The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot. Vote_lcapNick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot. Voting_barNick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot. Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot. Vote_lcapNick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot. Voting_barNick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot. Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot.

Go down 
+2
Krieger
Triggerman99
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59450

Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot. Empty
PostSubject: Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot.   Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot. EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 5:21 pm

Quote :
The outspoken and sometimes controversial former Strikeforce champion has both delighted and baffled MMA fans with his trashtalking and open challenges to MMA superstars such as UFC champ Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC).

And while his rants often seem a bit random in their focus, Diaz on Monday's new edition of HDNet's "Inside MMA" seemed to reveal that he's been following a master plan all along: To the villain goes the spoils.

"It's been embarrassing," Diaz said of his recent high-profile role in the MMA media. "You don't always come off they way you want to or look the way you want to. I had to go out there and just act up and become the evil villain.

"I'm calling guys out and stuff, but it seemed to have worked. I'm getting the fights I want. I can't complain right now."

He's obviously not doing it to within sniffing distance of what Chael Sonnen is doing, but it does seem to be working.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/25996/ufc-143s-nick-diaz-tells-inside-mma-that-villain-role-effective-not-necessarily-comfortable.mma

Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5737

PostSubject: Re: Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot.   Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot. EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 10:11 pm

No silly ... all you had to do was abandon Strikeforce and sign with the ufc and do a couple of pressers.... but you blew that, and lost the title shot that was GIVEN to you on a silver platter.

No one asked you to be a bad guy or a villain to get a title shot YOU HAD THE TITLE SHOT. But in what is becoming typical Nick fashion.... blame others or your circumstance... whine a little bit ... and .... come late to the next presser.... but sure ... its out of your hands.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot.   Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot. EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 11:12 pm

Did you watch the video?
He's not whining or saying anything is out of his hands. He's saying that in order to leap-frog Condit and get back in the title fight, he had to turn it up a notch with the "evil villain" stuff, and now he's right back where he wants to be.

There's no whining or blaming others going on at all here. He's just explaining that he's playing the game, so to speak.

(I can't believe I'm going through this again!! lol! )
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9489

PostSubject: Re: Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot.   Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot. EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 1:39 am

I think he honestly has no idea what he's doing, that he has no strategy and that he just plays by the seat of his pants, minute to minute, day to day. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who formulates a master plan.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot.   Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot. EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 2:26 am

Yeah I think Bas and the other guy in the vid are giving him a little too much credit. Did he turn up the shit-talking a little bit after beating BJ in hopes of getting GSP and Dana's attention? Yeah, probably. But is he a "PR genius"? No way in hell.
He didn't do or say anything he doesn't always say, he just did it a little extra this time. And it worked. That doesn't mean he's playing everybody like a fiddle.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10311

PostSubject: Re: Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot.   Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot. EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 7:50 am

Exactly DEP...I couldn't agree more. He's not the type of guy that I give any credit to as far as building a game plan to get what he wants. He's not acting any different than he ever has. It's just his nature to be the thug...or "evil villain" as he likes to call it.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5737

PostSubject: Re: Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot.   Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot. EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 9:57 am

I agree Trigg, upon reviewing the interview, I will admit that Nick did not go down the road that has raised the ire of many a fight fan recently.

Yes .... it was very nice to see Nick so... managed .... relaxed.... and ... lucid. His comments were.... mindful and he appeared to think before he answered the questions. This perhaps is one of the better interviews Nick has given.

Even his face looked relaxed.... and he smiled nicely... and he did control his derogatory comments to other fighters. Yes Nick looked very much in control of himself.

And NO I am not implying that he was under the influence of the herb! Nor am I implying that he was under the influence of legally prescribed pharmacuticals such as Ritillin, or Lithium, or Prozac or any other lawfully or unlawfully obtained psychotropic pharmacutical designed to alter ones moods or emotions.

I'm just saying ... he was nice... he was relaxed... and... he gave a good interview.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15330

PostSubject: Re: Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot.   Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot. EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 10:42 am

Krieger wrote:
I agree Trigg, upon reviewing the interview, I will admit that Nick did not go down the road that has raised the ire of many a fight fan recently.

