The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Monson vs Fedor Vote_lcapMonson vs Fedor Voting_barMonson vs Fedor Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Monson vs Fedor

Go down 
+8
butterknifeninja
lambhimself
Chrom
norcalmatt
DEP
Gecko
Triggerman99
Krieger
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

How much would you pay to see Monson vs Fedor?
$50.00
Monson vs Fedor Vote_lcap0%Monson vs Fedor Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
$40.00
 0% [ 0 ]
$30.00
 0% [ 0 ]
$20.00
 0% [ 0 ]
$10.00
Monson vs Fedor Vote_lcap25%Monson vs Fedor Vote_rcap
 25% [ 3 ]
I wouldn't pay a dime to see this fight.
Monson vs Fedor Vote_lcap75%Monson vs Fedor Vote_rcap
 75% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5718

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Bleacher Report

Fedor vs. Monson on PPV: Why the Fight and Fedor Emelianenko Don't Matter
By Matt Saccaro
(Featured Columnist) on November 4, 2011

Fedor Emelianenko doesn't matter in modern MMA, nor will he matter in MMA history.
Regarding the former point, look at what Emelianenko is up to now. The "Greatest of All Time" is set to fight Jeff Monson (a fighter who hasn't beaten anyone decent since 2009) at an M-1 Global show in Moscow, Russia. Ordering the event will set fans back $29.95 and a good night's sleep, since it will air live from Russia at approximately 7:30 am EST/4:30 am PST.

Meanwhile, the UFC will be putting the two best heavyweights—UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez and challenger Junior Dos Santos—against each other for free on FOX.

Now are you seeing why Fedor Emelianenko isn't exactly relevant these days and why nobody cares about what he's doing with M-1?
"So what? Everybody falls out of their prime! Fedor will still be remembered as one of the greatest of all time," the typical Emelianenko or Pride fan would say.
However, there is no guarantee that Emelianenko will ever be remembered as one of the greats. In fact, it's far more likely that he'll be forgotten. There are two words that can prove this:

Frank Shamrock.
When Frank Shamrock was UFC light heavyweight champion, he was more than just that. He was the undisputed light heavyweight champion of the world since he managed to beat the best in his weight class in the United States as well as in Japan (the only other country with a significant talent pool at the time).
He was one of the most successful fighters in the sport's and the company's history.
But is not history a set of lies agreed upon?

Shamrock's personality clashed with UFC president Dana White's. As a result, Frank Shamrock was practically erased from UFC history (and by extension, MMA history, since the majority of fans don't know anything outside of what the official UFC line is).
Shamrock is not in the UFC hall of fame; Shamrock isn't mentioned in broadcasts or in anything that the UFC does. It's almost as if he didn't even exist.
If Shamrock—a man who worked for the company and was even a champion there—was erased from existence, what will happen to Emelianenko, a man who never even fought in the UFC? He, too, will fade away.

There is no doubt that he was once the best heavyweight in the world. Back when the UFC was parading around guys like Wesley "Cabbage" Correira and Wes Sims as world-beaters, Emelianenko was actually beating the world in Pride. Despite having better fighters on the whole (at least in the light heavyweight and heavyweight divisions), Pride fell, and it seemed like we'd see Emelianenko dominate in the UFC.
This wasn't to be.

After Pride was gone, the UFC was the dominant force in mixed martial arts. By not signing with them, Emelianenko destroyed his legacy.
Instead of being remembered as a great fighter, he'll be remembered as the guy who couldn't hack it in Strikeforce and the minor leagues, and who only became famous by beating up guys who couldn't perform well in the UFC or even make it to the UFC.
As the sport progresses, the UFC's version of the sport's history will eventually become the only version of the sport's history.
The legacy of Fedor Emelianenko will live on only in Youtube highlight reels and in the mint-condition Pride DVDs of MMA historians and the world's last remaining Pride fans, who will still be insisting that the long-dead organization is better than the UFC.

Tragic?

Hardly. While some are lamenting the fall of Fedor Emelianenko and the inevitable loss of his legacy, most MMA fans will be enjoying the growth of the UFC and the creation of new stars like Jon Jones, Cain Velasquez, Junior Dos Santos and more.
So it seems that the MMA world has finally gotten over Fedor Emelianenko. Have you?
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 2:18 pm

I can't believe I'm agreeing with something coming out of the Bleacher Report .... but ... damn here we are!
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59431

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 2:44 pm

That's pretty harsh, and I don't even like Fedor.
But there is some truth here.

I don't think he will be forgotten or erased from the history, but I do think he fucked himself in more ways than one with his business decisions. On top of that, I am one of "those" fans who believe he was never really as good as some made him out to be. I think it has been proven that "our" stance on him is more true than the idea that he was this unbeatable god, and that more likely than not will be the biggest hit to his legacy, not the fact that Dana doesn't like him.

