The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit Vote_lcapGray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit Voting_barGray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit Vote_lcapGray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit Voting_barGray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit

Go down 
+2
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
6 posters
AuthorMessage
9Teen_AT4
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
9Teen_AT4

Standard Cash : 7715

Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit Empty
PostSubject: Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit   Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 2:04 am

Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit Jon-Jones_large

On Sat., Oct. 8, Gray Maynard will look to settle a score against current Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Lightweight Champion Frankie Edgar at UFC 136 in Houston, Texas.

Apparently, training for a much anticipated "rubber match" isn't enough to keep Maynard's competitive juices flowing.

On Monday night (Oct. 3), "The Bully" appeared on everyone's favorite mixed martial arts (MMA) radio program, Pro MMA Radio, to talk with Larry Pepe about his upcoming fight, the state of the lightweight division and who he'd like to defend his title against if he comes away with the win over Edgar this time.

That wasn't all Maynard had to say.

During the interview, the topic came up regarding the upcoming title bout between current Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones and Maynard's former college roommate and wrestling teammate, Rashad Evans.

Apparently, Maynard doesn't have a lot of respect for "Bones'" ability to take a punch.

Here's what Maynard had to say when asked to make a prediction on who will win the approaching fight between Jones and Evans:
Quote :

"Rashad Evans. For sure! Cuz he's gonna hit him and Jon Jones doesn't like that.

I saw him (Jones) fight a guy...it was after the (Stephan) Bonnar fight, I think. I forgot who it was. But, every time he hit Jones, he turned his back and ran. It was really an eye opener. I was like, 'He's got skills but, he doesn't like to get hit.' "

Maynard elaborated further, stating hat he believes Evans has the advantage anywhere that the fight could end up going.

Quote :
"You've got a long guy, then you've got a more explosive, powerful guy. I'd say Rashad. You know, he can scramble, he has it all. Jon Jones, you know, he's had 'Rampage,' Bader and a couple different guys. He did a good job, but I don't think he can beat my boy, Rashad."

Hard to say that Maynard isn't biased.

Is he right? Does "Suga" really have the striking and wrestling advantage in the match-up against his future opponent and former training partner?

Saucy
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15333

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit   Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 8:21 am

I think rashad has a very solid chance at winning this fight.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5740

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit   Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 9:39 am

I think Rashad has a very solid chance of losing this fight.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit   Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 10:05 am

Heh .... no but really .... Jones is going to kick Rashad's butt. What is Maynard saying.... Rashad likes getting hit?

I he wants to test Jones' chin Rashad is going to have to get close enough to him without getting hit himself. Rashad will not mind getting hit too much because he will be unconscious on the mat.

Its interesting I was watching a Hugh Jackson interview on Jon Stewart last night and he was saying for his new Robot movie they had Sugar Ray Leonard as his boxing trainer and consultant for the movie. Talking about Leonards boxing career and the fact that he remains a lucid, coherant and smart man after his long career as a legendary boxer and champ. Why is a 36-3-1 figher in such good health at the age of 55? Because he never like to get hit either!

One of the cornorstones of any martial art is to not get hit.... other than hitting the other guy this remains one of the main points in the sport.

With Maynard there is one of two things going on.... he LIKES getting hit (which is why his face looks like it does and his thoughts are getting hard to string together in interviews) or his defence is so inneffective that he cant help getting hit.

Sigh ... I should stop now .... Cmon Gray ... honest opinion or smack talk to defend your buddy?
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10314

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit   Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 11:16 am

First....what fighter other than Forrest Griffin truly LIKES to get hit. Secondly, who knows if Jones likes getting hit...he's done a pretty damn good job of avoiding it. That's not saying he's ran away from fights...that's saying he beats up his opponents before they get a chance to beat him up.

What Gray is saying just doesn't hold much water.
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5932

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit   Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 4:02 pm

^^
Completely agree about no fighter really ever wanting to be hit in any fight;

Although one fighter who more than likely likes enjoys getting hit is Chris Leben;
I think this is undeniable as its like a switch that flips in his head to tell him to fight.

Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit   Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 4:53 pm

Im pretty sure Forrest is done with the whole "liking to be hit" thing. Leben will very quickly get to that point as well. Allowing yourself to get hit in the head more than you really need to shortens careers for most fighters.

I think a big part of Randy's longevity has to do with the fact he was a hard SOB to hit. When he retired the first time he made a point about slowing down and taking more punches especially from "those hams that Lesnar has".
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5932

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit   Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 5:24 pm

^^
Makes total sense, but for Leben right now it is almost a staple in every fight he has; with exception to subbing Akiyama. Completely agree that he won't be able to do it forever and that adjustments have to be made by fighters like that to lengthen there careers.

Back to the point of the topic, its obvious Gray makes no valid points about Jones that aren't applicable to every fighter in MMA. Every fighter is making for the most part a conscience effort to take as little damage as possible; his statements are clearly made with bias towards Jon Jones.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit   Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 7:31 pm

I laways laugh when people say a fighter "doesn't like to get hit. No shit! Who sits in the locker room before a fight and says "Man, I can't wait to go get punched in the face 135 times!"?

Gray is buddies with Rashad, so of course he has to find something to say about Jones that Rashad can exploit, and this is really all there is.

I'm sure some fighters dislike getting hit a little less than other fighters dislike getting hit, but nobody wants to get hit, Gray. Come on man.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit   Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit Empty

Back to top Go down

Gray Maynard: Jon Jones has skills, but he doesn't like to get hit
Page 1 of 1