The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky" Vote_lcapChris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky" Voting_barChris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky" Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky" Vote_lcapChris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky" Voting_barChris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky" Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59443

Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky" Empty
PostSubject: Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky"   Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky" EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 3:49 pm

Quote :
The rematch at UFC 168 was penned as the greatest in UFC history. Silva had taken a more serious approach, and the vast majority of fans were expecting Weidman to prove himself as a one-hit wonder and fade back into obscurity.
No one could have predicted the horrifying conclusion that would unfold in the main event that night.

Silva, who had leaned so heavily on leg kicks in the first bout, went to work on Weidman’s legs in the rematch. But the young champion was prepared this time.
The grotesque and twisted expressions on thousands of faces told the story in the MGM Grand Garden Arena that night as Weidman checked a kick with his knee and snapped Silva’s leg in half.
It wasn’t necessarily the win that Weidman wanted, but then again, who’s going to argue with a victory over Anderson Silva?

Quote :
"I did get lucky," Weidman told Helwani. "Do you know why? Using my meaning of luck, it’s fine, I can say I got lucky and I’m good. Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. So I prepared and the opportunity arose, and I got lucky."

Some people make their own luck, which is what Weidman did through months of hard work and preparation

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1913931-chris-weidman-on-rematch-with-anderson-silva-i-got-lucky
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5730

PostSubject: Re: Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky"   Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky" EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 7:51 pm

Sigh .... I'm sure glad we have Weedy to tell us how wonderful he is ..... cause I've really missed the whole "he's so wonderful thing" so far.

Weidman talks about the "respect" he doesn't get.... well there's a reason for that. You have to earn the respect that Silva got, not whine to get it, Silva earned the respect he has for year after year of fighting, maintaining and adapting your skills, staying in the game and respecting your fans and your opponents. ... Weidman's teams' yell when Anderson went down was proof of what he and his team think of respect.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12609

PostSubject: Re: Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky"   Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky" EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 12:38 pm

Lol...haters are amusing.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35191

PostSubject: Re: Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky"   Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky" EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 1:59 pm

I don't even understand how these topics are news.
It's not like he is seeking out people to listen to his stories. He's the champ so he get asked lots of questions. He's trying to answer them... but then gets quoted as if he is the one that's trying to belabor any point (whatever that point is).

Again, the only thing I care about is:
1. Do you entertain me?
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5730

PostSubject: Re: Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky"   Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky" EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 2:05 pm

Haters hate.... nut huggers well....
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky"   Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky" EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 2:35 pm

Krieger wrote:
Haters hate.... nut huggers well....

I dont know man it seems haters look for any little thing to nag at and then be heard.

The guy was asked if he got lucky and he pretty much answered "If being prepared is luck then i got lucky" and somehow those who hate him turned it into "i am so sick of hearing this guy talk about how wonderful he is" lol  

I haven't heard any of the supposed nut huggers read the same statement and then gush over how incredible he is that he learned kick checking.  

It's just the haters commenting...
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59443

PostSubject: Re: Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky"   Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky" EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 4:07 pm

stock wrote:
It's not like he is seeking out people to listen to his stories. He's the champ so he get asked lots of questions. He's trying to answer them... but then gets quoted as if he is the one that's trying to belabor any point (whatever that point is).

1. Do you entertain me?

I'm kind of in the middle on this, which I think is exactly where Weidman is if I am interpreting his quote correctly.

He trained to check leg kicks.
He did check Silva's leg kick.
Silva's leg kick happened to break his own leg when Weidman checked it.

So yes; Weidman did what he was supposed to do. But was it still (for lack of a better term, and to stick with the point) a "lucky break"? Absolutely it was. Lucky in the sense that he didn't have to check 50 more leg kicks throughout the fight, and lucky that the fight ended there, regardless of who we think would have ultimately won.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky"   Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky" EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 6:11 am

Triggerman99 wrote:

stock wrote:
It's not like he is seeking out people to listen to his stories.  He's the champ so he get asked lots of questions.  He's trying to answer them... but then gets quoted as if he is the one that's trying to belabor any point (whatever that point is).

1.  Do you entertain me?

I'm kind of in the middle on this, which I think is exactly where Weidman is if I am interpreting his quote correctly.

He trained to check leg kicks.
He did check Silva's leg kick.
Silva's leg kick happened to break his own leg when Weidman checked it.

So yes; Weidman did what he was supposed to do. But was it still (for lack of a better term, and to stick with the point) a "lucky break"? Absolutely it was. Lucky in the sense that he didn't have to check 50 more leg kicks throughout the fight, and lucky that the fight ended there, regardless of who we think would have ultimately won.

Yeah, that was somewhere around where I interpreted it as well.

I was not even trying to be disrespectful (although it may have come off that way) when I made the comment about haters. It's just kind of interesting to watch how people interpret comments. I dont think I am a Weidman fanatic or a hater and I read his comment as what you stated above. Then those who really dislike him interpret it as "I am wonderful" Text is funny.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky"   Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky" Empty

Back to top Go down

Chris Weidman on Silva Rematch/Leg Injury- "I Did Get Lucky"
Page 1 of 1