The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC Vote_lcapCM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC Voting_barCM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC Vote_lcapCM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC Voting_barCM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC

Go down 
+4
Gecko
norcalmatt
Chrom
Krieger
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5734

CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC Empty
PostSubject: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 8:55 am

From Cagewriter Dec 7:
Phil “CM Punk” Brooks has signed a multi-fight deal with Ultimate Fighting Championship and will make his Octagon debut in 2015, the promotion announced Saturday night.Phil CM Punk Brooks will fight in the UFC in 2015. The UFC teased a big announcement following the first match of the UFC 181 pay-per-view portion and delivered. Joe Rogan interviewed Brooks cageside at the Mandalay Bay Events Center. Brooks, 36, wasn’t sure of a weight class yet, but said both middleweight and welterweight were options.
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/cm-punk-signs-multi-fight-deal-with-ufc-035256156.html

Heh a potential goldmine with WWE fans crossing over again ala Brock. The guy has  a big mouth and has in the past been a badmouth beacon against MMA and MMA fighters. But HEY I gotta respect a guy who puts up, laces them up and steps into the ring.

UFC is in dire need of a positive draw hopefully the guy can last long enough to make some money for everybody.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22853

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 10:06 am

I almost shat myself last night when this announcement was made... THE FUCKING UFC JUST SIGNED A LONG TERM CONTRACT WITH AN ABSOLUTELY UNTESTED 0-0 FIGHTER WITH NO AMMY RECORD!!?!?!?!??

WHAT THE FUCK!?
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22853

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Here's a somewhat odd talking point I thought of...
What does the UFC do about CM Punks tattoos?
Pepsi and maybe even Hasbro Via the Cobra Command logo are possibly problematic... especially with this new "No other logos in the cage" deal.
CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC Cmpunk10
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 16392

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 3:23 pm

and other fighters aswell......im sure a brizillian has the bad boy club logo I just cant remember who...vitor maybe....or maybe it was wandi, in which case non issue....buy im sure there are others out there

maybe they make them tape it up???
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15327

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 8:02 am

The UFC has now officially become the 3 ring circus we were afraid it was going to be. maybe Fallon Fox will have a chance at the UFC. I cant even imagine the slap in the face this going to be to all other fighters out there who are actually fighting to try and earn a spot. You also know to he probably got a pretty solid deal to come over more than likely more lucrative than any of the other lower end fighters who work there asses off to get in the UFC. This is just ......I dont even know what to say but if i was a low end or mid level fighter i would be pissed.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 8:14 am

http://nesn.com/2014/12/the-green-power-ranger-wants-to-fight-cm-punk-in-his-ufc-debut/

To add to my 3 ring circus remark. looks like Tommy the green power ranger wants first crack at him. Hell they might as well give him a contract too. at least he has done a mma fight or two.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59447

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 11:19 am

This guy has been buddies with Dana for a while now.
Make no mistake about it, that's why he got signed seemingly out of the blue. Well that, and the idea of WWE dollars rolling in, but I mean that this guy in particular has been cozying up to Dana for years now.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12613

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 8:59 am

Meh, I am a lot less concerned about this than most it seems. Imo once he steps into the octagon he's a fighter. If he wins good on him, if not, nice try.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 11:08 am

Well I'm not concerned so much that he's getting a free pass or whatever, like he's gonna be the face of the UFC and become a paper champ. That's not ever gonna happen. It's gonna be immediately apparent that he is being given cans (probably guys in their first respective UFC fights with little to no elite skills). And when he inevitably is forced to fight an actual UFC level fighter, he's gonna get smoked. IMO the former is just as embarrassing as the latter, just for the record.

My only beef with this is that he's taking spots on cards away from guys who have been training their whole lives to work their way up to the UFC. I get it, he'll sell fight cards. But that doesn't make it right.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 11:23 am

Triggerman99 wrote:
Well I'm not concerned so much that he's getting a free pass or whatever, like he's gonna be the face of the UFC and become a paper champ. That's not ever gonna happen. It's gonna be immediately apparent that he is being given cans (probably guys in their first respective UFC fights with little to no elite skills). And when he inevitably is forced to fight an actual UFC level fighter, he's gonna get smoked. IMO the former is just as embarrassing as the latter, just for the record.

My only beef with this is that he's taking spots on cards away from guys who have been training their whole lives to work their way up to the UFC. I get it, he'll sell fight cards. But that doesn't make it right.

Not trying to be a wiseass in the least, but just curious.

If you were the owner of the UFC what would you do?
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 1:01 pm

^^^^^^

make him do what lesnar did and go off and fight a couple of fights in some lower org then bring them over. Even Lesnar i get why he came over. not only is he is huge and massive but he was a division 1 wrestler as well. CM punk has zero fights, has no competition back ground in any martial art. If they are wanting a WWE wrestler to bring over to the UFC then go get Bobby lashley. at least he has beaten some former UFC fighters before.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35195

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 1:07 pm

Triggerman99 wrote:

Absolutely true in the short term.
However, if signing him brings in a material difference in revenue, this will also translate into the UFC having more money to spend on fighters or contracting more fighters.

