had a lot more to do with the fact that Diaz ripped the ever living shit out of Penn's body and took all of the fight out of him.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35181

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 8:18 am

Agree. Diaz's body shots are just brutal.
Penn looked like he was doing the chicken dance while he was keeping his hands up, but his elbows down at his sides, trying to block the body shots.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12599

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 8:23 am

I pretty much agree with lambhimself.

Wtf happened to griffen!?!?! Sad

I thought Mitrione won the fight 29-28 as well taking the first two rounds. He chased Kongo the entire time and Kongo almost made it impossible to engage him with that weird as backing up, crouching hand out, if you come at me you will have to walk into my fist, but i wont come after you style. It was like he was crouched behind a shield with a sword sticking out backing away from Mitrione the whole time. Matt was like wtf can i do here?

Cerrone looked awesome.

Diaz looked great too. Hats off to BJ for going out and making round 3 a war after the punishment he took in round 2.
Back to top Go down
Berserk
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Berserk

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Triggerman99 wrote:
Agreed.
That was very Liddell-esque vs Tito Ortiz, was it not?

Gorgeous.

Dude, when I saw him crumble like a house of cards I was jumping up and down like a mad man. It was the one fight on the entire card that I got excited.... the rest.... not so much, except for the Diaz/Penn fight
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 7:41 pm

I'm not even a fan of Palesheswhateverthefuck, but that was damn fun to watch. A very clean barage on his part.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)   UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers) Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC 137 Post Fight Discussion (Spoilers)
Page 1 of 1