The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones Vote_lcapDan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones Voting_barDan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones Vote_lcapDan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones Voting_barDan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22854

Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones Empty
PostSubject: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Quote :
If there’s one thing you can say about Dan Henderson, it’s that he doesn’t back down from a challenge.

The former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion has faced some of the best fighters in the world at 185 and 205 pounds, and even made a trip to heavyweight for his most recent fight where he knocked out former pound-for-pound king Fedor Emelianenko.

So it should be no surprise that when he signed his new deal with the Ultimate Fighting Championship, Henderson asked to fight UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. Henderson saw no need in wasting time, so he wanted to get a title shot on day one, but when he was offered Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 139 instead, he happily accepted.

“I actually would have rather been in a fight for the title, but this fight excites me too. Shogun’s a tough guy, and it’s gonna be a big challenge,” Henderson told MMAWeekly Radio recently.

Had it not been for Rashad Evans’ inability to take his scheduled fight with Jon Jones due to injury, Henderson is pretty sure he actually would be fighting for the belt at UFC 140.

“Had Rashad said he was injured two or three weeks earlier, I probably would have had that fight instead of (Lyoto) Machida,” Henderson revealed.

No matter, he is motivated and ready for his match-up with Shogun at UFC 139. Both fighters spent several years fighting in Pride Fighting Championships in Japan, but never met in the ring.

Henderson has, however, watched Shogun fight several times, from his days in Japan all the way to his recent run in the UFC. Breaking down the fight footage, Henderson sees some gaps in the Brazilian’s performances, but still considers him as dangerous as ever.

“I think he’s always been a little bit hot and cold, but when he’s on, he’s a little dangerous and tough. When he’s off, he’s still tough just not quite as tough as he normally would be. Everybody has those days, but it seems like the last couple of years he’s been hot and cold,” Henderson said.

Much like anything in the UFC, performance pays off and even though former champion Rashad Evans is waiting in the wings for the winner of the Jon Jones/Lyoto Machida fight in December, nothing is guaranteed until bout agreements are offered and signed.

With the right kind of fight plus injuries that slow down contenders, Henderson could absolutely earn a shot at the light heavyweight title with a win at UFC 139. But while Henderson would love to add a knockout of Shogun to his resume, he won’t start headhunting just to prove a point or make a play for a shot at the belt.

“I’m not going to try extra hard to knock him out just to get a title shot,” said Henderson. “I’m going out there first and foremost to win the fight, and obviously try to finish him along the way.”

If Henderson is victorious, he’s ready to take on the challenge of UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones right away if possible.

It’s a fight that intrigues him, but also presents certain problems, and as evident by every other fight Henderson takes, it’s all about the challenge.

“I do think that would be a fight I would enjoy,” Henderson said about facing Jones. “He’s awkward and unorthodox and it creates something to think about and how to beat that, and that’s what excites me these days. Guys that are a big challenge, and he would be more cause he’s awkward and dangerous at the same time, but I think he matches up really well with me style wise.”

Henderson definitely respects Jones for all the talent that he possesses and believes he has a bright future ahead, but he’s not ready to buy into the talk that he’s one of the best already.

“I’m not one to buy into things too quickly. I’ve been doing this for a long time and seen a lot of guys beat a lot of tough guys really quick and then die out,” said Henderson.

“I think he’s going to be around a long time, he’s just going to get better. But at this point he’s still got a lot to improve on, and he’s athletic and talented and he does learn. He’s got a huge future, but I think he’s got a little ways to go.”

source
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5927

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 2:09 pm

Can't help but love a guy that shoots from the hip
and could really care less what people think about him;
puts his opinions out there in a respectable fashion and
doesn't disrespect anybody too badly.

and he KO'd Bisping how can anybody not be a fna of Dan Henderson!
(Gecks ?)

This guy is on a huge roll in his last handful of fights, that why I had him
ranked higher than shogun on my top 10. Sure jake shields beat him in a
UD but look at who else he has beaten recently.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59448

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 3:53 pm

If he beats Shogun, I'd much rather see him fight Rashad for the top spot. For one, I think that fight would be awesome. Also, it would really tickle me to see Rashad have to wait even longer for his shot......that's if he were even to beat Hendo.

Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15328

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 3:59 pm

Dan Henderson moved up to lhw and hw to duck a rematch with Bisping, there i said it and now it's time for you all to accept it.

jones will win by Ko
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 4:39 pm

Gecko wrote:
Dan Henderson moved up to lhw and hw to duck a rematch with Bisping, there i said it and now it's time for you all to accept it.

jones will win by Ko

lol!

