The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next Vote_lcapWhite: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next Voting_barWhite: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next Vote_lcapWhite: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next Voting_barWhite: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next

Go down 
+2
Gecko
Chrom
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22854

White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next Empty
PostSubject: White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next   White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 10:06 am

Quote :
In this cruel world, one rarely gets everything they ask for. If UFC light heavyweight top contender Alexander Gustafsson (pictured) didn’t know that before, then he is about the find out.

While Gustafsson’s camp said he wants to ride the pine to meet the winner of UFC 182′s shootout between Jones and Cormier, since he’s not allowed to take Cormier’s spot outright, UFC president Dana White says that likely ain’t happening.

“Gustafsson is upset, but it’s not like we took Gustafsson out of the fight. Gustafsson got hurt and he’s out,” White told UFC.com. “Cormier stepped in and accepted the fight and this is the fight that is going to happen now.

“The reality is we had Gustafsson versus Jones, he was the number one contender, that was the fight. He got hurt,” White said. “He fell out of the fight. Well, people can say, ‘Now Jones is hurt.’ Well yeah, but this is the fight that’s happening now.”

“Gustafsson will probably fight again. We’ll probably do another fight for him,” White said in closing. “He’ll probably fight again to stay active, stay top of mind and the guy has to make money.”

And who is the best option for Gustafsson to make ends meet against?

White said a tango with red hot Anthony Johnson “would make the most sense.”
source

No fuckin way! I really don't know how to feel about this whole situation and how it's playing out. Does the onstage brawl have something to do with these decisions? Yeah, I'm sure the UFC is publicly "scolding" Jones and DC for that, but, unfortunately, it's undeniable that it has brought in many new "fans" and has brought in interest. Which is good for promoting... but incredibly unprofessional. It's all fuckered and Big Gus is getting the shit end of the shit stick.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15328

PostSubject: Re: White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next   White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 10:33 am

I really don't like this decision at all. For any other reason i want to see in this order Gus,DC, rumble to all have a crack at Jones. But this will keep one of them out of the running. its almost like Dana is going for what Jones said before when he wanted Gus and dc to fight. It's just a way for Jones to eliminate some of his competition. more so the ones who actually pose a threat to Jones.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next   White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 11:24 am

Exactly, I really like the idea of having a good line of true contenders and that's what we have right now.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59448

PostSubject: Re: White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next   White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 1:26 pm

Well I'm not against DC getting the shot at Jones before Gus does. I mean I'm not overly FOR it either, but I understrand the reasoning, and somebody had to take a back seat in this situation.
But I don't agree with forcing Gus to fight Rumble. If he wants to sit and wait after he was already promised a rematch, then he shold be allowed to sit and wait. And honestly, I don't think Dana would make it ugly and force him to fight if he didn't want to.
Truthfully, I really think Dana wants someone to beat Anthony Johnson. Dana has been known to bring in upstart fighters from other "competitor" orgs, and it wouldn't shock me if he enjoyed seeing them lose, if only because it proves that the UFC level of competition is head and shoulders above any "rival" org.
So far, Rumble has looked just as good- if not better- against top UFC opponents as he did against top WSOF opponents, and I think Dana would like Gus to be an assassin, so to speak, before the Rumble train gains any more steam.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

PostSubject: Re: White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next   White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 1:42 pm

You might be right about Rumble trigg. We all know Dana can hold a grudge and rumble had some problems with his first UFC run. Above all the weight issues. but it does seem he has found his right weight now seems to be doing fine making it so if dana is holding a grudge i would say let it go. the man made mistakes but learned from it and accepted his punishment for it. i say give him a clean slate and see what he does. worst case you have a guy who doesnt perform well and chalk it up to another reason why the UFC is dominant. Best case Rumble does great in the UFC and you may very well have a new big franchise fighter to add to your stable. For the UFC at this point, it's a win/win for them.

I mean it's not like Rumble pulled a war machine or a rampage jackson driving problem. he just struggled to be able to make weight at a weight class he probably shouldnt have been at to begin with but did make that weight some time atleast. i can think of alot worst things going on in the UFC right now than that.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next   White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:20 pm

I fully agree that DC should still get the fight I just don't like the circumstances I suppose. Soon enough the MMA Standard header up top will have all the new champions pictured.
Prophetic much? Suspect 
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

PostSubject: Re: White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next   White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:31 pm

^^^^^^

i hope you are right. i have no problem at all if DC is the new face of the UFC LHW division.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12614

PostSubject: Re: White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next   White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 12:45 pm

Dream come true for Jones. He loves when his tough opponents knock each other off...
Back to top Go down
Grey Suit
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Grey Suit

Standard Cash : 31182

PostSubject: Re: White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next   White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 3:26 pm

FistK wrote:
Dream come true for Jones.  He loves when his tough opponents knock each other off...

Is it me or is Jones turning into Tito?
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next   White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 8:12 am

Grey Suit wrote:

FistK wrote:
Dream come true for Jones.  He loves when his tough opponents knock each other off...

Is it me or is Jones turning into Tito?

Haha, nice comparison.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35196

PostSubject: Re: White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next   White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 9:31 am

IDK guys. Think you are being too picky.
Gus/Johnson seems like a terrific fight, and you know the winner will get to fight Jones or DC. To make it really cool, they could have the losers of those fights square off on the same card.

I can appreciate the idea of a murderers row of fighters coming at Jones, but that also means you will be putting exciting fighters on the sidelines for too long. Plus, with injuries running rampant in the sport it won't play out like that anyway.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next   White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 9:45 am

stock wrote:
IDK guys.  Think you are being too picky.
Gus/Johnson seems like a terrific fight, and you know the winner will get to fight Jones or DC.  To make it really cool, they could have the losers of those fights square off on the same card.

I can appreciate the idea of a murderers row of fighters coming at Jones, but that also means you will be putting exciting fighters on the sidelines for too long.  Plus, with injuries running rampant in the sport it won't play out like that anyway.

For me it is not a matter of being picky...I have always hated when the UFC squared two deserving title contenders against each other. It is almost like they are robbing us of a title fight. If the two of them have to fight someone before jones I would rather they fight someone else. Like maybe Rumble fight Glover, since he just had his shot, etc.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

PostSubject: Re: White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next   White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 10:05 am

I'm thinking if they have to wait rumble vs Bader and Gus vs Glover. Wouldnt mind seeing those fights and i feel Rumble and Gus will still come out the winner more than likely.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next   White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 8:21 am

Gecko wrote:
I'm thinking if they have to wait rumble vs Bader and Gus vs Glover. Wouldnt mind seeing those fights and i feel Rumble and Gus will still come out the winner more than likely.

Sounds good to me! Book it! lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next   White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next Empty

Back to top Go down

White: Alexander Gustafsson Could Fight Anthony Johnson Next
Page 1 of 1