I actually have no problem with the UFC bringing in a non-MMA popular name every once in a while.
It's only a good thing for the validity of the sport when the casual fan sees a WWE or Pro Boxing guy get smoked in the cage. Let's just limit it to a few times a year and not go full 3-ring circus like a lot of Japanese promotions had a tendancy to do.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 3:14 pm

FistK wrote:

Triggerman99 wrote:

I would do exactly what I described above; Give him very winnable fights for as long as I possibly can and make as much money as I possibly can off of him until the screams to put him against a legit UFC-level fighter become deafening. Then when he inevitably gets flattened, I would say something like "Well give the guy credit for manning up and stepping in the cage. It takes a lot of guts!" and then quietly usher him out of the UFC as quickly as possible.

I never said this is a bad business decision. Just that's it's kind of shitty an unfair to legit up-and-comers.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 6:58 am

Triggerman99 wrote:

FistK wrote:

Triggerman99 wrote:

Ah ok then I agree with you and would do the same. I got confused because you said "my only beef with this is..." which would imply you arent cool with it, but I get ya now.

I would do exactly what I described above; Give him very winnable fights for as long as I possibly can and make as much money as I possibly can off of him until the screams to put him against a legit UFC-level fighter become deafening. Then when he inevitably gets flattened, I would say something like "Well give the guy credit for manning up and stepping in the cage. It takes a lot of guts!" and then quietly usher him out of the UFC as quickly as possible.

I never said this is a bad business decision. Just that's it's kind of shitty an unfair to legit up-and-comers.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 2:24 pm

Well yeah I mean it's a complex situation. It's absolutely unfair to up and comers; that's pretty clear. But it is in fact a good business decision on the UFC's part.

I'm not cool with it on a lot of levels (really, any levels), but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea for Dana and co.
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Standard Cash : 10255

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 10:26 am

hes 36.

after years of pro wrestling what type of shape is your body in?

no interest in him and he will do nothing for ratings imo
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyMon Dec 15, 2014 10:57 am

drainbamage wrote:
hes 36.

after years of pro wrestling what type of shape is your body in?

no interest in him and he will do nothing for ratings imo

Have to disagree with you there buddy. I agree his body is most likely ravaged, especially since from what I know in wrestling he lays it all on the line.

But, he will DEFINITELY do something for ratings. I would be willing to bet (as sad as it is) that if they made him the main event of a ppv and he were fighting a relative no name the PPV would do huge numbers. Dont get me wrong the true mma fan would be really pissed and it would hurt the legitimacy of the sport so the UFC would never do it, but I think he would have that kind of draw/impact.
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 1:04 pm

its hard to disagree with you i guess because of lesnars ratings. but i do not believe cm punk has the star power or freakability that lesnar carries. cm punk is more of a younger generation and appeals to kids mostly 14 and younger imo. i could be wrong and maybe its just the general feedback that i have received when discussing this with people. i know a lot of wrestling fans and the majority said we have no interest with cm punk fighting mma. i think that star hype was drained once brock lesnar signed to the ufc. maybe cm punk will boost ratings but will they be star numbers i highly doubt it.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35195

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 3:49 pm

I think Lesnar was much, much, much more well known and the fact he was an absolute polar bear made it more interesting.
I didn't even know who this CM Punk guy was until researching him.

Just saying I don't think it is fair to use Lesnar as a benchmark for other WWE guys crossing over. I don't see CM Punk's UFC debut being anywhere near the PPV numbers Lesnar had.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Yeah, CM Punk is no Brock Lesnar, so I'm not buying into the media's brainchild that we're about to see Lesnar 2.0 with this guy.

Lesnar is a legit fighter. He's a humongous, beastly guy with bonafide top-flight NCAA wrestling credentials. CM Punk is a 6", 180lb guy who does BJJ and Kempo karate a little in his spare time.
Not the same thing.

He may have some star power and will likely bring in a little of both WWE fans who want to see him fight for real and WWE-haters who want to see him get flattened, but I just don't see him lasting more than 2 or 3 fights.
I give the guy respect for lacing up the gloves and getting in the cage to see what he's made of, but as a real MMA fan I just don't have much interest in him as an MMA fighter.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5734

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 10:59 am

I think the real beauty of this signing is that it doesn't cost the UFC much for a potential gains of gazillions. If he can win a couple of fights GREAT, if he loses in predictable fashion, he fades off into history while some other shiny object distracts fans.
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 12:38 pm

i personally would rather see ufc focus on athletes from boxing. i know they did the james toney thing and it didnt work but there are some other fighters that id love to see strap up.

Id also like to see some UFC fighters cross over to boxing as well.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 1:31 pm

Id also like to see some UFC fighters cross over to boxing as well. [/quote]

I too would love to see that happen.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 4:59 pm

I'm not sure MMA fighters would do so well in crossing over to boxing.

I suppose they would do OK against mid- to low-level boxers, but the boxing skills of highly ranked boxers are just light years ahead of all but the absolute best pure strikers in MMA. You can see the difference right away when watching two MMA fighters exchange and two skilled boxers exchange. Even with pure kickboxers, like in K-1, the strikes are just visibly so much faster and more precise that they make MMA fighters look slow and predictable. The advantage would be so much more compounded in just pure boxing.

I'm a huge Anderson Silva fan, and I believe he's one of the best strikers, maybe ever, in MMA, but I think if he ever did get in a boxing ring with Roy Jones Jr. like he's been lobbying to do he would get absolutely embarrassed.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 12:06 pm

I never said CM Punk would be as big as Lesnar since Lesnar was the biggest draw in the history if the UFC. But i do firmly believe that if CM Punk headlined a PPV in his first fight it would do very good numbers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC   CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC Empty

Back to top Go down

CM Punk signs multi-fight deal with UFC
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next