The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ Vote_lcapGeorges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ Voting_barGeorges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ Vote_lcapGeorges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ Voting_barGeorges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’

Go down 
+4
Triggerman99
Berserk
Krieger
Chrom
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22848

Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ Empty
PostSubject: Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’   Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 9:35 am

Making a Georges St. Pierre vs. Anderson Silva
"super fight" is the right call -- as long as you ignore Johny Hendricks
and don't mind compromising the integrity of the division -- or waiting
another year or so to see the 170-pound belt defended.

It took 18 months for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre to defend his title, which he did by successfully outpointing Carlos Condit in the main event of UFC 154 last night (Nov. 17, 2012) at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

I don't want to wait another 18 months before he does it again.

Neither does UFC welterweight number one contender Johny Hendricks, who recently (and rightfully) earned his spot in line. Sure, his thunderous knockout win over Martin Kampmann -- also at UFC 154 -- was electric, but it was his wins over Jon Fitch and Josh Koscheck that proved him worthy.

Both were former number one contenders.

In addition, the two-time NCAA Division I national wrestling champion
is 14-1 overall and has won five straight, with three of those ending
violently by way of knockout or technical knockout. And if you recall round three of Saturday Night's main event, "Bigg Rigg" has a real chance to turn the division on its head.

If UFC passes over Hendricks for Anderson Silva -- just to sell out Dallas Stadium -- then it has not only compromised the integrity of the division, but also the sport as a whole. Especially when its Light Heavyweight Champion, Jon Jones, is off fighting a middleweight.

Again.

"Bones'" last fight was against Vitor Belfort while "The Spider's" was against Stephan Bonnar. They don't seem to have any trouble dabbling with challengers from across the divisional border and outside of Alexander Gustafsson, who still has one more hurdle to climb before staking his claim to the throne, there is no clear cut number one contender at 205 pounds.

And Silva doesn't want to dirty himself with the likes of Chris Weidman, even if the "All American" can get past Tim Boetsch at UFC 155 next month in Las Vegas.
continued...
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5729

Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’   Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 11:36 am

Who will the fans pay a Gazillion Dollars to see fight? A few million for GSP v Hendricks ... but Gazillions for GSP vs Anderson. Superfights are defined by their ability to generate mountains of cash, not "who deserves what". It has always been this way in the UFC and it always will be.
Back to top Go down
Berserk
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Berserk

Standard Cash : 28618

PostSubject: Re: Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’   Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 11:48 am

I would buy the PVV to see GSP vs Anderson, I wouldn't buy GSP vs Hendricks unless the card was stacked. I see the fight with Anderson as more interesting and could honestly go either way, while the fight with Hendricks I see GSP taking Hendricks down repeatly for a UD win. I say Hendricks has a punches chance, but most likely GSP will out wrestle him while avoiding the left hand.

I say bring on the superfight!
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’   Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 2:17 pm

Hendricks' wrestling is top notch. I see a LnP victory more likely with the Silva fight. It's GSP's only chance of winning in that fight.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59442

PostSubject: Re: Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’   Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 5:27 pm

I said it all along;
I don't want to see Silva fight GSP or Jones. Silva has absolutely nothing to gain from fighting GSP, aside from a big payday. If he wins, the haters will be out in full force saying that it proves nothing, and that he was supposed to win (even if those same people were claiming that GSP would win), and if he loses, the haters will also be out in full force saying that he now is not even in the P4P discussion, he is and always has been overrated, etc.

Then again, if he simply stays at MW, the haters will say he should be fighting GSP or Jones, and if he doesn't, he's selfish and only trying to protect his legacy. And lastly, if he takes time off and doesn't fight at all for awhile, well, we already know how the haters would react to that scenario, don't we?
lol!
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’   Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ 2937254162ing
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12608

PostSubject: Re: Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’   Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 6:50 am

I would rather see GSP stay within the division and fight. I would love to see him fight Hendricks, and possibly Diaz after a good win, even condit again all over a fight based on entertainment.

Do I blame the UFC? No, they are running a business and if the marketing guys tell them that GSP vs Silva makes them "gazillions" lol then I dont blame them.

But the questions is what would GSP do? He said if he ever moved up to fight Silva even at a catch weight he would be moving up for good.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35190

PostSubject: Re: Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’   Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 12:56 pm

lol.
I would love to see GSP just retire.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10303

PostSubject: Re: Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’   Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 1:59 pm

I hope this doesn't turn into a Weidman/Silva thing where if he doesn't get the next shot there's videos and claims of GSP ducking Hendricks...
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15322

PostSubject: Re: Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’   Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 2:49 pm

To be honest silva/GSP does nothing for me at all. I would rather see GSP/Hendicks with maybe Diaz being the next possible runner up and seeing Silva fight Bisping/Belfort winner followed by Boestch/Weidman winner. But i am probably in the lone on that one. I would rather see more title fights with guys who havent had a chance than i am about super fights right now.If there is any super fight i would down for would probably be JDS/Jones.(if JDS gets through cain and Overeem)
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35190

PostSubject: Re: Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’   Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 2:53 pm

I am with you.
The only caveat would be that Anderson Silva is the only person GSP could fight that would interest me. If not for that, I'd be perfectly happy if GSP retired and never fought again.

But yeah, there are enough intriguing enough fights for me at middleweight. With GSP, I know how it's going to end... and it will never be in exciting fashion.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59442

PostSubject: Re: Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’   Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 4:00 pm

If Hendricks hasn't earned a title shot at this point, then something is really wrong with this world.
There are a lot of guys who have gotten title shots undeservedly, and there are even more guys who have accomplished much less than Hendricks in their respective divisions and claim that they should be getting title shots. Hendricks has taken out two former title challengers, another top 5 fighter, and has two KOs in under a minute in his last 3 fights.

This is one of the most impossible to argue cases for a title shot I can recall in recent history.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5729

PostSubject: Re: Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’   Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 6:51 am

Unfortunately the UFC appears to be going the way of boxing. Fighters and promoters trying to pick and choose their way through the mire of contenders and holding off fighting possible larger threats so as to maintain placement on the ladder and minimize revenue loss. Now its not as bad as boxing .... yet .... serious contenders do still require a shot ... but money is creeping further and further into the fight matching equation.

What does Zuffa want? They want the biggest payday for the biggest threat. Sure Hendricks should get a shot at GSP, 10 wins in the UFC says so as well as the quality of his fights. BUT the threat is very high that GSP could take the one shot KO and reduce his revenue generating ability.

Zuffa would much rather roll the Silva dice, generate Gazzillions of dollars on the tail end of Anderson's career and even if GSP loses... he still has a few title defenses left in him to keep generating cash at WW.

When a reporter asked Dana what was going through his mind when Condit landed the kick... Dana said he was just appreciating a good fight.... ..... naw he saw dollars flying out the window.

Why was Condit allowed to sit out the whole GSP injury / recovery time? Cause the GSP fight was the money fight... Anything else just put a huge threat on the potential for cash. There was a day when just fighting was the point.... now, more and more, the point is money.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’   Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’ Empty

Back to top Go down

Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks – not Anderson Silva – is real UFC ‘super fight’
Page 1 of 1