The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? Vote_lcapCould Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? Voting_barCould Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? Vote_lcapCould Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? Voting_barCould Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?

Go down 
+5
FistK
Krieger
Berserk
the commie
Chrom
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22798

Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? Empty
PostSubject: Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?   Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 9:17 am

If you have a computer and a Facebook account -- and the mere fact that you are reading this suggests that you have at least one of those things -- you might want to be sure and tune in to Saturday's UFC 136 prelims. If several trainers and MMA insiders are to be believed, that's where you could catch a glimpse of a very bright prospect in the UFC's heavyweight division.

Stipe Miocic (pronounced: steep-eh) is only 6-0 as a professional, but the former Golden Gloves boxer and college wrestling standout already has much of the fight world buzzing.

"I believe that guy could take it all the way. I really do," said trainer Trevor Wittman, who worked with Miocic during the fighter's visit to the Grudge Training Center in Denver recently. "He's the next great heavyweight coming into the UFC. His composure, his attitude, his willingness to learn and be open to things, his toughness -- it's just all there."

Marcus Marinelli, who is Miocic's coach at the Strong Style Fight Team in Independence, Ohio, said that even the videos of his MMA fights that have made the rounds on the internet recently don't necessarily do him justice.

"I think at times he's fought down to the level of his opponent, so you don't always see what I see in the gym," Marinelli said. "But that's going to change on Saturday night."

Miocic first walked through the doors of the Strong Style gym after he'd been recruited to help former Pride and UFC fighter Dan Bobish prepare for a bout. He'd been a two-sport athlete at Cleveland State University, wrestling in the 197-pound class and drawing the attention of Major League scouts as a third baseman, but it was mainly his ability to help Bobish improve his wrestling and takedown defense that caught Marinelli's eye at first, he said.

"He really helped Dan out a lot, but right away I saw his potential with his wrestling and athleticism. So little by little, he started training with us."

As Miocic remembered with a laugh, he walked in as a training partner, "and then I never left the gym."

Marinelli began slowly adding weapons to Miocic's arsenal, he said, but soon the 6'3", 240-pound fighter fell in love with boxing. The next thing Marinelli knew, Miocic was headed for the national Golden Gloves tournament in Salt Lake City.

"He made it as far as the quarterfinals, and I think he could have won the whole thing, but he just didn't have as much boxing experience as some of those guys," said Marinelli. Miocic had only been boxing for a little over a year at that point, but "still people were looking at him going, where did this kid come from?"

Now the 29-year-old is on the verge of his UFC debut against Joey Beltran at UFC 136 after less than two years as a professional. It was a bit of a surprise to him to get the call from the big show so soon in his career he said, but his coach wasn't.

"Most people, you'd want them to have more fights, but he's the exception to the rule," Marinelli said. "He's still got to come in and perform, but he's got all the tools."

Of course, it's one thing to look good when you're fighting bar bouncers and training room heroes in front of a couple thousand people in Cleveland. Taking on an experienced heavyweight on a UFC pay-per-view event isn't even in the same zip code as far as nerves go, and the dreaded "Octagon jitters" have, more than once, turned prospects into flops before our very eyes.

It's something Miocic has considered, he said, but has tried not to dwell on.

"I talked to Forrest Petz, who fought in the UFC, and he told me, 'Man, it's still just you and another guy,'" Miocic said. "That part doesn't change."

As Marinelli put it, "Nobody can say [jitters are] never a concern. Sure it's a concern. But that's what I'm here for and that's what the other coaches are here for, to ensure that he walks in there he shows the true Stipe Miocic that we know."

Source

Man I am a huge fan of this dude! His wrestling was great against the Mexicutioner lastnight, his leg kicks are fuckin lethal and he's a former Golden Gloves Champion! Talk about all the right ingredients. Im looking forward to seeing alot more of this cat!
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7907

PostSubject: Re: Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?   Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 1:08 pm

a bit early to stipulate. he gassed yesterday.
Back to top Go down
Berserk
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Berserk

Standard Cash : 28568

PostSubject: Re: Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?   Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:14 pm

Still really young, but he's got talent that's for sure! Hopefully he can get into a great camp that can bring him to the next level. I'm keeping my eye on this guy for sure!
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5679

PostSubject: Re: Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?   Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 1:29 am

Naw... he was hanging on for dear life against a gatekeeper to get to gatekeepers. Maybe he will develop something I didn't see in the fight Sat but next Great Heavyweight ? ... NOPE
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12558

PostSubject: Re: Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?   Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 8:16 am

He could develop, but I thought he looked stiff as hell...
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35140

PostSubject: Re: Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?   Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 3:33 pm

I saw glimpses of a great fighter, but this was his UFC debut, and he had never been out of the first round before.
I see a lot of opportunity for growth in him.
We will see who he faces next.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?   Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 8:04 am

On a side note does anyone wonder if this was our own Stipe making his debut??? lol

I miss that guy. He always had the inside CroCop scoop.
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5871

PostSubject: Re: Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?   Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

I could see the octagon hype potentially spooking the guy, but he had a mediocre showing; as said above gassed. I can't wait to see him against an opponent with more tools or a strong wrestler would make things really interesting.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?   Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? EmptyThu May 19, 2016 8:51 pm

Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? 14632910
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Standard Cash : 10200

PostSubject: Re: Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?   Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? EmptyFri May 20, 2016 10:25 am

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers What a Face
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?   Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? EmptyMon May 23, 2016 11:04 am

I dont like the fact that I commented twice on this thread and have no recollection of it lol
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?   Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? EmptyMon May 23, 2016 1:07 pm

FistK wrote:
I dont like the fact that I commented twice on this thread and have no recollection of it lol

Maybe too much of this.... Wink
Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? Anonym10
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?   Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? EmptyMon May 23, 2016 1:09 pm

That and you know... it's about a 5 year old thread
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?   Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? EmptyMon May 23, 2016 1:18 pm

Chrom wrote:

FistK wrote:

Maybe too much of this.... Wink
Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? Anonym10

Haha, this is awesome...
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59392

PostSubject: Re: Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?   Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? EmptyMon May 23, 2016 4:18 pm

Yeah when I saw this pop up I was a little confused, because I was reading back through it without noticing the dates and I saw members who aren't even active here anymore and saw comments about Octagon jitters and him never fighting past the 1st round before.
I had a momentary fear that I was losing my mind before I realized what happened. lol
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?   Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? EmptySun Jan 21, 2018 10:20 am

Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? Giphy
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?   Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2018 6:40 am

Ok now I am equally disturbed that I not only have no recollection of commenting on this thread the first two times, but I do not have any recollection of commenting on the fact that i dont remember years later either affraid
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?   Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2018 3:59 pm

Jeez man... you been looked into for concussions?

Shocked Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?   Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'? Empty

Back to top Go down

Could Stipe Miocic Be UFC's 'Next Great Heavyweight'?
Page 1 of 1