The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York Vote_lcapSilva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York Voting_barSilva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York Vote_lcapSilva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York Voting_barSilva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York

Go down 
+3
Chrom
Gecko
Triggerman99
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59454

Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York Empty
PostSubject: Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York   Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 10:32 pm

Quote :
Anderson Silva appeared disinterested in a superfight with UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, but he appears to be coming around to the idea of competing in what would be one of the biggest fights in MMA history.

Jorge Guimaraes, Silva's agent, recently stated that his client does not believe a belt should be on the line in a potential fight with Jones, though he is considering the possibility of a 190-pound superfight in New York sometime in late 2013 (via SportTV, h/t MiddleEasy.com).

The UFC has been battling to have MMA legalized in New York state for years, though UFC president Dana White appears more confident than ever that his promotion will be able to hold an event in the Empire State in the near future.

If White's beliefs have backing, a Silva superfight could come to fruition at Madison Square Garden for the UFC's 20th anniversary in November, whether it be against Jones or welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre.

Before fighting either of those fellow titleholders, Silva will likely defend his middleweight belt, as confirmed by Guimaraes. All signs point to that title defense coming against Chris Weidman, who is undefeated and coming off of an impressive knockout win over Mark Munoz.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1544247-anderson-silva-wants-jon-jones-superfight-in-new-york-at-190-pounds

I'm a little cautious to put too much stock in this, because it almost seems to me like Silva is just saying this to mess with everyone, or to poke fun at Weidman for asking to fight in New York (or maybe both), but I hope he's being serious, mostly because I'd be curious to see what the haters are going to try to reach for now. After all, if he really wants this, then he has now offered to defend his title at MW, fight GSP at a catchweight, fight GSP at 170, or fight Jon Jones at a catchweight.
What more do you want from the guy?
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15334

PostSubject: Re: Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York   Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 7:43 am

"What more do you want from the guy?"

until Silva does all that you stated and then goes up to hw and beats cain,jds,and nelson he is nothing but all hype to me. MMA Purist
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22860

PostSubject: Re: Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York   Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 10:33 am

What this says to me is that Silva will flat out fight anyone at this point just so long as it isn't a title fight against Weidman....

UFC has now made the offer, STFU about other fights you "might" take and take the fight that has been presented to you and defend your title. Prove your the man at 185 by defending your title against the ,now, clear cut #1 contender. Then go fight who ever the fuck you want... but defend that title first.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York   Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 3:17 pm

^^^
It say in the article that he will likely fight Weidman at 185 first, then try to get a fight with Jones.
Just sayin.....

Cool
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22860

PostSubject: Re: Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York   Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 3:19 pm

silent

Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5741

PostSubject: Re: Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York   Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Meh I don't really care who he fights next ... I like watching Silva's fights, he's exciting, classy, and has nothing to prove.

What the line up looks like and where everybody fits is really meh !

Every supposed "threat" to his reign as Champ Anderson has defeated. People will always try to dethrone one of the greatest of all time with words and whining but the fact is Anderson is the proven champ and cleared out the division regularly and for a long time.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35202

PostSubject: Re: Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York   Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 3:33 pm

That's fair.

I actually think it's kind of cool for a champ to propose matchups against other champs. You don't see other champs doing this.
People can call it ducking Weidman all they want.... that is if they feel GSP or Jon Jones would be an easier fight than Weidman.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12620

PostSubject: Re: Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York   Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 6:22 am

You guys really think this is Anderson saying he will fight Jones? Seems like more annoying agent talk to me. Jones would have to cut off a fucking leg to make it to 190. It's not even possible...lol
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York   Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 2:34 pm

Well yeah, that's why I prefaced my initial post with "I'm a little cautious......", because this could be truth, Silva just messing the media, this agent just trying to get face time, or something else altogether.

Still, this was nonetheless spoken and printed, so the talk that Silva would never ever fight Jones and only wants easy fights has to at the very least be quieted a little bit.
Back to top Go down
Dremora
Training Dummy
Training Dummy

Standard Cash : 4713

PostSubject: Re: Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York   Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Silva is the best in the world at the moment. He is however in his late 30's. Personally I would rather see him take up the superfights now, while he's at his peak. Weidman is young still and its not like Silva is ducking him, Jones is a much harder fight.

I think when you have defended your belt successfully as much as Silva has, you can take a bit of time off to pursue more interesting fights.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York   Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York Empty

Back to top Go down

Silva says he would like to fight Jon Jones at 190lbs in New York
Page 1 of 1