The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre Vote_lcapUFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre Voting_barUFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre Vote_lcapUFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre Voting_barUFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre

Go down 
+4
drainbamage
Billytk
butterknifeninja
Chrom
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22859

UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre Empty
PostSubject: UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre   UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 9:52 am

UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre 23804_10
Quote :
Georges St-Pierre has told the UFC that he would expect the promotion to ban Anderson Silva from competing whilst the Canadian attempts to gain the necessary weight to put on a superfight involving the two champions.

As welterweight champion since 2007, St-Pierre's dominance of a weight class is only bettered by Silva, who has ruled the middleweight terrain since 2006. The pair, in the eyes of many, would make the greatest superfight in UFC history.

St-Pierre has always been cautious in talking about the prospect of sharing an Octagon with Silva, who holds a significant size advantage. It has been suggested that the pair could fight at a catchweight of around 178lbs, but GSP doubts Silva could make it.

"Anderson used to fight at 168lbs, just a few years ago in Japan. I don't know what he truly walks around at. I've heard at times, 230lbs, he's a very big guy," St-Pierre told Sportsnet.ca.

"I walk around at 188, 190lbs. To put on weight, or for me to lose weight, is very hard. I'm an ectomorph, that's the body type and physique that I have. I have a hard time losing and gaining weight."

St-Pierre has often explained that he would need a significant amount of time to prepare for the fight, in order to increase his weight without harming his performance. If he is to undergo such a long-term plan, he would expect the UFC to keep Silva inactive to make sure it is worth his while.

"I could do it, but it depends on the matter of time that I can do it in. It will definitely take time, but is the UFC willing to give me the time to do so? Same for the fans.

"I will not be able to fight during that time and the same for Anderson, because what if he loses? No one is invincible; then this fight would be thrown out the window."
Source

Thats a great point, if he fights and loses GSP did all this weight training to move up for a possibly less than stellar fight.
Back to top Go down
butterknifeninja
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
butterknifeninja

Standard Cash : 4016

PostSubject: Re: UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre   UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 9:59 am

Why not at a catchweight then? That limits the amount of excuses either guy can have for competing at a different weight.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre   UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 10:02 am

you know why. Silva would never get down below 185... a good weight would be 178, but I doubt Silva would agree to it or if he could even make it.
Back to top Go down
Billytk
Sparring Partner
Sparring Partner
Billytk

Standard Cash : 4708

PostSubject: Re: UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre   UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 11:36 am

There's no way Silva could make a catch weight the guy is HUGE he's be a above average sized LHW and is already unbelievably huge for MW no way he makes anything under 185, which is another reason I'd rather see Silva move up a weight class and challenge Jones instead of GSP moving up to MW since 1) the styles would make a better match up 2) They are closer in weight to begin with 3) it's easier for Anderson to move up since he has the frame of a LHW to begin with so adding some muscle wouldn't be a issue especially since as I mentioned earlier he's already bigger then a lot of LHWs when he's competing at MW
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Standard Cash : 10261

PostSubject: Re: UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre   UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 8:52 pm

make it at an even 180 and it should be a go..
Back to top Go down
Grey Suit
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Grey Suit

Standard Cash : 31187

PostSubject: Re: UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre   UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 1:55 pm

I don't get why Gsp would care if Silva fights in the mean time... is he afraid that he would go in with a bit of ring rust and therefore Silva would have the advantage?
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15333

PostSubject: Re: UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre   UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 1:58 pm

Grey Suit wrote:
I don't get why Gsp would care if Silva fights in the mean time... is he afraid that he would go in with a bit of ring rust and therefore Silva would have the advantage?

I think thats exactly what he is saying. He probably thinks he could have some ring rust while trying to bulk up in the mean time.What he should do is bulk up and do a fight at a higher weight class to get him warmed up and let silva still fight.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

PostSubject: Re: UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre   UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 3:10 pm

Last time I checked, GSP was a humongous WW; he is bigger than everybody he fights. I understand that Silva is bigger naturally, but it's not like GSP is having to jump up a great deal in weight. he said he already walks around at above the MW limit anyway.
Back to top Go down
9Teen_AT4
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
9Teen_AT4

Standard Cash : 7715

PostSubject: Re: UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre   UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 8:14 pm

This fight stinks and wreaks! Myself and the whole world wants to see Jon Jones and Anderson Silva instead.
Back to top Go down
Billytk
Sparring Partner
Sparring Partner
Billytk

PostSubject: Re: UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre   UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 8:22 pm

9Teen_AT4 wrote:
This fight stinks and wreaks! Myself and the whole world wants to see Jon Jones and Anderson Silva instead.

Agreed I'd MUCH rather see jones vs silva
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15333

PostSubject: Re: UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre   UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 8:07 am

I am a little surprised every one wants Silva and Jones so soon. Don't get me wrong Jones is more than likely the future in mma but he really hasn't proven himself yet. hell he hasn't even had 1 title defense to his name yet. he has so impressive wins started for himself.But think about how many people were off to great starts and then got silenced. i remember back on the old board how quick every one was to say maia is going to walk through the ranks and could take the title if it goes to the ground. I guess i am just saying until Jones has at least 5 good title defenses against top level opponents, talking about a super fight seems a little premature to me.

i mean say what if rampage ko's Jones. How grand of a super fight would that be? GSP has cleaned out the ranks probably 2-3 times over now. just like Silva. GSP and Silva makes the most sense.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre   UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 8:08 am

Billytk wrote:
9Teen_AT4 wrote:

Silva has said he won't fight Jones.... I mean he does have a wrestling game after all.
Back to top Go down
Billytk
Sparring Partner
Sparring Partner
Billytk

PostSubject: Re: UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre   UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 8:16 am

Chrom wrote:
Billytk wrote:
9Teen_AT4 wrote:

Silva has said he won't fight Jones.... I mean he does have a wrestling game after all.

Yeah I always shake my head at how silva insinuates GSP is ducking a fight with him yet he's basically admitted he's terrified of jones
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre   UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC must sideline Silva if I fight him - St-Pierre
Page 1 of 1