When Mayhem takes out Bisping in there fight, you will regret ever saying that about Henderson;
Dance Dance Dance

War Mayhem Metal

I see Dan beating Shogun, and losing to Jones in devastating fashion unfortunately;
Jones is a bigger version of Silva with the youth in his favor!
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 4:47 pm

Dan Henderson Last 7 fights
Fedor - KO Win
Rafael Cavalcante - KO Win
Renato Sobral - KO Win
Jake Shields - UD Loss
Michael Bisping - KO Win
Rich Franklin - SD Win
Rousimar Palhares - UD Win

I don't like any fighters chances against Dan, especially Bisping's! Very Happy

Michael Bisping Last 7 Fights
Jorge Rivera - TKO Win
Yoshihiro Akiyama - UD Win
Dan Miller - UD Win
Wanderlei Silva - UD Loss
Denis Kang - TKO Win
Dan henderson - KO Loss
Chris Leben - UD Win

Also the level of competition is not even comparable imo,
not bashing Bisping; just trying to give Gecko some insight. Surprised

PS - If Bisping didn't fight in the UK every card he'd never win FOTN, just sayin.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Bisping left light heavyweight after Rashad Whoop him, whose ducking who?
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 5:13 pm

You say that like Henderson's last 7 fights are really impressive or something. The most impressive win on there is Franklin, and it's a split decision that most people think he lost.

Regardless, I agree that it probably doesn't matter when or if Dan gets a shot at Jones, becasue it's probably gonna end badly for Dan.
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 5:23 pm

In comparison to Bisping more than anything is what I was going for;
I was impressed with his most recent 2 fights especially.

Especially the fight with Cavalcante, I don''t know how that is not impressive;
and KO'ing the legend Fedor was epic imo.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22854

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 5:43 pm

When you KO a guy who is a weight class higher than you, who was only 2 fights prior to that fight, spoken of as God of MMA and who has never been KO'd... thats impressive.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 5:51 pm

Ehhh.....

That was looooooong two fights ago.

But I could give you that one I suppose. The rest of them? Neh, not so much.

Babalu I shouldn't even have to mention, and Cavalcante, Paul Harris, and Bisping are B-level fighters (and that's being generous to Cavalcante and Paul Harris), and that loss to Shields is a major black mark, I don't care how many excuses there are out there for it.

But if we're just comparing it to Bisping's recent fights, then I agree that his isn't anywhere near impressive.
Why are we doing that, anyway?
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5735

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 8:06 pm

Sigh I can't let my buddy Gecko weigh into this without backup....

I still believe Henderson's low class second punch on an unconscious and already convulsing Bisping shows exactly what kind of man he is.... Beating the Paper Emperor and Babalu? Really? Thats your proof of his greatness? Against Franklin and Shields he was already faltering he is now due to fall all the way.

I can hardly wait for Henderson vs Jones but unfortunately after Rua knocks him the fuk out I wonder how long Dana will keep him around. Well I guess if Dana is willing to keep Wandy around he will sure let a few more folks keep knocking Henderson out for awhile.

I've never liked Henderson... never will. Can't forget the "contract difficulties"...

From Yahoo Sports Oct 09:

Henderson's move to UFC's rival organization Strikeforce should not come as a total surprise.

The grizzled veteran, vocally expressed his dissatisfaction in not getting his shot for the middle-weight belt after knocking out Michael Bisping (18-2) in UFC 100.

He also had trouble inking a new contract with the UFC. Henderson, the Fertitta owners and UFC president Dana White reportedly met together at the end of September to work out a resolution, but nothing came to fruition.

As time passed without any positive progress, White made things turn from bad to worse by banning Henderson's trademark sponsor, Clinchgear, from the organization.

It is reported that Henderson refused to fight fellow UFC middleweight Nate Marquardt (29-Cool at UFC 109 in 2010. Marquardt will instead face Henderson's Team Quest teammate Chael Sonnen."

To me Henderson isnt some sort of Legendary MMA fighter... he's a little whiny boy who took his ball and went home.... and now he wants the "special treatment" he didnt get last time..... Nawwwww
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 10:24 pm

No no no!!! Come on now. Everybody knows it's Anderson's fault and only Anderson's fault that Dan didn't get exactly what he wanted, when he wanted it, and how he wanted it. Dan Henderson is a victim in that situation, and Anderson Silva calls all the shots!

Rolling Eyes

But in all seriousness (that was in fact sarcasm for those keeping score), I agree that Hendo's recent resume leaves much to be desired, and it is for that reason that his demands about title shots and sense of entitlement really rubs me the wrong way. I don't see what he is seeing in terms of him deserving a shot. I don't really love Shogun, but I will be pulling for him to put Hendo down so we can hopefully hear the last of this Hendo title shot nonsense.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 8:02 am

Krieger wrote:

I still believe Henderson's low class second punch on an unconscious and already convulsing Bisping shows exactly what kind of man he is.... Beating the Paper Emperor and Babalu? Really? Thats your proof of his greatness? Against Franklin and Shields he was already faltering he is now due to fall all the way.

