The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Jamie Varner pulls a Brett Favre - Un-retires Vote_lcapJamie Varner pulls a Brett Favre - Un-retires Voting_barJamie Varner pulls a Brett Favre - Un-retires Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Jamie Varner pulls a Brett Favre - Un-retires Vote_lcapJamie Varner pulls a Brett Favre - Un-retires Voting_barJamie Varner pulls a Brett Favre - Un-retires Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Jamie Varner pulls a Brett Favre - Un-retires

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5912

Jamie Varner pulls a Brett Favre - Un-retires Empty
PostSubject: Jamie Varner pulls a Brett Favre - Un-retires   Jamie Varner pulls a Brett Favre - Un-retires EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 5:06 pm

It might go down as one of the shortest retirements in the history of the sport. One month ago, after losing a decision to late replacement Dakota Cochrane at a Titan Fighting Championships event, Jamie Varner took to his Twitter to tell fans that he'd had enough.

"I gave fighting another shot I need 2 thank u guys 4 ur support! But I just don't have it anymore. Love u all but ull never c me fight again," Varner wrote.

A short time later, that message was removed. Shortly after that, Varner was back in the gym, preparing to have another go at it Friday night at an XFC event on HDNet. Maybe it just goes to show that you should never say never, even on Twitter.

"I think, honestly, I just made an emotional decision and an emotional remark," Varner told MMA Fighting this week. "I feel like I didn't perform very well in that last fight. The guy just overpowered me. He wasn't very good. I was much better than the guy, but I just got controlled. I didn't like that feeling, and I just thought maybe it was time for me to hang it up."

Of course, the former WEC lightweight champ didn't hold that opinion for very long. Once he started to think about it, Varner decided that maybe his passion for the sport hadn't evaporated after all. Maybe he'd just been hit with a few bad breaks, one right after another.

For starters, he said, his original opponent was pulled from the lineup just a few days before the bout. Then the replacement, Dakota Cochrane, couldn't make the lightweight limit, so Varner had to fight at welterweight despite the fact that he'd already completed the bulk of his weight cut to get down to 155 pounds.

After getting overpowered by a bigger opponent, Varner said, frustration briefly got the better of him. Hence the tweet.

"Then I took a week off, came home to talk to my trainers, and they were like, 'You shouldn't have even taken that fight.' It wasn't in my weight class, and too many factors played into that. Maybe I was a little overtrained, too. Who knows? But I prepared for one guy, got a completely different guy, and then it wasn't even in my weight class. I'm a lightweight. I have no business fighting a welterweight."

Source

Not that its the biggest news in the world or that I am that interested, but I think he is young and still very capable of putting on good fights; wish him the best in his comeback.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5720

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Varner pulls a Brett Favre - Un-retires   Jamie Varner pulls a Brett Favre - Un-retires EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Heh batting .500 in his last 10 fights.... boy the fans will be clamoring to put down hard earned dollars on this guy....
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9472

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Varner pulls a Brett Favre - Un-retires   Jamie Varner pulls a Brett Favre - Un-retires EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 8:59 pm

All I hear are excuses.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59433

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Varner pulls a Brett Favre - Un-retires   Jamie Varner pulls a Brett Favre - Un-retires EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 1:59 am

Blah blah blah blah blah.......

Is anybody here a Jamie Varner fan?

No...seriously.

Anybody?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Varner pulls a Brett Favre - Un-retires   Jamie Varner pulls a Brett Favre - Un-retires Empty

Back to top Go down

Jamie Varner pulls a Brett Favre - Un-retires
Page 1 of 1