The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 Vote_lcapMcGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 Voting_barMcGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 Vote_lcapMcGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 Voting_barMcGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)

Go down 
+4
Krieger
stock
drainbamage
Triggerman99
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59451

McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)   McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 06, 2016 9:27 pm

What's funny to me is how Nate turned the fight in the standup, or more specifically, how the hell Conor let it happen.
It was just your basic 1-2, jab-cross combo straight down the pipe that Nate landed in the 2nd that rocked Conor and was the beginning of the end. Yet McGregor didn't parry at all or even some much as lean out of the way. He just ate it. Hard.
I don't know, maybe he just underestimated Diaz's reach and didn't think Diaz could get him from that far out, but you'd think with Conor being such a sophisticated striker he should have easily evaded that.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12617

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)   McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 8:24 am

I actually thought Conor's striking looked pretty damn good he just gassed like a jackass.

Please do not think I am making excuses, because I have no reason to as I really like both guys. Just my observation, but I think the jump in weight effected him in a way he was not expecting. It wasn't reach or strength it was cardio. Throwing nothing but power shots and spin kicks in the first round completely gassed him. He normally doesnt have the best defense anyways, because he keeps his hands at his sides, but by the time the second round rolled around I think he had nothing left to defend with anyways.

He should take this fight as a big time lesson learned if he ever moves up again. I think people saying that Nate outboxed him (nobody here but i have heard it a few times) are over simplifying it, because Conor really was getting the better of Nate in round one on full energy and a few times I thought he had Nate shook, but Nate weathered it and then fucked him up.
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12617

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)   McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 8:25 am

That being said a $50 Meisha and Nate parlay = $650 for me! cheers
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35199

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)   McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 8:49 am

I totally agree with FiskK.
Conor knocks Nate out with better cardio.
He came out half speed in the 2nd round.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)   McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 11:01 am

I rewatched the fight again last night and Conor was having a little more success than I initially thought, but not to the point where I believe he would've had any more success with better cardio or anything.
He was landing quite a bit on Diaz, but other than a handful of solid shots (including the one that cut him), he wasn't really able to connect cleanly because Diaz was able to lean and duck away enough to avoid solid contact. I think in that regard, you can argue that Diaz was the superior boxer, given that head movement, staying out of range, and effectively absorbing punches are all part of boxing technique, not just who's punching more often and harder.
Conor did gas out in the 2nd, but it's not like it was something out of his control like a hard weight cut or a short training camp. He by all rights was probably in better cardio shape coming into this fight than he has been in a long time, given that he wasn't required to cut a single pound. He gassed out from thinking he could finish Diaz inside of one round and going for broke. By Diaz absorbing all of those shots and making Conor miss on others, he took McGregor's cardio away. I think you gotta credit Diaz for that, not excuse McGregor.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5738

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)   McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 11:06 am

Well that fight certainly answers the welterweight question. I suspect Dana is breathing a bit of a sigh of relief cause it does take Connor down a notch. Now he's just a one weight class champ with a bit of the mystique toned down.

Nate did well, gotta give him props, I thought Connor would have lit him up more but just couldnt do it.

Nice to see the respect from both guys at the end of the fight.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)   McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 11:43 am

Has there been any confirmation from Dana or McGregor's camp on where his next fight will be?
I'll assume he will be expected to defend his FW title next, but no idea when Edgar will be ready.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)   McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 12:20 pm

McGregor said he plans to go back to FW, and can see reasoning to fight either Aldo or Edgar.
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Standard Cash : 10259

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)   McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 7:49 pm

conor thought he was finishing nate in the first. he opened up and said I threw everything I had at him and he ate all of my shots and kept coming forward.

nate was fighting at a slow pace in the first as he said he was scared because it was a 5 round fight and he didn't want to gas.

the first round was very even striking but diaz showed he has superior head movement and a much better jab . conors overhand left is the best that I ever saw anyone throw. I agree conor needs to protect himself better in exchanges.

maybe conor doesn't have any cardio. we all said in another post that there are questions that need to be answered and a lot of them were answered in that fight. conor needs wrestling, bjj, boxing defense, strength and conditioning coach. besides max Holloway conor has finished every fight in the 1st round I believe maybe 1 or 2 in the 2nd round. so we don't know what to expect with his cardio. conor also never been hit that much so we had no idea how he would react to that. he seems very chinny

joe rogan was praising conor right before the fight stating that every fighter should follow conor in fighting in their true weight without a cut.. terrible advice imo.

conor will be in a world of hurt in the lw division because of all the grind hard wrestlers with solid chins. his best bet is to keep it at fw and fight guys much smaller and hope that he puts them away early.

does this loss signify the end of the conor hype?
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)   McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 8:17 am

To be fair, his cardio could improve.
Although, he looked to have put on 25 pounds of muscle in a short period of time. Nobody's cardio can catch up that quickly.

I just wonder if he easily defends his title against Edgar, if he will have as much lobbying power for RDA?
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)   McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 10:52 am

McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 Conor-mcgregor-weigh-in-comparison
McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 Conor-mcgregor-weigh-in-comparison
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)   McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 10:57 am

he didn't put on 25 pounds of muscle. he walks around at 165 if he put on anything it was a minimal amount of it.
edgar will beat conor. edgar has a solid chin, excellent cardio, supreme wrestling, blackbelt bjj, and has excellent movement. style wise this is probably the worst fight for conor at 145.

conor is the fw version of rumble Johnson.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)   McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 11:53 am

The biggest reason Edgar will win is because he's a safe fighter that enjoys going the distance.
I'd say Edgar has a 60/40 chance of beating Conor, but a 5/95 chance of finishing him.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)   McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Yeah Edgar should learn from the McGregor/Aldo fight and not try to go out there and get into a firefight with Conor.
Edgar is the model of MMA efficiency, and efficiency is exactly what he will need to wear Conor down and grind him out.
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)   McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 11:15 am

while I agree with you guys I think after seeing the fact that conor is chinny I think edgar goes in and tries to make a big statement. however, edgar is known to get wobbled in most of his fights and it scares me that in this fight the wobble might be a faceplant into the canvas.. with that being said I do think frankie beats conor and you will see him really gunning for the finish so he could shove it up the ufcs ass
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5738

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)   McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 12:59 pm

Meh I don't know, a fight with Edgar will be interesting but the trouble he had with Henderson and Meynard gives me pause for thought. I like Edgar but too many tough fights severe back, rib, and groin injuries really indicate trouble with his core I don't know he can bring it against a dynamic fighter. He seems to like the guys that don't move too much these days.

But .... "all will be settled in the ring".
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)   McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 10:39 am

ask mendes and swanson that same question lol

I think frankie is at the absolute top of his game and he has looked better in his last 4 fights than he ever has.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)   McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

McGregor and Diaz scuffle at UFC 196 press conference (video)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2