The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
BJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code Vote_lcapBJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code Voting_barBJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
BJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code Vote_lcapBJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code Voting_barBJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

BJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22847

BJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code Empty
PostSubject: BJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code   BJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 7:53 pm

BJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code 390x2713

Quote :
In preparation for his upcoming fight against Rory MacDonald, BJ Penn brought in a host of talent to train with.
One such fighter was Bellator welterweight champion, Ben Asken.

In an interview with Bloodyelbow.com’s Steph Daniels, Askren touched on training camp and his thoughts on Rory MacDonald.

Here’s a snip:

Stephie Daniels: Talk about working with B.J. Penn for his training camp.

Ben Askren: Yeah, it was good. I’ve been a B.J. Penn fan way before I
had even considered stepping into the cage. They brought me out there
mainly to be a big, strong training partner, and kind of give him the
Rory MacDonald style. That’s basically what they were wanting, so that’s
what I did.

Stephie Daniels: How do you think the fight is going to go?

Ben Askren: Obviously, MacDonald has got the size and strength
advantage, but I think B.J. has got the boxing advantage. I think, if it
goes to the mat, he’s definitely got the jiu jitsu advantage. I really
think he’s in better shape than he’s been in for his more recent fights.
Hopefully, B.J. goes in there and smashes him. I think that’s what a
lot of people would be really excited to see.

Stephie Daniels: B.J. has come out and said that the negative
comments he gets on social media and the lack of being included in
“greatest champion” conversation as much as he once was, are the
motivational factors for the new fire in him. As someone that has also
faced social media criticism, does that also push or motivate you?

Ben Askren: For me, I really try not to worry about what people are
saying. I don’t have a bunch of “yes men” around me, so they’re going to
tell me the truth, and tell me what I need to hear. I pretty much
ignore what people are saying and I don’t really get too much into it.

Stephie Daniels: You’re very entertaining on Twitter, especially on
fight nights, and tend to engage with lots of people. Is there anybody
out there that’s managed to get under your skin and annoy you to some
degree?

Ben Askren: You know, I don’t really follow that many people on
Twitter. Only a handful, like 40 or so. [Laughs] It’s the funniest
thing. All these people don’t like me, yet they follow me on Twitter,
just to say some shit to me whenever I say something. I’m like, ‘Well,
why are you following me in the first place?’ Idiots. Actually, I’d have
to say Rory MacDonald. I mean, I’ve helped B.J., so I have a biased
opinion, and I want B.J. to win, but just the way he tries to dress up
so fancy, I think that might annoy me [laughs]. I just don’t know what
to think about that.

Stephie Daniels: What part of his dress code is most annoying to you?

Ben Askren: Well, I don’t really wear much else other than sweat
pants and a T shirt or jeans and a T shirt. It’s the whole thing with
him. He puts so much effort in the look that he wants everyone to see. I
just think that’s kind of goofy. I’m not too much into new fashion
stuff, but I wouldn’t be caught dead … you couldn’t pay me enough to
wear an outfit like he wears.

Stephie Daniels: Since we’re talking about Rory, do you feel it’s a
big advantage for him to be able to train with GSP, especially since
Georges has beaten B.J. twice?

Ben Askren: The first Penn/GSP fight was very controversial. A lot of
people think B.J. won that fight. The second one was a little more
decisive, but then you had Greasegate also going on there. I think
Rory’s size is going to be his biggest advantage...
continued...
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59441

BJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code Empty
PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code   BJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 9:51 pm

And I'm not a fan of Askren's goofy hairdo.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5728

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code   BJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 1:24 pm

Heh ... another nobody (cmon Belator?) wanting to get attention with his mouth.... why'd BJ invite Ben to camp.... cause he's no threat.... Ben gets to talk crap about fighters in the show ... when he's in the show. Otherwise show some respect till ya earn it.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12607

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code   BJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 7:06 am

Askren is boring as hell in MMA, but damn he was awesome in NCAA and he would be a perfect training partner for BJ. Great choice imo. The Diaz brothers should hire him to to help them stop a TD.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code   BJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code Empty

Back to top Go down

BJ Penn's training partner Ben Askren not a fan of Rory MacDonald's 'goofy' dress code
Page 1 of 1