I can hardly wait for Henderson vs Jones but unfortunately after Rua knocks him the fuk out I wonder how long Dana will keep him around. Well I guess if Dana is willing to keep Wandy around he will sure let a few more folks keep knocking Henderson out for awhile.

I've never liked Henderson... never will. Can't forget the "contract difficulties"...

Henderson's move to UFC's rival organization Strikeforce should not come as a total surprise.

The grizzled veteran, vocally expressed his dissatisfaction in not getting his shot for the middle-weight belt after knocking out Michael Bisping (18-2) in UFC 100.

He also had trouble inking a new contract with the UFC. Henderson, the Fertitta owners and UFC president Dana White reportedly met together at the end of September to work out a resolution, but nothing came to fruition.

As time passed without any positive progress, White made things turn from bad to worse by banning Henderson's trademark sponsor, Clinchgear, from the organization.

It is reported that Henderson refused to fight fellow UFC middleweight Nate Marquardt (29-Cool at UFC 109 in 2010. Marquardt will instead face Henderson's Team Quest teammate Chael Sonnen."

To me Henderson isnt some sort of Legendary MMA fighter... he's a little whiny boy who took his ball and went home.... and now he wants the "special treatment" he didnt get last time..... Nawwwww

Testify, testify my brother. and plus 1 to you good sir. I am only kidding about henderson ducking bisping but i wouldn't mind seeing a rematch either.

Lamb you are very wrong about Bisping leaving LHW to duck rashad. Ever since bisping won the TUF3 dana kept telling him to move to middle weight and Bisping kept telling him why? I am undefeated so far at LHW, when i lose then maybe i will try it out and he did after his first lose to rashad and has stayed there ever since.If you really think Miller is a shoe in to win, hop on in to the avatar bet then.

Back to main subject. hendo will try for the right hook knock out and shogun will catch him and drop him. Jones will do much worst to Dan. in fact it could be down right cruel to even put dan in there with Jones. unless dana wants to see dan retire for good.
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 9:44 am

Gecko wrote:
Krieger wrote:

Testify, testify my brother. and plus 1 to you good sir. I am only kidding about henderson ducking bisping but i wouldn't mind seeing a rematch either.

Lamb you are very wrong about Bisping leaving LHW to duck rashad. Ever since bisping won the TUF3 dana kept telling him to move to middle weight and Bisping kept telling him why? I am undefeated so far at LHW, when i lose then maybe i will try it out and he did after his first lose to rashad and has stayed there ever since.If you really think Miller is a shoe in to win, hop on in to the avatar bet then.

Back to main subject. hendo will try for the right hook knock out and shogun will catch him and drop him. Jones will do much worst to Dan. in fact it could be down right cruel to even put dan in there with Jones. unless dana wants to see dan retire for good.

I completely agree with the last part, was just trying to bug you about the second part; but will definitely be going in any avatar bet with regards to the Miller-Bisping!
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5735

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 2:01 pm

Damn you Lamb.... I hate avatar bets... BUT if someone can make me an avatar gif of a Panda butt fucking Henderson I will put my well thought out, and historically important avatar on the line cause Bisping is gonna kill Miller and then beat up on Danny boy....

heh

You may have bugged Gecko about the second part .. but the third part (the one that refers to the first part) HAS NO PART IN THIS CONVERSATION.....

... I dont even know what I just said... ... SO THERE!
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 2:11 pm

What the hell was the first part?

I don't even know what thread this is!

BTW, I asked before, but is there a thread for this av bet? Can someone link it for me?
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 3:18 pm

I 2nd all parts of krieger ....wait that didnt sound right did it?
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Triggerman99 wrote:
What the hell was the first part?

I don't even know what thread this is!

BTW, I asked before, but is there a thread for this av bet? Can someone link it for me?

I already added you.

https://mmastandard.forumotion.com/t778-bisping-vs-miller-avatar-betting

We need some bisping love over there, So far i am the only one betting on Bisping.....Where's the love?
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 8:53 am

I'm comfortable here cheering for Miller, this isn't like a blind crazy shot like Drainbamage used to take to get consecutive month after month of overlapping AV`s; remember the Beiber ones, old times Very Happy

Good luck to all parties involved, unless your cheering for Bisping.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones   Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones Empty

Back to top Go down

Dan Henderson: Shogun First Then Jon Jones
Page 1 of 1