I also loved this part;
Quote :
The legacy of Fedor Emelianenko will live on only in Youtube highlight reels and in the mint-condition Pride DVDs of MMA historians and the world's last remaining Pride fans, who will still be insisting that the long-dead organization is better than the UFC.
That is dead on!
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 2:46 pm

Oh, and I would watch it if they paid me. That would be my vote.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15311

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 3:31 pm

I put down $10. A fighter has got to eat right?
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9470

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 3:53 pm

Sorry, couldn't get past the first sentence. That is one of the dumbest things ever written in the MMA world. Go cover politics if you want to build mountains of BS.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 4:11 pm

Yeah that opening statement kind of set the tone for where this was going. It makes logical debate that much more difficult when someone is that extreme on one end.
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 16376

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 4:20 pm

good points and a decent read for B.R.......Im also one of those fans who never thought he was as good as the hype......i do like that they give him his due and mention how weak the ufc hw div was at the time compared to the heavies he was fighting at the time. That right there is where my respect for fedor comes from, not his later years 2005ish and on.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 5:17 pm

I think its important to note what he was saying about Frank Shamrock. The guy was an unbeatable monster. He would beat guys so soundly he was on the road for greatness. But as egos go ... he thought he was the last emperor... thought he was MMA .... and fought the powers that be.

Once a man of greatness on the UFC stage Frank soon passed out of peoples memories and is quickly fading into distant memory...

Monson vs the Paper Emperor will do nothing for his legacy... win or lose.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 5:41 pm

Getting the living christ beat out of him by Cung Le and Nick Diaz probably didn't help hi legacy, either. Much like Fedor losing to everybody lately.
It's a combination of a few different things that damage their reputations.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 6:28 pm

For Frank I really do believe it was ego. Pancrase king from the early 90s he really did think he was the UFC after 5 ufc fights. People loved the guy but then as egos take you in this game he killed his own legacy.

Losses to Diaz and Cung Le ... two ego fights two ego losses. Sigh

We all have heros in this game we lament their fall but fall they do. Its sad to hear people say "Frank who".
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22837

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 8:15 am

Frank who... you mean Ken Shamrock, from WWF right....
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 8:17 am

Oh yeah I put $10. But not at 4:30AM... you should pay me to get up that early.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 8:20 am

Chrom wrote:
Frank who... you mean Ken Shamrock, from WWF right....

and that is the reply of death right there. I still hear people refer to Brock as the former WWE champion right? The guy who beat Kurt Angle? lol!
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5910

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 8:23 am

I am going to stay on Chroms line, I ain't getting up at 4am for shit; especially the dinner plate special of a fight. I'd pay $10 for the same reason as Gecko, Monson's gotta eat right>?
Back to top Go down
butterknifeninja
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
butterknifeninja

Standard Cash : 3994

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 11:52 am

I wouldn't pay a thing. Fedor's last few fights have been against better guys than Monson and those were free...how are you gonna charge to see him fight a light heavyweight that no one cares about??
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 12:25 pm

butterknifeninja wrote:
I wouldn't pay a thing. Fedor's last few fights have been against better guys than Monson and those were free...how are you gonna charge to see him fight a light heavyweight that no one cares about??

no love for the snowman eh?
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 1:41 pm

I'm usually still up at 4:30, not getting up at 4:30. So who knows, if I'm drunk enough at that point I might pay the $$$.... and then proceed to kill myself the next day when I realize what I have done.

Actually, I'm in New York, so it'll be 7:30 for me, right? Yeah, there's no way I'm staying up that late/getting up that early.
Back to top Go down
butterknifeninja
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
butterknifeninja

Standard Cash : 3994

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 5:27 pm

Gecko wrote:
butterknifeninja wrote:

Meh. He's a great grappler but doesn't seem to have transitioned well to MMA. Plus he isn't all that exciting to watch.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 5:32 pm

butterknifeninja wrote:
Gecko wrote:
butterknifeninja wrote:

Meh. He's a great grappler but doesn't seem to have transitioned well to MMA. Plus he isn't all that exciting to watch.
Tell that to these folks:
Monson vs Fedor Rncprotest1b
Back to top Go down
ChokingVictim
Sparring Partner
Sparring Partner
ChokingVictim

Standard Cash : 5698

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 12:50 pm

This article is shit

Fedor may be irrelevant right now, but saying in MMA history is complete bullshit
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5910

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 2:10 pm

Chrom wrote:
butterknifeninja wrote:
Gecko wrote:
butterknifeninja wrote:

Tell that to these folks:
Monson vs Fedor Rncprotest1b

Chrom did you photoshop that or is it legit,
its a deadly photoshop job if thats the case;
and if not still a cool pic.
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9470

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 6:09 pm

butterknifeninja wrote:
Gecko wrote:
butterknifeninja wrote:

And he's a commie piece of shit, don't forget that.

No offense to "the commie". Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 6:32 pm

Oh no, that picture is a totally legit. My cousin actually took that picture too... too bad he had no clue who Monson was. Shocked It was during some riot shit that happened in Minneapolis when the Republicans where doing some convention. A handfull of the photos they showed in the news for that riot were taken by my little cousin, that crazy fucker.
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7946

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 8:30 pm

ok, obviously my name is a joke. its because im russian. but! dont knock on communism, understand it first. there is pluses and minuses in both systems. what happened in the soviet union was not communism!! in an idealistic society communism should work and would be perfect.
we are not ideal and thats why it doesnt work. calling somebody a "commie piece of shit" sounds too much like the cold era fanatism. im sure people that call them self communist dont wish the same that happened in our countries.
also, Monson is not a commie, he is an anarchist.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Monson vs Fedor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monson vs Fedor   Monson vs Fedor Empty

Back to top Go down

Monson vs Fedor
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next