The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* Vote_lcapUFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* Voting_barUFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* Vote_lcapUFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* Voting_barUFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*

Go down 
+5
the commie
Berserk
norcalmatt
Chrom
Snake Five
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3788

UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* Empty
PostSubject: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 12:00 pm

Dustin Kimura vs Chico Camus- Kimura looked really good here. Camus is a Duke Roofus fighter so I was expecting him to be the better striker ,but Kimura was able to outstrike him with a simple jab and 1-2 combo. Whenvever Camus would take him down Kimura had an extemely dynamic guard and was constantly going for triangle chokes, armbars, or triangle armbars. When he wasn't going for that he was always working for a new position, while Camus essentially stayed in the guard doing nothing. I was worried Kimura might of gotten robbed just because Camus was on top ,but it didn't matter because Camus took him down again (low fight IQ) and got tapped with a RNC in the third.

Isaac Vallie-Flagg vs Yves Edwards- This was a really close and competitive fight Flagg was awesome with the power he was able to generate out of weird angles, that he shouldn't of been able to, but Edwards had the more technical striking, and was effective with his punch combos. Thought Edwards definately took the 2nd by taking him down and controlling him on the ground, Flagg definately got the third. The first was up for debate and so was the closest and personally thought Edwards just slightly won it. Flagg took the split decision.

Joseph Benavidaz vs Ian McCall- Good back and forth competitive fight, but Joseph definately took the 1st and 3rd and McCall definately took the second. Anyone else notice that Benavidaz throws these weird kind of dead leg kicks and that he accidently kneed Ian in the balls while throwing a kick?

Demian Maia vs Jon Fitch- Really liked how Maia would shoot for the takedown almost immediately after the round started. Maia just dominated Fitch outwrestling him for all three rounds with those sort of powerful trip takedowns. Then after he did he was basically a human backpack and constantly had a body triangle on Fitch, and would go for powerful strikes and the RNC alternatively. God Maia is so much stronger at 170. Now I've never thought Fitch was boring like alot of other people have ,but he does have more of a technical grinding style so him throwing his hands up and complaining was a combination of hypocritical and hilarious for me. I've never liked when guys do that, dude its a fight if you're losing do something to win or fight back instead of complaining. Dominant UD for Maia.

Antonio Silva vs Alistair Overeem- I've never really been an Overeem fan ,but always thought he was a guy like Boestch or Sonnen who has a shitload of talent and potential ,but doesn't reach because of their head game. Overeem had a good sound strategy to basically take away the cardio of Silva by throwing hard knees to the body against the cage at a pretty decent pace and did this throughout the 1st and 2nd rounds ,but like Rogan I noticed that Overeem had no sense of urgency moving almost lethargically and keeping his hands down and chin up. Karma was a bitch in the third round as Silva came out immediately hit Reem with a good combo, then rocked him with a head kick, and finished him with a flurry of punches KTFOing The Reem. I also liked when Silva came back and then started yellin insults at the ko'd Reem, normally I'm not for this ,but it seemed fitting this particular time.

Lil Nog vs Rashad Evans- Alright fight, Nog beat him with simple boxing and Evans basically did nothing this fight and then seem surprised when he lost. If you don't throw strikes or go for takedowns WTF do you think's going to happen?! Which was kind of sad because this had potential for a really good, competitive fight but it wasn't.

Jose Aldo vs Frankie Edgar- Thought this was a pretty good fight and one I need to rewatch because it was close. I thought Aldo definately took the 1st and 2nd, Edgar definately took the 4th, and I felt he took the 5th, but I thought the third was close and it could of gone either way ,but thought that Edgar took it just slightly. Either way Aldo took the UD. At the very end of the fight Aldo hit a cool Showtime Superman punch off of the cage which is fitting because apparently Pettis wants to fight Aldo which should be fucking awesome one way or the other?

What I saw of the prelims was good ,but I kept slipping in and out of conscioussness during them so you know, I can't really accurately talk about them too much ,but I heard Winslow did some horrible reffing.

Well what did you guys think?

Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22855

PostSubject: Re: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 12:07 pm

I think Blackzillians may have too many yes men. Both Rashad and Reem looked too lax. I haven't seen either of them look this... content... to do nothing... I guess...

I changed the header... Sad

On the plus side I won my bets.
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

PostSubject: Re: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 12:43 pm

Yeah I mean Guillard looks better ,but otherwise ... not so much.

