The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? Vote_lcapShould title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? Voting_barShould title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? Vote_lcapShould title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? Voting_barShould title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings?

Go down 
+2
Chrom
Krieger
6 posters

Should a title fight always be determined by ranking?
Yes matching the champ up with the number one contender is always the way to go.
Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? Vote_lcap14%Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? Vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
No, give the Cinderella Man or Rocky a shot at the title every now and then. Thats where stories are made.
Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? Vote_lcap86%Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? Vote_rcap
 86% [ 6 ]
Naw who cares about champions... its not if you win or lose its how you develop your character.
Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? Vote_lcap0%Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5740

Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings?   Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 9:39 am

I shall wait a respectful period before putting forth my own opinion... affraid
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22859

Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings?   Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 3:17 pm

I think there will always a time or a place for a Rocky scenario, but not often. Boxing could use one right now... Im lookin at you Kimbo. Suspect
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35201

PostSubject: Re: Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings?   Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 4:09 pm

I said no. If you always give it to the top ranked guy, then it's going to be like boxing where the same to guys fight over and over again.

Best case scenario, imo, is to see as many different matchups as possible.
It doesn't have to be a cinderella man, but I don't mind going down the rankings to find a guy that the champ has not faced yet.
For the same reasons, this is why I do no like rematches (ever) unless there are at least two fights between them and it is necessary to determine a champion or title shot.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

PostSubject: Re: Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings?   Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 4:42 pm

Yeah, I agree with stock.

Sometimes the guy who just lost to the champ is still the 2nd best fighter in the division. So do you keep giving him a shot over and over again until either he beats the champ or someone somehow overtakes his spot at #2?

You gotta spread it around a bit. Just try to keep title shots to the current top 5 or 6 fighters is all I would suggest.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

PostSubject: Re: Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings?   Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 7:10 pm

The one thing I do disagree with is the fact that under the rankings determining the challengers is that the champ is ALWAYS fighting the number one guy. His fights are always the toughest fights and guys on the ladder don't have to fight the toughest guy all the time to climb the ladder.

I picked the Cinderella man scenario cause I love the underdog (most of the time) which is why I only have 277 cash.... sigh
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

PostSubject: Re: Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings?   Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 7:11 pm

WOOOOOOT 278
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5932

PostSubject: Re: Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings?   Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 11:04 am

I think its important to use the rankings to determine title fights, however also feel its completely irrelevant due to the fact that any fighter can come along on any given day and be granted a title shot for whatever reason Joe Silva deems acceptable.

The idea of the rocky story scenario or a similar one brings the Jon Jones situation to my mind,
I honestly didn't even know what happened to give Jones the shot at Shogun for the title before Rashad. Last I had heard was that Rashad and Shogun were going to go at it, then next thing I hear is its Jones and Shogun; wtf happened.

If the rankings are not going to be used to determine the title fights then what is the point of having them period? So there would be the champion and everyone else under the champion in the division who would all be possible title contenders?

I do understand that it can get really automated with the top 3 guys being in the title picture constantly. But that is the reason why I believe if you lose to the champion your not #2 anymore, you should fall in the rankings as low as justifiable; and work you way back up, not necessarily fighting guys ranked above you but 3 or 4 fights to get back into the title picture is reasonable imo.

A perfect example of the scenario of losing to the champ and remaining a clear #2 in the division is Gray Maynard; especially having a record of 1 - 1 - 1 against the current champ all time. With that being said the LW division is a crazy place where anything can happen in any fight so it may not be so cut and dry as I initially had thought for Gray.

A neat topic though which is bound to lead to great discussion on the matter.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15333

PostSubject: Re: Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings?   Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 11:22 am

Krieger wrote:
The one thing I do disagree with is the fact that under the rankings determining the challengers is that the champ is ALWAYS fighting the number one guy. His fights are always the toughest fights and guys on the ladder don't have to fight the toughest guy all the time to climb the ladder.

I picked the Cinderella man scenario cause I love the underdog (most of the time) which is why I only have 277 cash.... sigh

I 100% back you up and is why i am left 224. lol! I remember on the old board i joined up right before gsp and serra 1 and i made a killing on serra. I dont think that will happen again unless Bisping beats silva for the title by KO in the 2nd round. Metal
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5932

PostSubject: Re: Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings?   Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 12:34 pm

Yeah that being said, your probably right on that it will probably never happen again.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings?   Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should title shots ALWAYS be determined by where a fighter is in the rankings?
Page 1 of 1