The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
where do you train? what arts do you train in? Vote_lcapwhere do you train? what arts do you train in? Voting_barwhere do you train? what arts do you train in? Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
where do you train? what arts do you train in? Vote_lcapwhere do you train? what arts do you train in? Voting_barwhere do you train? what arts do you train in? Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

where do you train? what arts do you train in?

Go down 
+3
Triggerman99
the commie
Gecko
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15312

where do you train? what arts do you train in? Empty
PostSubject: where do you train? what arts do you train in?   where do you train? what arts do you train in? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 3:42 pm

I know some of us on here do fights, some of us just train in it. I am just curious who trains and in what do they train in? do have any preferences in what you train in?

Please share.
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7947

PostSubject: Re: where do you train? what arts do you train in?   where do you train? what arts do you train in? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 9:06 pm

hmm, i give you one guess. lol
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59432

PostSubject: Re: where do you train? what arts do you train in?   where do you train? what arts do you train in? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 11:35 pm

I took kickboxing when I was a little younger ( early teens), then began to branch into Muay Thai a little when I was about 16. I liked it a lot, but wasn't able to keep it going because there wasn't any gym around that was really taking it very seriously. I never got to compete in any tournaments, but I never really lost interest in it. I still hit the bag almost everyday, just to keep the muscle memory. Though now that I'm almost 31, I'm sure my technique isn't as sharp as it was.

A couple of years ago I took up jiu-jitsu at a local place. It was a small group of guys, but the 3 head trainers were all either black or brown belts under Renzo Gracie, so it was legit stuff. Ricardo Almeida was actually more closely associated with it than Renzo Gracie, though. Money got tight for me so I had to stop going (they were asking 135$ a month, and I was only able to go about twice a week), but I learned enough to get the basics and understand what it's really about. Like, for example, when people think of jiu-jitsu, they think of things like "sinking in the choke", when in actuality, sinking in the choke is about 1% of the training and practice. Getting to the point where you have the opportunity to sink in the choke is the part you need to master.

I see that lately there are a few so-called MMA gyms opening up around my area. Because of the sport becoming more mainstream, it's possible that some of these places are run by jokers. But if they are legit, I fully intend to get back on the mat.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22838

PostSubject: Re: where do you train? what arts do you train in?   where do you train? what arts do you train in? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 8:35 am

Wrestled 10 years and a Green belt in TKD Laughing
I haven't trained in a long ass time though.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

PostSubject: Re: where do you train? what arts do you train in?   where do you train? what arts do you train in? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 9:41 am

Chrom wrote:

you were a wrestler? i don't beleave it. jocolor You haven't even shown the slightest bit of love for wrestlers in the ufc. lol!
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22838

PostSubject: Re: where do you train? what arts do you train in?   where do you train? what arts do you train in? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 10:57 am

I know not of what you speak. geek
Back to top Go down
couture fan
Sparring Partner
Sparring Partner
couture fan

Standard Cash : 5580

PostSubject: Re: where do you train? what arts do you train in?   where do you train? what arts do you train in? EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 5:12 pm

Blackbelt in TKD which means shit all buttfuckery and then for last couple of years back into Kickboxing and for the last 1 year BJJ.

All Kickboxing and BJJ is on hold this week as I broke me fucking toe, Garh! It's a right cunt.
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9471

PostSubject: Re: where do you train? what arts do you train in?   where do you train? what arts do you train in? EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 6:08 pm

Gecko wrote:
Chrom wrote:

you were a wrestler? i don't beleave it. jocolor You haven't even shown the slightest bit of love for wrestlers in the ufc. lol!

The sarcasm is so thick in this post that I actually thought you were serious for a second.

I, DEP, am a former amateur boxer, retired undefeated.

9-0 lol!

I boxed for close to 10yrs, it was great therapy for a pissed off teenager. I know it's not really in the realm of traditional martial arts but people have been punching each other since dirt was invented. I do love MMA and respect the skill required to compete these days, but for me it will always play 2nd fiddle to boxing. The best gyms are NOT in the suburbs, you have to drive into some working class neighborhood in Philly to really feel it learn what it's about.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

PostSubject: Re: where do you train? what arts do you train in?   where do you train? what arts do you train in? EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 7:54 am

couture fan wrote:
Blackbelt in TKD which means shit all buttfuckery and then for last couple of years back into Kickboxing and for the last 1 year BJJ.

All Kickboxing and BJJ is on hold this week as I broke me fucking toe, Garh! It's a right cunt.

I just broke my pinky toe and the one next to it back in October when i did a San Shou tournament. I know how much that sucks. It really is amazing how those little things can throw your whole body off.
Back to top Go down
couture fan
Sparring Partner
Sparring Partner
couture fan

Standard Cash : 5580

PostSubject: Re: where do you train? what arts do you train in?   where do you train? what arts do you train in? EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 7:36 am

DEP wrote:
Gecko wrote:
Chrom wrote:

The sarcasm is so thick in this post that I actually thought you were serious for a second.

I, DEP, am a former amateur boxer, retired undefeated.

9-0 lol!

I boxed for close to 10yrs, it was great therapy for a pissed off teenager. I know it's not really in the realm of traditional martial arts but people have been punching each other since dirt was invented. I do love MMA and respect the skill required to compete these days, but for me it will always play 2nd fiddle to boxing. The best gyms are NOT in the suburbs, you have to drive into some working class neighborhood in Philly to really feel it learn what it's about.

where do you train? what arts do you train in? Brando_contender Razz
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3771

PostSubject: Re: where do you train? what arts do you train in?   where do you train? what arts do you train in? EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 11:38 am

Yeah having a broken toe sucks. I've broken right big toe 5 times and each time it's been a pain in the ass.
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9471

PostSubject: Re: where do you train? what arts do you train in?   where do you train? what arts do you train in? EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 7:00 pm

I certainly could NOT have been a "contendah".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: where do you train? what arts do you train in?   where do you train? what arts do you train in? Empty

Back to top Go down

where do you train? what arts do you train in?
Page 1 of 1