The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) Vote_lcapUFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) Voting_barUFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) Vote_lcapUFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) Voting_barUFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*)

Go down 
+2
samger2
Triggerman99
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) Empty
PostSubject: UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*)   UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 2:43 am

Ill start by saying Weidman is the real deal; he looked flat out impressive in this fight. But.......

After 3 rounds, Machida wasn't simply still in the fight, he was taking over. Aside from a solid punch or two and a TD from Weidman, Machida won the last two rounds , and was obviously the fresher of the two at the end of round 5. Like I said; Weidman won the fight, and showed that he deserved to win the fight, but god damn if Machida didn't look like he could win the right with at least one more round!!

I give credit where credit is due; I thought Weidman was a fluke; he clearly is not. He's a real deal champ. But I think Machida figured him out in the later rounds, and I'd love to see them fight again!
Lets see Weidman/Belfort, but I can't wait for Weidman/Machida 2!!!!
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10314

PostSubject: Re: UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*)   UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 9:32 am

I haven't seen the fight yet, but from what I've been reading it sounds like my tune is changing on Weidman as well, I thought he was a fluke at first but I think once I see the fight I'll agree he's the real deal. And I'm glad he won the fight, I didn't want to see Machida as the champ
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22859

PostSubject: Re: UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*)   UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 11:05 am

Great night of fights! Sucks that Struve got pulled, but you gotta be pretty cautious with the heart I suppose. I think Bruce Leeroy proved himself in his loss to Faber. He definitely deserves to be fighting the top ten guys. He held his own and even made Faber look a little off.
Rousey... well... she is a fucking wrecking machine. Zingano and Guyborg may be her only true challenges left. I would personally put Eye in that list too but, she got the short end of the stick a few times in a row now... so who knows where she really sits.

Machida is done! He was tore a part in those first three rounds. I won't be accrediting Lyoto with figuring anything out in the later rounds. Rather, I think he did some good damage to the body in the first 3 rounds and Weidman hadn't ever went this deep before. Some gassing is to be expected IMO Yet Chris was still able to tame The Dragon and was even still able to get that takedown.
SEND ALL THE BEST BRAZIL HAS TO OFFER! THE ALL AMERICAN WILL LAY THEM TO WASTE!
 War! 
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*)   UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 12:08 pm

OK well, while I give Weidman credit for winning, he certainly didn't tear Machida apart or whatever.
He won rounds 1, 2, and 3, but he never really had Machida in any serious trouble or anything. I honestly thought Machida was gonna pick him apart, and Weidman did a good job of not letting that happen and getting his own offense going relatively effectively, but lets not get carried away here! I would give Machida a better than fair chance in a rematch. He had Weidman on the ropes late in the fight and clearly was in control in the later rounds.

Come on now, I'm trying to give Weidman some credit, don't ruin it by trying to force me to pretend like he just blew the roof off the fucking building and handed Machida an epic ass whooping or something!
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35201

PostSubject: Re: UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*)   UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 1:42 pm

Rousey fights are just stupid to watch. Such a mismatch every time.
Until she starts fighting much bigger chicks, there will be no competition. Not saying she should; just saying she is a decade ahead of WMMA tallent at her best weight class.

I'll give some nod to Machida for looking to turn it on at the end, but that's just too little too late. The fighters should be training for 5 rounds, and no need to train for any more. If the fight was scheduled for 6-7 rounds, then you would have to expect the fight would have gone much differently (likely more boring).
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*)   UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 2:47 pm

Well yeah, it's a 5 round fight, not six. I'm not saying it should have gone on longer or something like that. My point was that Machida seemed to get in his groove later in the fight. It's not like Weidman dominated bell to bell and Machida had nothing for him.
But yeah, I agree that Machida waited too long to turn it on. His hesitance in the early rounds cost him this fight.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22859

PostSubject: Re: UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*)   UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 3:32 pm

Triggerman99 wrote:
OK well, while I give Weidman credit for winning, he certainly didn't tear Machida apart or whatever.

Weidman did essentially what everyone thought Machida would do to him. He pretty much picked Lyoto apart.
I can't recall seeing Lyoto look that bruised, cut and welted after any fights. He may not have finished Machida, but he beat him up, badly! Round wise I gave him 4-1 and all the while playing the Dancing Machida Game and winning.    
The stats are pretty one sided as well.

UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) Weidma10

Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*)   UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 4:04 pm

That stat sheet looks almost even! Lol! Not exactly condusive to your point!

But regardless, I watched the fight, and anybody else who did knows what they saw; Weidman looked better than Machida early, Machida looked better late, and Weidman spent more time looking better than Machida did. That's why he won the fight. I didn't really see one guy or the other getting his ass completely handed to him.

