The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in Vote_lcapWeidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in Voting_barWeidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in Vote_lcapWeidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in Voting_barWeidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59442

Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in Empty
PostSubject: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 2:41 pm

Quote :
A change has been made to a potential No. 1 contender’s bout at UFC 155 as Chris Weidman has been forced off the show with an undisclosed injury.

Stepping into replace him with be his teammate Costa Philippou, who now faces Tim Boetsch at UFC 155 in December.

Sources close to the contest confirmed the new bout and injury to MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday with verbal agreements in place for the fight.

Weidman’s withdraw from the fight comes after a very tumultuous past few weeks for the New Yorker after his house was destroyed in the melee of Hurricane Sandy. The upheaval obviously didn’t help Weidman’s preparation for the fight, and now he’ll be forced to the sidelines for some time off to recover.

In his place, Weidman’s teammate Costa Philippou will get the chance to face Tim Boetsch at UFC 155 instead.

Philippou was scheduled to fight at last weekend’s UFC 154 card in Montreal, but opponent Nick Ring came down with the flu just hours before the scheduled bout and was deemed unable to perform

http://www.mmaweekly.com/chris-weidman-out-costa-philippou-steps-in-to-face-tim-boetsch-at-ufc-155

Evil or Very Mad
Lame.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10303

Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Weidman is ducking Boetsch

Smile

Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22848

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 2:56 pm

FUckin WEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 3:11 pm

samger2 wrote:

Smile

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but I would not be surprised if that is actually true.

Think about it:
Weidman has been saying ever since the Munoz fight that he wants to fight Silva and only Silva; nobody else.
So then Dana eventually says "You're definitely not getting Silva right now, so you're taking another fight, whether you like it or not".
So he gets penciled in to fight Boetsch, but still takes every opportunity to say that he should be fighting Silva.

So how do you avoid having to fight someone you don't want to fight, as well as the risk of losing your stature in the title hunt?
A-Ha! An injury in training that kind of isn't that bad at all but can be played-up to the point where you can pull out of the fight altogether!

Quote :
Unfortunately in the midst of getting ready for his bout, Weidman suffered a shoulder injury while drilling his wrestling with the team in Arizona.

“Chris was wrestling and it just happened, his shoulder popped,” Martin told MMAWeekly.com. “He had an MRI on Tuesday and he’s flying home to New York as we speak while we wait for the orthopedic surgeon to make a final diagnosis.

We just felt it was bad enough that there was no way Chris could fight at UFC 155, and to be fair to the UFC and Tim Boetsch, we didn’t want to delay the inevitable so we had to make the call to pull out of the fight.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/chris-weidman-injures-shoulder-ahead-of-ufc-155-teammates-and-sponsors-stepped-up

Brilliant!!

Face Palm Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15322

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 3:27 pm

samger2 wrote:

Smile

Damn!!!! you beat me to the punch (no pun intended) he is also afraid if he wins he might have to fight Bisping too!!!! yeah thats right !!!! Troll
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15322

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 3:29 pm

So i guess if bisping beats vitor now we can pretty much call him the number one contender...right?
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 3:30 pm

haha...I was joking, but what Trigger said makes perfect sense...so...I was joking, but maybe I wasn't.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 6:17 pm

Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in 300px-10
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 2:20 am

I didnt cast the lines.......

All I did was point to the bait that was already there!!

cheers
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12608

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 9:33 am

I doubt HIGHLY that Weidman is turning down a fight with anyone. This is his only source of income and he and his wife aren't exactly rolling in the dough, especially after their house just got trashed.

My guess is that they are pretty devastated they will be losing this paycheck.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 3:09 pm

OK, then the Boetsch fight can still be on the table, and they can fight at a later date. But somehow I don't feel that's going to be Weidman's stance when this injury is healed. I'm guessing it's going to be more along the lines of "Well now that Silva and I both haven't fought in a little while, I should get a title shot against him for my next fight. If I don't, then he's ducking me."
Lame.
Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 6:28 am

Well don't roll your eyes and call him lame until he actually does it at least, haha.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 11:16 am

Agreed^
But that won't happen, Trigger has been dead set against Weidman ever since he found out I was a fan.

Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in 1625187496
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 12:29 pm

lol
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 4:02 pm

FistK wrote:
Well don't roll your eyes and call him lame until he actually does it at least, haha.
Well I only say it's lame because if (when) it does happen, everyone is going to be right there saying he's 100% justified. The problem I have is that when Silva was injured or didn't want to take a fight in the immediate future, everyone said he's ducking this guy or that guy, but when Weidman has clearly expressed his opposition to fighting anybody other than Silva, then bows of a scheduled fight with somebody other that Silva, I'm supposed to just accept it without question and not even fathom the idea that he has an agenda.
What's lame is the double-standard.

And Chrom, it's not the fact that you're a fan of Weidman that makes me dislike him; you happen to be a hater of Silva, and Weidman is just the newest fad to emerge who is supposedly going to dethrown Silva that you have latched onto.
I dislike him because he has a sense of entitlement. That's all.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 5:46 pm

Trigger... my friend, you put too much stock in assumptions.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 7:31 pm

Probably, but I'm usually right about them. Wink
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 11:23 am

I dunno, I still haven't drank the weidman cool-aid. I don't think he stands a chance agains Silva, I think the fight would be laughable at best.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 2:32 pm

samger2 wrote:
I dunno, I still haven't drank the weidman cool-aid. I don't think he stands a chance agains Silva, I think the fight would be laughable at best.
Yeah that's my whole problem with Weidman (meaning the collective Weidman, which includes the hype, the fans demanding a title shot, and the manifestation of the idea that Silva is ducking). He hasn't really done anything overly impressive to lead me to believe that he is destined to dethrown Silva. I mean, he clobbered Munoz with a well-timed elbow that Munoz ducked into, but what else has he really done to make everyone believe that he is going to present any kind of real problems for the #1 P4P, dominant, longest reigning MW champion in history who has won in every way possible while both overcoming extreme adversity and making opponents look stupid in fights?

I'm not saying the dude can't fight a lick, but come on....
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 8:41 am

samger2 wrote:

I dont think it has anything to do with drinking weidman koolaid or thinking he's the next coming, it's more about his style.

Hell there is a chance that anyone who fights Silva would be laughable, but the intriguing thing about Weidman is that he seems to possess the skillset that would give Silva problems.
Wrestles like Chael, but is stronger, has a little better standup, but devastating power and a great ground game which lets face it chael doesnt posses. Chael can control you on the ground, but he doesnt do much damage. Weidman not only has power, but also very good BJJ.

You might be right Silva can tool anybody, but imo if someone ever beats him it will be someone who has Weidman's skillset if it isnt Weidman.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Whoa....Weidman has "devastating" power? Really?!

I hope your not baseing that assesment on the elbow that Munoz ran into to practically KO himself. That was a simple matter of Munoz's face being in the right place at the right time, not a demonstration of devastating power by Weidman.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in   Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in Empty

Back to top Go down

Weidman out of UFC 155 fight against Tim Boetsch with shoulder injury; Costa Phillipou steps in
Page 1 of 1