The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' Vote_lcapMatt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' Voting_barMatt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' Vote_lcapMatt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' Voting_barMatt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now'

Go down 
+3
FistK
Gecko
Chrom
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22855

Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' Empty
PostSubject: Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now'   Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 1:28 pm

Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' Meathead1
Quote :
The biggest test of his professional fighting career awaits Matt Mitrione on October 29, when he steps into the cage to oppose the dangerous veteran striker Cheick Kongo in Las Vegas.

At 5-0, Mitrione is still unbeaten, yet still quite green in the game. Still, he's opened some eyes with his power, conditioning and aptitude for learning and implementing new techniques. And while Mitrione's never displayed any lack of confidence, he says that the changes he's made in his training and diet have him chomping at the bit to get in the octagon against Kongo.

"I promise you I'm ready to scrap," Mitrione said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "I've put in so much work. I'm ready, I'm excited, I'm not overtrained. I feel l'm ready to go. I'm going to give a wonderful performance. If Cheick wins, damn good job but I really feel I'm going to give a hell of a run for it."

Just how ready is he? Mitrione, who was a pro football player in the NFL before moving over to MMA, claims he's reached his apex, saying he is more confident for his UFC 137 fight than he's ever been for any sporting event in his life.

"I feel like I am a very, very dangerous human being right now," he said.

Mitrione said his confidence stems from his training partners and fighting shape. He's spent time with former UFC fighter Jake O'Brien, noted grappling coach Neil Melanson, and is soon heading to Florida to finish up training with former UFC light-heavyweight champion Rashad Evans and kickboxing star Tyrone Spong. He is also working with strength and conditioning guru Mike Dolce.

Now in his last weeks of camp, Mitrione is convinced he is well prepared to contend with all of Kongo's weapons. Though widely considered a kickboxer, Kongo has underrated wrestling (he takes down opponents on 65 percent of tries, according to FightMetric), and he also has powerful ground strikes.

"I feel better right now than I ever have in my life," he said. "If Cheick's lucky enough to beat me, he beat the very best product I could put out there. The very best."

Mitrione could have been distracted by the construction of his new gym, Integrated Fighting Academy, but he said he's put some of that work on hold until after the completion of the Kongo bout.

In his last fight, he knocked out Christian Morecraft in the second round of their June encounter. Kongo is a decidedly higher caliber opponent, and a win could launch Mitrione into the fringes of the division's top 10. Less than two years after his UFC debut and coming from a pro football background, that type of rise is against the odds not only for its speed but its unlikeliness.

Mitrione said he isn't thinking much past Kongo, but acknowledges that the fight is a good measuring stick to "see if I'm legit or not."

With typical Mitrione candidness, he adds, "I think I'm kind of good right now."

But Mitrione also knows there is danger lurking, citing Kongo's resiliency, experience and fight IQ as reasons to be wary. Kongo showed all those attributes in his last fight against Pat Barry, where he was in big trouble in the first round and staggered by Barry's power, only to rebound for a sudden, comeback knockout.

"I feel that I am extremely dangerous anywhere inside of an 8-sided cage," he said. "Whether it's up against the fence, on the floor, up on top of the cage, underneath the cage, I feel wherever the hell it's going to go, I'm going to be there ready to scrap.
source
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15329

Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now'   Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 1:46 pm

War Kongo
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12615

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now'   Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 1:51 pm

Mitrione is growing on me.

I heard him on Sirius yesterday and they asked him what he thought about Chael's comments about Andersons wife and if it would of pissed him off and Mitrione said "if he said that about my wife my first thought would of been...you too?" haha
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5736

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now'   Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 2:00 pm

I like Matt .... I really do.... hes.... well he's ... well NOT a very very Dangerous Human .... not right now.... not with 5 fights under his belt.

He is honest ie the fight with Kongo to see if he is "ligit" ... I think Kongo will be too much for Matt... too much experience ... too much skill... losing to Kongo wont mean he's not ligit BUT it will mean he needs more experience.
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5928

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now'   Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 3:06 pm

I think Matt has a punchers chance, he is a good wrestler for the most part; miles above Kongo in that discipline. This fight could be a 3 round war or a 20 second slug fest.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59449

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now'   Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 3:39 pm

FistK beat me to it, but yeah, he is starting to grow on me everytime I see him fight or hear an interview of him. He seems really straightforward and almost as tough as he is crazy, which is a pretty good combination from a spectator's standpoint.
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now'   Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 3:52 pm

^ this,
I love watching the Mitrione Minute on "THE MIX MARTIAL ARTS HOUR-Areil Helwani"
Back to top Go down
Berserk
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Berserk

Standard Cash : 28625

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now'   Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 4:54 pm

I think this Kongo fight will show if he is going to be a contender, or just a gate keeper..... I'm leaning more to gate keeper.
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now'   Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 5:06 pm

Berserk wrote:
I think this Kongo fight will show if he is going to be a contender, or just a gate keeper..... I'm leaning more to gate keeper.

I don't think Matt has enough experience or fights to be considered a gatekeeper, he is still learning and developing; similar to a Schaub type fighter. I don't think anyone considers Schaub a gatekeeper since losing to Big Nog, not that you said that but the two scenarios would be the same if Matt were too lose.

Unless your referring to Cheik Kongo being a gatekeepr, which I have thought he was since his fight against Travis Browne that was a draw.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5736

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now'   Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 9:33 am

I think sooner or later you have to give Kongo a shot at the title. At the very least the champ beats him soundly but in an entertaining manner at the worst ..... sigh it goes to the judges again and Kongo wins by a point.... yuk But the result is to put Kongo in a place without question.

The guy certainly has put his time in with the company.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15329

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now'   Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 9:43 am

Krieger wrote:
I think sooner or later you have to give Kongo a shot at the title. At the very least the champ beats him soundly but in an entertaining manner at the worst ..... sigh it goes to the judges again and Kongo wins by a point.... yuk But the result is to put Kongo in a place without question.

The guy certainly has put his time in with the company.

100% agree with you on all of this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now'   Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now' Empty

Back to top Go down

Matt Mitrione: 'I Feel Like I'm a Very, Very Dangerous Human Being Right Now'
Page 1 of 1