The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Ronda Rousey meets Liz Carmouche in first UFC women's title fight Vote_lcapRonda Rousey meets Liz Carmouche in first UFC women's title fight Voting_barRonda Rousey meets Liz Carmouche in first UFC women's title fight Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Ronda Rousey meets Liz Carmouche in first UFC women's title fight Vote_lcapRonda Rousey meets Liz Carmouche in first UFC women's title fight Voting_barRonda Rousey meets Liz Carmouche in first UFC women's title fight Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Ronda Rousey meets Liz Carmouche in first UFC women's title fight

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22847

Ronda Rousey meets Liz Carmouche in first UFC women's title fight Empty
PostSubject: Ronda Rousey meets Liz Carmouche in first UFC women's title fight   Ronda Rousey meets Liz Carmouche in first UFC women's title fight EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Ronda Rousey meets Liz Carmouche in first UFC women's title fight 2012-110
Quote :
A day after a bit of a tease about Ronda Rousey's first UFC fight, things finally are official.

But Rousey won't be fighting Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos, as Wednesday's rumor had her meeting. Instead, Rousey (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will be meeting Liz Carmouche (7-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) as the first defense of her new UFC women's bantamweight title at UFC 157 in February.

UFC President Dana White made the announcement following Thursday's pre-event news conference for UFC on FOX 5 in Seattle, and he presented Rousey with her new UFC belt.

UFC 157 takes place Feb. 23 at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. Rousey vs. Carmouche will be the main event of the card, which will air on pay-per-view, FX and Facebook.

News broke this past month that Rousey would migrate over from Strikeforce, where she was the women's bantamweight champ, to become the first female fighter in UFC history. But just who her first opponent would be and when that fight would take place were up in the air, despite White telling multiple news outlets that it was official that Rousey was in the UFC.

Her Strikeforce contract and Zuffa's deal with Strikeforce broadcast partner Showtime appeared to be potential stumbling blocks for expediting the process. But with White's presentation of Rousey in Seattle, those hurdles appear to have been cleared â?? at least well enough to announce a fight for her.

On Wednesday, the UFC's Brazilian website mistakenly announced a Rousey UFC debut at the same event, UFC 157, but had her main eventing against Santos â?? which the UFC explained as a technical glitch and later removed.

Now, a day later, it will indeed be Rousey headlining that card in her backyard â?? she hails from Southern California â?? but against Carmouche.

"It's going to happen eventually," Rousey said at the news conference of a potential fight against Santos. "I can't make these girls fight who don't want to fight me. (Carmouche) was the only one who stepped up, and it speaks a lot to her. When the other girls come around, they know where I'm at."

Rousey said receiving her UFC championship belt and having the fight announced on the heels of a press conference for Saturday's card, which features Benson Henderson's lightweight title defense against Nate Diaz, came as a surprise to her.

"I didn't even know about this till this morning," she said. "I don't even know what to make of it. It means a lot, and we have a lot to prove. I think the women are here to stay, and I think we're going to prove it."

White, of course, long said he didn't foresee a day when women would fight in the UFC, owning that belief to a perceived lack of depth in the women's divisions. But with Rousey's emergence over the last year as a bona fide star not just of women's MMA, but of all MMA, he came around.
continued...
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15321

PostSubject: Re: Ronda Rousey meets Liz Carmouche in first UFC women's title fight   Ronda Rousey meets Liz Carmouche in first UFC women's title fight EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 7:41 am

looks like rhondas going to have a gimmie fight her for first UFC fight.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22847

PostSubject: Re: Ronda Rousey meets Liz Carmouche in first UFC women's title fight   Ronda Rousey meets Liz Carmouche in first UFC women's title fight EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 7:44 am

Pft! If you think Girlilla is a gimmie you are sadly mistaken! In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see Carmouche as the new champ.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ronda Rousey meets Liz Carmouche in first UFC women's title fight   Ronda Rousey meets Liz Carmouche in first UFC women's title fight Empty

Back to top Go down

Ronda Rousey meets Liz Carmouche in first UFC women's title fight
Page 1 of 1