I made out well.afro
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

PostSubject: Re: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 12:44 pm

Holy shit just saw the new header, fucking hilarious.
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 16394

PostSubject: Re: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 2:10 pm

header?
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 2:23 pm

The banner at the top of the page. It used to have Reem... Sad
Back to top Go down
Berserk
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Berserk

Standard Cash : 28625

PostSubject: Re: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 3:13 pm

Oh god, Bigfoot on the banner? Kill me! hahahaha
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 16394

PostSubject: Re: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 5:16 pm

oh snap! totally missed it!
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

PostSubject: Re: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Anyone else notice how Aldo seems more hesitant to throw his leg kicks?
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7964

PostSubject: Re: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 6:40 pm

the first thing i saw was the new banner when i logged in, and laughed out loud.

maia=awesome. but will lose again against a great striker. he just doesnt have it in him to learn punching and kicking.
overeem vs bigfoot was the highlight of the night. wow that was a surprise. i feel bad 'cause i wanted uberhorse to challenge for the belt but now he will have to stop being such a fucking dumbass. he has the tallent to dominate everybody but is too stupid to do the right thing.
oh Frankie! if the fights were at least 7 rounds you would be champ in at least 3 divisions. still. you might have won this one but not as obvious as against henderson.
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

PostSubject: Re: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 7:36 pm

Man Edgar's really impressed me his past two losses.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12615

PostSubject: Re: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 7:17 am

I thought Overeem was toying with him for some dumb reason, maybe to make a statement or something and he paid for it. Serves him right.

I think Machida has ruined Rashad. He is completely scared to get hit now. I mean wtf was that. Three rounds of pawing.

I gave Edgar rounds 3, 4, and 5 and thought he won. Im starting to feel bad for him. Whether you think he won or not against Aldo, you would think Frankie would win one of these close ones one of these times...
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15329

PostSubject: Re: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 7:46 am

Maia is looking freaking awesome at welter i say 1-2 more solid wins and he could be in line for gsp. Overeems chances at the title is now scraped and i also heard rumors that if rashad won this fight and made the drop to MW that he could get silva. Which is now scrapped as well. Keep your eyes on woodly as well he has some from solid skills. I wouldnt mind even seeing woodley vs maia. Aldo and edgar was close, i could have given it to either to be honest.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10310

PostSubject: Re: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 9:21 am

Another card I'm so very glad I decided not to pay for. The only highlight for me would've been seeing Reem KO'd...other than that I have no interest in watching Rashad do anything for 3 rounds...let alone watch him do NOTHING. I typically like Edgar...but damn I'm getting sick of these 5 round jab/dance parties...so many strikes are thrown and so little damage and effectiveness. Just bores me.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 11:10 am

You missed one hell of a card, and I don't think I would be happy if I had missed it.

I think Reem was toying with Silva as well and then got caught and caught again and again and again and again.....

I thought Franky took the last 3 rounds and no doubt in my mind that he took the 4th and 5th. Jose slowed down drastically after the 3rd and I have no clue how any judge couldn't see those last 2 for Edgar. I liked his response to Joe about whether or not he thought he did enough to take the 3rd. "I did. But it doesn't matter."
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10310

PostSubject: Re: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 11:27 am

On a side note I do like that reem has been replaced with bigfoot up above haha
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35197

PostSubject: Re: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 12:06 pm

Good writeup by Snake.
The Nog/Evans fight was the garbage fight of the night, but glad Nog got the UD for actually doing anything at all.
Also, could not get into the McCall/Benavidez fight. The little guys still don't do a whole lot for me... but at least they were active.

Maia impressed me the most on the main card. He has great wrestling/judo and was definitely not expecting it to be a completely one sided wrestling match in Maia's favor. He's now 3-0 at WW with two finishes, and a win against a guy in the top 10 P4P a year ago. Maybe he gets the loser of Hendricks/Ellenberger? I'd like to see that.

Reem being Reem. Never know what guy is going to show up... the terminator or the guy who fought Werdum. I thought he had a good game plan, but really didn't capitalize on a couple chances he had to go for the kill. Silva is sure putting together a decent resume of wins (Fedor, Browne, Overeem).

The main even was too close to complain about the decision. I thought 1-2 easily went to Aldo, and thought 4-5 easily went to Edgar. 3 was a 10-10, IMO.
Glad it wasn't a draw as that would have just wasted 30 minutes of PPV real estate in an automatic rematch bullcrap. At the end of the day, I thought Aldo won the first two rounds in more convincing fashion than Edgar won the last two rounds... so was fine with the decision. What the hell is Edgar going to do now? Try to fight a couple more times at FW and get a rematch? Rumors of him dropping to BW to fight Cruz? He's kind of in no man's land right now.

Also, the 3 guys making UFC debuts made a great statement. Was not expecting Yves to get outstruck on the feet like that. Green rebounded nicely to steal the win, and Woodley just came out guns a blazing. He's a scary looking dude, but question his cardio.
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7964

PostSubject: Re: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 3:23 pm

frankie need to put on 10 pounds of muscle and he is gonna win both weightclasses easily.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12615

PostSubject: Re: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 6:31 am

Chrom wrote:
You missed one hell of a card, and I don't think I would be happy if I had missed it.

I think Reem was toying with Silva as well and then got caught and caught again and again and again and again.....

I thought Franky took the last 3 rounds and no doubt in my mind that he took the 4th and 5th. Jose slowed down drastically after the 3rd and I have no clue how any judge couldn't see those last 2 for Edgar. I liked his response to Joe about whether or not he thought he did enough to take the 3rd. "I did. But it doesn't matter."

+1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*   UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers* Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar Discussion *Spoilers*
Page 1 of 1