It was a good, competitive fight with both fighters having their moments. Congrats to Weidman for building a good enough early lead that Machida wasn't able to overcome.
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7968

PostSubject: Re: UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*)   UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 4:57 pm

well, im calmer now, so i can write. weidman did very well,...still a douche though lol
machida got outwitted the first three rounds. weidman kept enough pressure that machida couldnt settle in but didnt rush in so he wouldnt get countered. perfect pace for fighting machida.
the distancing was good too, just on the outside on weidman's punches, a bit shorter than machida likes.
by the time machida figured out the pace and distancing, he was too beaten and tired to finish.

what i see that machida needs to work on is, most importantly, his strength. he uses up too much of his energy when he gets in the clinch or taken down. with more strength he could avoid spending too much time there. and secondly, he needs to improve his clinch work.
if he does improve in these areas, given that his striking is better than just about anybody's, he will rule for a long time.

lol im one for two in the successes of martial arts i study in this event.
Ronda is a cunt but damn!,...beautiful harai goshi.

maybe now people will, as she says, will recognize the effectiveness of judo. jiu jitsu is great but if you cant get a person down and control them, its useless. Judoka throws a BJJ guy down 9 out 10 times. And its funny how jiu jitsu people act as if judo has no ground stuff.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*)   UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 6:13 pm

Yeah my wife was laughing at me because when Rogan and Goldberg were opening the show, they were talking about how much of a threat Davis was to Rousey and how she was really going to push Rousey and test her and Im sitting here going "Oh fucking save it! No she isn't!". I spent a good 10 minutes ranting about how I'd have more respect if they just called it like it is and said "Rousey is the heavy favorite, and for good reason. Davis is gonna have her hands full, so lets see how she handles it!" or something like that, instead of all that BS about how Davis' arsenal is this perfect storm to take Ronda to hell and back. My wife was like "Well you never know, anything can happen!" and then Ronda beat Davis' face off of her face in 16 seconds and I'm just sitting there shaking my head.
I get it, they gotta sell the fight. But have a little respect for the viewers is all I'm saying.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*)   UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 9:51 am

Triggerman99 wrote:

But regardless, I watched the fight, and anybody else who did knows what they saw; Weidman looked better than Machida early, Machida looked better late, and Weidman spent more time looking better than Machida did. That's why he won the fight. I didn't really see one guy or the other getting his ass completely handed to him.

This is what I saw too. Nothing dominant.
Just winning a baseball game 3-2.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10314

PostSubject: Re: UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*)   UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 5:45 pm

I don't like Ronda...at all. But having said that, there is no woman that will stop her. She got that lucky spot of being the only woman in MMA with extreme amounts of talent. There's no other woman that can come close to her level....so unfortunately she'll play her entire UFC career on "easy mode".
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7968

PostSubject: Re: UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*)   UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 9:27 pm

so, i just read that the possible medical suspension for weidman is six months due to possible damage to his jaw, ribs, elbow and ankle.
im assuming most of the damage was done to him in the forth and fifth round, which tells me that he is tough and that machida could win a rematch if he gets stronger and avoids close combat pressure o weidman
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*)   UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 8:27 am

That stinks since I feel the longer Weidman's next scheduled fight is, the less likely it will be against Vitor. I think Vitor's days are numbered, and I really want to see this fight before it happens.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*)   UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 1:53 pm

I would've loved to see it a year or two ago, but I don't think TRT-less Vitor is going to be any kind of threat at all to Weidman. TRT Belfort? Most definitely. I would probably even bet money that he would be the new champ. But now, I'm guessing Vitor loses to the top 3 or 4 guys in the division all day.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12619

PostSubject: Re: UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*)   UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 2:47 pm

I actually didn't think Machida figured Weidman out, I just thought Weidman got tired and couldn't do to Machida in the 4th and 5th rounds what he was doing to him in the 1-3. In the 1-3 Weidman was putting so much pressure on Machida he couldnt plant and do his normal countering. He could not go anywhere without Weidman being right there. Weidman tired in the 4th round and Machida was able to start doing what Machida does which was pick his spots.
I didnt really see it as figuring Chris out though, I just thought Weidman was slower and Machida was able to deal with him at that point, but anyways it was a damn good fight. I was entertained for sure.

One thing that I thought was pretty crazy was I never truly realized what a huge fucker Weidman is. I mean I knew he was a big kid and I remember when he was a college wrestler he was always bigger, but damn he's a monster. Not the most muscular, but he is tall and wide as hell. Machida moved down from LHW and Weidman looked so much bigger than him and when they were clinched up it seemed like Weidman was tossing him around.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*)   UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*) Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC 175: Weidman vs Machida discussion(*spoilers*)
Page 1 of 1