The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Randy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak' Vote_lcapRandy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak' Voting_barRandy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak' Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Randy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak' Vote_lcapRandy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak' Voting_barRandy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak' Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Randy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak'

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
9Teen_AT4
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
9Teen_AT4

Standard Cash : 7693

Randy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak' Empty
PostSubject: Randy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak'   Randy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak' EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 7:10 pm

Randy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak' Couture-fedor_large

Quote :
Since retiring from the sport of mixed martial arts (MMA) last year after his loss to Lyoto Machida at UFC 129 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Randy Couture hasn't been seen around the fight scene very often.

That's probably because the former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight Champion has been busy rubbing elbows with Hollywood's top stars over in "Tinsel Town," such as Tim Allen, Kevin Pollack, Vinnie Jones, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone, just to name a few.

Couture has three films that are scheduled to be released in theaters this year which includes, "Geezers!" "Hijacked," and of course the action-packed sequel, "The Expendables 2." When not filming, "The Natural" is making the rounds promoting his new work in the world of literature with his new book titled, "The Last Round," which details his days leading up to his final training camp up until his final fight against 'The Dragon."

Far from taking it slow since stepping down from the sport he's competed in for over 15 years, Couture took the time to talk to The Score about retiring, his son Ryan Couture's blossoming fight career and not ever having the chance to fight the great Fedor Emelianenko.

Check it out:

"Absolutely, I think it was the right decision for me and I think nowadays it's a rare thing as an athlete to get to go out on your own terms and choose when your last fight is going to be and not have somebody else tell you can't do it anymore, either for injury or if you sustained a couple of losses in the sport of MMA and everybody's chattering that you should retire, especially at 48. So I kind of chose that this was going to be the last one, win, lose or draw and I am very comfortable with the decision."

Though Randy won't be making a return like he did after his first retirement, the Couture name will live on in the world of MMA, especially with his son Ryan prospering early on in his fight career:

"He is certainly on the right track. This was a big step up in competition for him. Conor Heun is no slouch, he is a very, very good fighter. He's been around a while, he's fought some top guys like K.J. Noons and others, so most people saw Ryan as the underdog going into this fight. He had a great camp, it was fun to see the peak for him coming on and then to go out and have the performance that he had. I think it's only going to get tougher for him from here on out and I think he is up for it. He's a smart kid, he does the work, he is very diligent and he has a strong passion for the sport."

Finally, Couture talked about the dream match, both he and fans the world over wanted but never came to light against "The Last Emperor," Fedor Emelianenko:

"Nah, I mean, things work out the way they are supposed to work out. I got so many examples of that in my life. It just never worked out, and you know, it is what it is. I don't have any regrets. I wish then when we were both kind of at our peak, if it would have happened it would have been something special, the cards didn't just come out that way."

Indeed a fight between Couture and Fedor would have been a doozy, but, sadly, we are left with only the "what ifs?" With his film career taking off, do not expect a return to the Octagon from the multi-division champion.

source

Back to top Go down
9Teen_AT4
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
9Teen_AT4

Standard Cash : 7693

Randy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Randy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak'   Randy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak' EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 7:15 pm

If they fought back then... Fedor would have Knocked Randy out IMO.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59431

PostSubject: Re: Randy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak'   Randy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak' EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 8:19 pm

Quote :
That's probably because the former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight Champion has been busy rubbing elbows with Hollywood's top stars over in "Tinsel Town," such as Tim Allen, Kevin Pollack, Vinnie Jones, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone, just to name a few.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Standard Cash : 10239

PostSubject: Re: Randy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak'   Randy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak' EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 8:48 am

randy by bump and grind.....

hard fight to call. randy had a suspect chin and fedor wouldnt be able to stop randys take downs
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9470

PostSubject: Re: Randy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak'   Randy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak' EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 8:45 pm

drainbamage wrote:
randy by bump and grind.....

hard fight to call. randy had a suspect chin and fedor wouldnt be able to stop randys take downs

Stop or just transition out? Fedor could reverse and sweep like a maniac, and transition from defense to offense (especially on wrestlers) in a heartbeat. Fedor was much more intense and overwhelming than Couture, who just stuck to the plan and plodded forward. I'd call it 75/25 Fedor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Randy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak'   Randy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak' Empty

Back to top Go down

Randy Couture: 'I wish I could have fought Fedor Emelianenko when we were at our peak'
Page 1 of 1