Yes .... it was very nice to see Nick so... managed .... relaxed.... and ... lucid. His comments were.... mindful and he appeared to think before he answered the questions. This perhaps is one of the better interviews Nick has given.

Even his face looked relaxed.... and he smiled nicely... and he did control his derogatory comments to other fighters. Yes Nick looked very much in control of himself.

And NO I am not implying that he was under the influence of the herb! Nor am I implying that he was under the influence of legally prescribed pharmacuticals such as Ritillin, or Lithium, or Prozac or any other lawfully or unlawfully obtained psychotropic pharmacutical designed to alter ones moods or emotions.

I'm just saying ... he was nice... he was relaxed... and... he gave a good interview.

So he was on drugs then. lol! I am just kidding dont banned me. Sad
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5929

PostSubject: Re: Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot.   Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot. EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 11:35 am

Hilarious claims from the interview:

Claim #1:
"I was here first, I've been a UFC fighter longer than GSP has . . . . "

Nick Diaz 10 fights in the UFC over 3 years, 1 present to date (2003-2006, 6 months present) :

Totals : 11 fights Time: 3 1/2 years.

GSP: 18 fights in the UFC 7 years (2004 - present)

Yeah Nick clearly, you've been a UFC fighter longer, except for the part where you left; George started fighting for the UFC literally 4 months after Diaz first fight for the UFC, so I guess he was here first, but f4 months between each ones first fights is pretty much the sametime in MMA imo.

Claim #2:
"I've fought the bigger names...."

Nick Diaz
Karo Parisyan - LOST (Aug.2004)
Sean Sherk - LOST (Apr.2006)
Diego Sanchez - LOST (Nov.2005)
Joe Riggs - LOST (Feb.2006)
Josh Neer - WON (Aug.2006)
Gleison Tibau - WON (Nov.2006) *last fight B4 leaving
Takanori Gomi - NC (Feb.2007) DRUGS
KJ Noon - LOST (Nov.2007) TKO/Cut

Cont. Nick wins: Frank Shamrock, Scott Smith, Hayato Sakurai, KJ Noons,
Evangelista Santos, Paul Daley, BJ Penn.

GSP
Karo Parisyan - WON (Jan.2004)
Sean Sherk - WON (Nov.2005)
Matt Hughes - LOST (Oct.2004)
Jason Miller - WON (Apr.2005)
Frank Trigg - WON (Aug.2005)
BJ Penn - WON (Mar.2006)
Matt Hughes - WON (Nov.2006)
Matt Serra - LOST (Apr.2007)

Cont. GSP wins: Josh Koscheck 2x, Matt Hughes, Matt Serra, Jon Fitch, Thiago Alvez, Bj Penn 2x,
Dan Hardy, Josh Koscheck, Jake Shields.

Clearly it is evident that early in both respective fighters careers they faced similar opponents around the same time period in which GSP won and Nick Lost. Even with Diaz having much more experience fighting than GSP had at the time, weird.

So GSP has beaten many fighters Nick lost to and avenged all his losses, to bad Nick can't say that. The last point I am going to bring up is the fact GSP has beaten fighters in his WW title defenses Diaz would be lucky to beat;
i.e: Fitch, Kos 2x, a better BJ 2x [for trigger, Smile ], Matt Hughes 2/3, Thiago, Shields ?, Hardy

I am not a Nick hater by any means, but I have little respect for claims with no weight;

Claim #3: (Sorry if this is getting long winded) [more funny than anything]

"..for him not to want the harder fight, you expect everybody to think Carlos Conduit is the harder fight, you know its just not, it may be the case, but not on paper.

Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot.   Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot. EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 12:10 pm

Krieger wrote:

I realized after I posted the link that it would have been more productive of me to actually try and embed the video instead. Because it's like you said, when you watch the video, you get a completely different picture than the one you get when you read those short few quotes in the small article.

He rarely looks that calm and collected. But when he does, he almost seems friendly.
WTF?!?! Shocked
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5929

PostSubject: Re: Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot.   Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot. EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 12:12 pm

^ he definitely looked comfortable and composed for the most part.
Nice interview regardless.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot.   Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot. Empty

Back to top Go down

Nick Diaz- "I had to become the evil villain" to get a title shot.
Page 1 of 1