The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013 Vote_lcapJon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013 Voting_barJon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013 Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013 Vote_lcapJon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013 Voting_barJon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013 Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22848

Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013   Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Quote :
Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013 390x270xJonJones1_crop_650x4401.jpg.speedilic.ic.iM7Uuv9LVw

By Jamie McAllister
Jon Jones comments to FUEL TV.

The UFC Light-Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones is set to defend his title against former PRIDE and Strikeforce champion Dan Henderson
at UFC 151. Jones admits his focus is currently on defending his title
against Henderson however he also states that he could be making the
move to Heavyweight as soon as 2013.

“I’ve put thought into it and, like I said, not to be cliché, but
Dan Henderson is my main priority and focus, but I have a lot of years
left in fighting. Coming up to heavyweight is something I’d like to do
maybe in the next two or three years,”

“2013 or 2014; it would be cool.”

At UFC on Fox: Shogun vs. Vera UFC President Dana White announced
that whoever wins in the most impressive fashion will receive the next
title shot. Lyoto Machida stepped up and claimed the shot after
dispatching Ryan Bader in the second round. Jones has since stated he doesn’t want the Machida rematch which also leads us to believe he could be very close to making the move.
http://www.bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/08/20/jon-jones-states-he-could-be-making-the-move-to-heavyweight-as-soon-as-2013-or-2014-ufc-news-34744.html
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59442

Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013   Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 2:02 pm

So when he does move up, is everyone going to say he did so because he is ducking whoever the top contender is at that time, or are they going to complain that Anderson Silva hasn't moved up in weight yet, or both?

lol!
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15322

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013   Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 2:30 pm

Triggerman99 wrote:
So when he does move up, is everyone going to say he did so because he is ducking whoever the top contender is at that time, or are they going to complain that Anderson Silva hasn't moved up in weight yet, or both?

lol!

I am actually curious to see how he holds up against guys bigger than him. He might be a great HW. I always felt part of jones ability steams from his size alone. Dont get me wrong the kid has mad skills but i think his size helps a lot with his style. plus we saw how he almost got dropped by machida, now imagine getting hit by JDS or Overreem or carwin. I just dont know if this kid can take those shots but there is only one way to find out. I still feel he is gonna be small for HW, but then again look at how big Randy was for HW and he had some good fights and 3 titles to show for it.

But Trigg, you do you know that more than likely Chael is gonna start saying he is going up to HW to avoid fighting him and alot MMA fans are going to jump on board. I wouldnt think that for a second cause it doesnt make sense. Personally i think Machida, henderson, rua alone are a bigger threat to jones than sonnen is.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013   Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 2:35 pm

HE IS DUCKING THE WHOLE DAMN WEIGHT CLASS OBVIOUSLY!! NOT JUST ONE GUY, ALL OF THEM!

[X] Sarcasm
[ ] Serious
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013   Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 3:09 pm

^^^
lol!

But honestly, changing weight classes can be a very tricky maneuver when it comes to perception from the public eye. All kinds of questions can arise when a fighter decides to make the change.

I personally don't like the idea of a fighter changing weight classes when the reason is that they have cleaned out the division. I would much prefer that they continue to fight in their current weight class and keep winning until someone can defeat them, or they eventually retire.
I really don't think a fighter should go up in weight just because the public is pressuring him to do so (not saying that's the case here with Jones, but it certainly is possible). If the guy can dominate his weight class, let him! He's earned it.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013   Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 3:17 pm

But dominating a weight class and moving up makes sense to me. Moving down... not so much. I wonder if part of his move might be he is filling out more and the cut is getting harder on him.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013   Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 3:47 pm

Yeah I'm not saying I'm right. Just that its my personal feeling on the whole thing.

It could be that he's getting too big, but wouldn't he already be filled out by now? I know he's young, but he's 25. Aren't you pretty much done growing by 25? I don't know.

Oh, and gecko;

Absolutely. 100% positive Chael would fly that flag, and I'm sure there would be an army behind him saying the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5729

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013   Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 6:19 pm

I'd like to see him defend a few times in LHW. Even if he cleans out the division give a couple of guys down the ladder a shot. I always like a good news reel KO.

Once he does make the move it would be kinda cool seeing Jones looking for a couple of weight class titles at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013   Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013 Empty

Back to top Go down

Jon Jones States He Could Be Making The Move To Heavyweight As Soon As 2013
Page 1 of 1