The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! Vote_lcapHoly shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! Voting_barHoly shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! Vote_lcapHoly shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! Voting_barHoly shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!

Go down 
+7
Gecko
Krieger
Triggerman99
DEP
the commie
Chrom
FistK
11 posters
AuthorMessage
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12610

Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! Empty
PostSubject: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Shocked
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12610

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:01 pm

Along with Wagner Prado, Mike Russow, Jacob Volkmann, Vladimir Matyushenko, Che Mills, Jay Hieron, Terry Etim, Paul Sass, Jorge Santiago, Mike Stumpf, Simeon Thoresen, C.J. Keith, Motonobu Tezuka, Josh Grispi and Ulysses Gomez.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22850

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:17 pm

Holy shit! I only knew about Volkman.... thats a lengthy list of guys going to Bellator there....
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

Standard Cash : 7959

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 3:05 pm

what the fucking fuck???!!!! that is the most ridiculous decision ever. they must really hate fitch.
to release a top 10 or even top 5 fighter in the world? just stupid.
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9483

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 4:29 pm

Last time they cut all of AKA because Fitch was playing contract hardball, makes you wonder if he was the victim of someone elses negotiating tactics.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59444

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 5:53 pm

Either way, I'm not all that upset to see him go.

In a way, he's actually bad for the division. I'm not saying he is doing so willfully or is even aware of it, but a guy who takes out up-and-coming contenders and makes them look like amateurs while simultaneously employing an insanely boring technique that makes fans want to change the channel is a bad recipe any way you look at it.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5731

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 10:56 pm

Yeah I heard he got a new job....

Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! Horse-saddle-blanket-2

Thats right .... he's a horse blanket.....

Heh ... sometimes I LOVE myself too much.... affraid
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15324

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 7:55 am

Face Palm
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22850

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 8:56 am

lol!
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15324

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 3:31 pm

I am actually okay about cutting fitch. lets face it he isnt that exciting to watch. the last time he actually finished a fighter was about 6 years ago and he would have to go on a 6-7 fight win streak before the UFC would even mention his name again for a title shot and even then i highly doubt he would be there first pick to go to. He just doesnt sell with his style and i think the UFC are getting a little pissed with these guys who fighting just enough to win instead of going for the finish.

I also wouldnt be surprised if this was Dana and Zuffas way of getting under greg jacksons skin a little bit. Lets face it most of jacksons style he teaches his fighters is to win with out taking any damage or very limited and not taking any chances on the finish. We all know Dana and greg havent been seeing eye to eye lately so who knows?

Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35192

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 3:36 pm

I will never, ever complain about the UFC cutting a boring fighter..... or notorious non-finishers (however you want to define it).

Great fighters or not. Let them all bore people to death in Belator.
Their slogan could be, "We have the best fighters. Just try to stay awake while watching them fight."
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9483

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Agree with the common sentiment. Fitch's most exciting fight IMO was being used as a heavybag for GSP for 25min.
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3783

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 7:58 pm

I liked Fitch's style and don't think someone should get fired unless they lose at least twice in a row.

That being said it was pretty funny when Fitch was complaining during the fight with Maia.
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:11 pm

what?! cut him because he is "boring", doesnt finish fights? this is not WWE, he is a top fighter and, hence, should be in the top promotion.
MMA started as a way to see which style was more effecting in a close to real hand to hand combat. look at dan severn, holy shit, that was like watching your nails grow, but he was fucking badass.
if great control, excellent submission defense and iron will are the things that win then so be it. i understand and enjoy the excitement in the sport but i also enjoy the variety and the skill. fitch has tons of skill.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:30 pm

There were also no weight classes back in the day and they let a guy fight with one boxing glove on. Things have a way of changing.

I don't think Fitch got cut for being a boring fighter. That was likely part of it, but there was also a bunch of other factors (won't fight his friends, complained about his bosses all the time, tried to hold out and refuse to fight if it wasn't for a title) over his career in the UFC that also likely contributed to this.
Back to top Go down
Berserk
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Berserk

Standard Cash : 28620

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 11:26 pm

Goodbye Jon, you won't be missed.... well at least by me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 10:08 am

the commie wrote:
what?! cut him because he is "boring", doesnt finish fights? this is not WWE, he is a top fighter and, hence, should be in the top promotion.
MMA started as a way to see which style was more effecting in a close to real hand to hand combat. look at dan severn, holy shit, that was like watching your nails grow, but he was fucking badass.
if great control, excellent submission defense and iron will are the things that win then so be it. i understand and enjoy the excitement in the sport but i also enjoy the variety and the skill. fitch has tons of skill.

I guess that's a matter of opinion.
I just don't really call it a "fight" when the loser has taken no damage after 15 minutes.
Probably just me, but unless the guy actually looks like he got the shit kicked out of him, I don't give a whole lot of credit to a decision win.
Back to top Go down
the commie
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
the commie

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 5:20 pm

i agree that the main reason for his firing is probably dana's disdain for him.
yes it is a matter of opinion, you guys are entitled to your wrong ones sometimes. Smile
it is a competition of skill. if someone is trying to kick my ass and i control him and wait for the opportune moment to finish him, or 'til the cops show up, i win. fighting is an assessment of risk. fitch is trying to take the route that is most comfortable for him, with the least risk of a loss. so do many other fighters. GSP, who i love, even anderson, who tries to stay only within his strengths.
i do love watching a brawl but thats not fighting. and brawling lead to dead brain cells, a la wandy, big nog, liddel etc. (love the guys, but would not in a million years follow in their footsteps)
also, i have a feeling that if ufc starts pushing only for excitement. for flash, for "blood", it will come back to bite them in the ass. the overall skill will diminish.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5731

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 6:12 pm

Other than contracted fights what are the benefits of being under contract to the UFC.
Training pay? Base salary? Ring Girls?

Anyone know?
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 16389

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 7:25 pm

i think the ufc helps with medical even durring training and its the best place to increas your own stock....probably more doors open to you being a zuffa employee.....
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 16389

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 7:40 pm

i just read that fitch was cut because he was really expencive and on a downward trend
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 2:53 am

the commie wrote:
if someone is trying to kick my ass and i control him and wait for the opportune moment to finish him, or 'til the cops show up, i win. fighting is an assessment of risk. fitch is trying to take the route that is most comfortable for him, with the least risk of a loss. so do many other fighters. GSP, who i love, even anderson, who tries to stay only within his strengths.
See, this is where we disagree.
If you spend the entire fight "waiting for the opportune moment" or waiting "til the cops show up", you don't win. You simply prevent the other guy from winning. That's not a win for you; that's a draw. If you don't do shit and neither does he, then nobody wins.

By your standards, Fitch has fought to a draw in nearly every single fight, and draws don't get you new contracts or fan interest.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 1:52 pm

Krieger wrote:
Other than contracted fights what are the benefits of being under contract to the UFC.
Training pay? Base salary? Ring Girls?

Anyone know?

There are a ton of benefits including higher base pay, medical benefits, and more sponsorship opportunities since the UFC event gets a bazillion more impressions than any other promotion out there.
Not to mention, a lot of guys get comp'd on a lot of their training just for having a UFC win on their resume. And/or have a better chance of starting a successful gym themself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!   Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC! Empty

Back to top Go down

Holy shit just heard Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC!
Page 1 of 1