The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Bellator cuts Ben Askren! Vote_lcapBellator cuts Ben Askren! Voting_barBellator cuts Ben Askren! Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Bellator cuts Ben Askren! Vote_lcapBellator cuts Ben Askren! Voting_barBellator cuts Ben Askren! Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Bellator cuts Ben Askren!

Go down 
+5
Snake Five
samger2
Triggerman99
Chrom
FistK
9 posters
AuthorMessage
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12568

Bellator cuts Ben Askren! Empty
PostSubject: Bellator cuts Ben Askren!   Bellator cuts Ben Askren! EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 12:09 pm

This could be fun if the UFC grabs him.

He is boring as hell yes, but he has a definitely Chael thing going on so I think he will still be a draw as people will tune in hoping to see him get his ass kicked. He knows he is boring and laughs about the fact that he can't be stopped.

I think UFC fans would love to hate him.

I would like to see him come over.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22808

PostSubject: Re: Bellator cuts Ben Askren!   Bellator cuts Ben Askren! EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 1:50 pm

I just don't understand letting your champ go.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59402

PostSubject: Re: Bellator cuts Ben Askren!   Bellator cuts Ben Askren! EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 2:08 pm

He's like Chael in that he is painfully one dimensional and doesn't mind playing the heel, but he is nowhere near Chael's level on the microphone. Askren's interviews are as dull as his fights.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10263

PostSubject: Re: Bellator cuts Ben Askren!   Bellator cuts Ben Askren! EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 3:53 pm

He's boring as all get out and he thinks he's the best in the universe. For the latter reason alone I can't wait to see him in the UFC. I do think he'll come to the UFC...fans want to see it. I think he'll get beaten in his second MAYBE 3rd outing. The first outing their going to give him some nobody with the talent level of a high school wrestler who can't make it to states...but after that he'll start getting some competition.
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3741

PostSubject: Re: Bellator cuts Ben Askren!   Bellator cuts Ben Askren! EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 4:10 pm

I'm glad because I think it'll get him to the UFC or at least fighting again. I might be in the minority ,but I not only like Askren ,but also like his fighting style. All the fights I've seen of him he's either going for submissions, GnP, or is constantly moving to various positions on the ground. He also has this weird, yet impeccable wrestling, more specifically his takedown ability where no matter what position he's in (a lot of time he's on the ground, sitting down, or on his knees) he is still able to get the takedown. His last fight he was trying to prove a point and be like Roy Nelson against Kimbo Slice where he just wanted to end the fight by throwing uncontested weak GnP. I still enjoyed his last fight ,but it sort of irks me, if you have a chance to finish or damage somebody with little to no risk to yourself then fucking do it. That shit can come back to haunt you in a fight. So yeah I'm excited.cheers 
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: Bellator cuts Ben Askren!   Bellator cuts Ben Askren! EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 4:14 pm

I'm gonna take a step backward from what I said. I don't think the correct word for Ben is "boring". I used it above and maybe I shouldn't have. For me it's more of a cross between being kinda one dimensional and 100% completely and totally under-challenged. They guy hasn't fought anyone NEAR his level. He's just getting all these nobodys that he can completely have his way with...and just work and work in any direction he likes. So the reason I look forward to him coming to the UFC is I want to see him challenged and I want to see him fight someone as good as or better than him.
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3741

PostSubject: Re: Bellator cuts Ben Askren!   Bellator cuts Ben Askren! EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 7:34 pm

I get you man that last fight was an example of that.
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7917

PostSubject: Re: Bellator cuts Ben Askren!   Bellator cuts Ben Askren! EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 11:18 pm

what dafook? i dont fucking get it!
this is a worrisome sign. okami and now askren? punished for being "boring".
this sport is called mixed martial arts, and using dominant wrestling is just as important as using silvas matrix stand up shit.
i personally enjoy great wrestling performance just as much and think that the sport must promote the love for all aspects. otherwise, im afraid, the sport might slide into a "show only" territory.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: Bellator cuts Ben Askren!   Bellator cuts Ben Askren! EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 8:47 am

samger2 wrote:
He's boring as all get out and he thinks he's the best in the universe.  For the latter reason alone I can't wait to see him in the UFC.  I do think he'll come to the UFC...fans want to see it.  .
Pretty much the exact reason I think he will be a great draw. People will tune in hoping to see him get his ass kicked lol
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: Bellator cuts Ben Askren!   Bellator cuts Ben Askren! EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 8:49 am

the commie wrote:
this sport is called mixed martial arts, and using dominant wrestling is just as important as using silvas matrix stand up shit.
i personally enjoy great wrestling performance just as much and think that the sport must promote the love for all aspects. otherwise, im afraid, the sport might slide into a "show only" territory.
I dont think its the same thing dude.

Okami was cast off pretty much because he was boring, but not askren. he was a really big draw for bellator.

I honestly just dont think they thought they could afford him anymore.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35150

PostSubject: Re: Bellator cuts Ben Askren!   Bellator cuts Ben Askren! EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 9:21 am

My first fight for him would be Koscheck or Maia.

One guy he would not be able to manhandle wrestling (possibly be forced to stand for the first time in his career), and the other guy would welcome soft LnP from the top.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: Bellator cuts Ben Askren!   Bellator cuts Ben Askren! EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 9:38 am

Yeah I was thinking Kos also as a good welcome fight
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15282

PostSubject: Re: Bellator cuts Ben Askren!   Bellator cuts Ben Askren! EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 2:46 pm

I agree with stock and samger kos or maia would be great tune up fights. Heck maybe even sheilds.
Back to top Go down
Grey Suit
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Grey Suit

Standard Cash : 31136

PostSubject: Re: Bellator cuts Ben Askren!   Bellator cuts Ben Askren! EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 3:27 pm

the commie wrote:
I agree but the problem is revenue is generated based on entertainment not skill. "Boring" fighters will never get the same headlining/title opportunities or financial compensation that the big punch guys will get because they just don't generate the same revenue. Chale recognized this at some point and figured out that he can be boring in the ring as long as he is entertaining outside of the ring.
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7917

PostSubject: Re: Bellator cuts Ben Askren!   Bellator cuts Ben Askren! EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 9:53 pm

Grey Suit wrote:

the commie wrote:
I agree but the problem is revenue is generated based on entertainment not skill.  "Boring" fighters will never get the same headlining/title opportunities or financial compensation that the big punch guys will get because they just don't generate the same revenue.  Chale recognized this at some point and figured out that he can be boring in the ring as long as he is entertaining outside of the ring.  
that is true and i understand it but i believe that the purist motives of this sport have to be satisfied first. it is better for it in the long run. keeping that core value will keep the sport alive as it is, otherwise, if it changes to the "show first" mode, even the lay fans will lose interest.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35150

PostSubject: Re: Bellator cuts Ben Askren!   Bellator cuts Ben Askren! EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 12:59 pm

I have no problem whatsoever to punish a guy for being boring.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bellator cuts Ben Askren!   Bellator cuts Ben Askren! Empty

Back to top Go down

Bellator cuts Ben Askren!
Page 1 of 1