The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon Vote_lcapPenn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon Voting_barPenn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon Vote_lcapPenn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon Voting_barPenn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon

Go down 
+2
Triggerman99
Chrom
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22860

Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon Empty
PostSubject: Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon   Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon EmptyTue May 08, 2012 12:16 pm

Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon Bj-ang10
Quote :
BJ Penn has been on the fence lately about returning to the UFC and has most recently expressed interest in joining the 170 pound weight division if he was to return at all.

Here, in an interview with The MMA Hour, and brought to us by MMAmania.com, Penn talks about his discussions with Dana White on possibly moving to Strikeforce to fight lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez for the title in a fight that Penn claims, just wouldn’t make sense. Whether or not Penn will return is still up for debate, however, Penn has always been a fierce competitor who loves a good fight and would be a challenge for anyone in the UFC welterweight division.

These days, in a stacked welterweight division, it would be a fight fans nirvana to see a legend like Penn enter the Octagon to compete with the top welterweights and make another run for the coveted welterweight title.

“It was right after the Nick Diaz fight. He offered me a fight against Gilbert Melendez in Strikeforce. We sat down, we thought about it for a little while and we fought back and forth and it was kind of one of those things where I guess at the end of the day we just thought about it a thousand different ways and we were like, is it downgrading yourself fighting in Strikeforce and if you win the Strikeforce title people are going to say you did it because you couldn’t win the UFC title? We just kind of thought about it a thousand different ways and at the end of the day it just didn’t make sense to us.”

“I’m not really excited to jump right into a training camp right now. Me and Dana sat down and Dana said, “I see a lot of stuff and you saying you don’t want to fight anymore.” Me and him just kind of talked and just did a bunch of kind of hypothetical back-and-forth and that was it. I know Dana wants me to fight again a when I go to a lot of different places, I think subconsciously maybe sometimes, fighters, we only seize to fight to regain energy to fight again. I do get pumped up about it when I go to different places and people say, “Come on you got to fight again, you gotta fight again.” I don’t know, I’m enjoying training right now and you never know what the future holds. I mean if Dana put something together and says, “Hey, you want to do this?” You never know what could happen. Being a competitor, you always have that itch. What it is, is that it’s tough. The training camps are tough going and through that and going through the different things and all the different personalities you gotta deal with over time. I mean, I still look at some of the guys up there and, of course, being a competitor I think to myself, “I can beat that guy or I can do well with that guy.” It’s just a tough question and I can’t give any solid question (answer) either way right now.”
source
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59454

PostSubject: Re: Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon   Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon EmptyTue May 08, 2012 2:32 pm

It's funny cuz I was just thinking that if Melendez came to the UFC, a great first fight for him would be BJ Penn. Spooky......
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5741

PostSubject: Re: Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon   Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon EmptyTue May 08, 2012 8:16 pm

Heh ... Baby J's last run at the WW title...
Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon Penn_face_large
Back to top Go down
butterknifeninja
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
butterknifeninja

Standard Cash : 4017

PostSubject: Re: Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon   Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon EmptyWed May 09, 2012 8:49 am

Yea why in the hell would he go to WW? The 170ers are too big for him, Fitch and Diaz proved that - he did well in the first round against them both but they wore him down too quickly. Now that Frankie isn't atop the 155 division he should go back there, it's his best weight class for sure.
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15334

PostSubject: Re: Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon   Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon EmptyWed May 09, 2012 11:24 am

butterknifeninja wrote:
Yea why in the hell would he go to WW? The 170ers are too big for him, Fitch and Diaz proved that - he did well in the first round against them both but they wore him down too quickly. Now that Frankie isn't atop the 155 division he should go back there, it's his best weight class for sure.

100% cheers
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12620

PostSubject: Re: Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon   Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon EmptyTue May 15, 2012 7:53 am

butterknifeninja wrote:

Correct Answer - Because he's lazy.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5741

PostSubject: Re: Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon   Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon EmptyTue May 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Might as well roid up and go HW like Diesel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon   Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon Empty

Back to top Go down

Penn Discusses Melendez Fight Offer; Return to Octagon
Page 1 of 1