The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson  Vote_lcapAlexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson  Voting_barAlexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson  Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson  Vote_lcapAlexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson  Voting_barAlexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson  Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Standard Cash : 10244

Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson  Empty
PostSubject: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson    Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson  EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 11:06 am

UFC officials today announced the bout and said it’ll serve as a title eliminator. UFC on FOX 14 takes place Jan. 24 at Tele2 Arena in Stockholm. The main card airs on FOX following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass. To accommodate the usual UFC on FOX main-card start time of 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. PT) in the U.S., the event takes place in the early-morning hours in Sweden. Tele2 Arena, which hosts the first international edition of UFC on FOX, can seat approximately 30,000 fans and will serve as just the second UFC stadium to date. The first, UFC 129, drew 55,724 to Toronto’s Rogers Centre in 2011. Gustafsson is ranked No. 2 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA light heavyweight rankings, and Johnson is No. 5. Gustafsson recently rebounded from a title loss to champion Jon Jones with a second-round TKO win over Jimi Manuwa in March. The 27-year-old Swede picked up “Fight of the Night” and “Performance of the Night” bonuses with the win, which moved him to 7-1 over his past eight fights. It also marked his 13th stoppage in 16 career wins. Johnson, meanwhile, is returning to competition after overcoming some legal troubles and being reinstated by the UFC. The 30-year-old, who’s settled in the 205-pound division after fighting as light as welterweight and as heavy as heavyweight, most recently fought in July at UFC on FOX 12, where he knocked out Antonio Rogerio Nogueira to earn his second consecutive win since returning to the octagon. The Gustafsson vs. Johnson winner faces either champ Jones or challenger Daniel Cormier, who headline UFC 182 on Jan. 3. wrote:

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/11/alexander-gustafsson-vs-anthony-johnson-slated-for-ufc-on-fox-14-in-sweden

Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson    Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson  EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 11:07 am

guess we are really going to see what johnson is made of... if he gets past gus ill be shocked.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22842

PostSubject: Re: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson    Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson  EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 1:16 pm

HOLY SHIT! This has tons of potential to be a great war.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59436

PostSubject: Re: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson    Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson  EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 1:34 pm

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Johnson rolls right over him.
Nobody has been able to put Johnson in any kind of trouble whatsoever so far at 205. The "level of competiton" arguement was being used in the last few years to sort of discredit his dominance, but that doesn't apply anymore IMO. He's fought 2 legit, ranked UFC LHWs (Davis was even top 5) and made them both look absolutely stupid.
I'm not of the mindset that we are still waiting to see what he's made of and has yet to be tested. I'm of the mindset that he's unstoppable until proven otherwise. To me, the onus is on Gustaffson to prove that Johnson doesn't deserve to be here, not on Johnson to prove he does.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson    Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson  EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 1:55 pm

I'm pretty much in agreance with that. Rumble is nothing short of a fucking killer at 205!
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson    Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson  EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 2:06 pm

The latest UFC on FOX 14 card now includes:

Dan Henderson vs. Gegard Mousasi
Matt Brown vs. Tarec Saffiedine
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson    Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson  EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 6:47 pm

im not sold on rumble. the guys cardio is spotty. he tagged up an aging nog who looked like a senior citizen in the ring. phil davis just neutralizes people and that is it. if you could stop him from neutralizing you he wont win. he fought gus early in his career when gus really didnt have the necessary mma wrestling. phil davis is top 5 but he is nothing more than a gatekeeper to the 205 division. rumble johnson needs to be tested and gus is the perfect test for him. with that being said i have gus winning early submission.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59436

PostSubject: Re: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson    Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson  EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 8:54 pm

Well one thing I didn't take into consideration at first was the possible size advantage Gus might have. They're both LHW's, but Rumble did in fact compete as a WW for several years, so after thinking about that I assumed Gus would be much taller and have a significantly longer reach than Johnson.
Well that doesn't appear to be the case. Johnson is listed at 6'2" with a 78" reach, and Gustafsson, depending on where you're getting the stats from, is listed either 6'4" or 6'5", with a reach somewhere between 79" and 81.5". It's a slight advantage, but not as much of one as I thought it would be.
I'm still going with Johnson. Gus has shown a great chin, so I won't say Johnson puts him away. But I think he catches Gus early and puts him on wobbly legs for a few seconds and Gus never fully recovers, leaving himself a step behind in the exchanges, and therefore getting rocked several times throughout the fight and taking tons of punishment.

Rumble by UD.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15316

PostSubject: Re: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson    Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson  EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 7:56 am

drainbamage wrote:
im not sold on rumble. the guys cardio is spotty. he tagged up an aging nog who looked like a senior citizen in the ring. phil davis just neutralizes people and that is it. if you could stop him from neutralizing you he wont win. he fought gus early in his career when gus really didnt have the necessary mma wrestling. phil davis is top 5 but he is nothing more than a gatekeeper to the 205 division. rumble johnson needs to be tested and gus is the perfect test for him. with that being said i have gus winning early submission.

This. I think Rumble has the potential to be a wrecking machine at 205 and so far he is on a good roll. I'm just not sold on it with wins over davis and nog. Now if these were wins against DC,gus,machida,souza,Henderson than i would have a harder time not buying into the hype. kind of like jones, jones not only came in and leveled all fighters but most of them were in the top ten even top 5 and did it with ease.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12602

PostSubject: Re: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson    Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson  EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 9:51 am

I don't think Rumble has shown any cardio issues since moving to 205. His cardio issues were in the past and i think that was from sucking so much weight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson    Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Johnson  Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1