The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight Vote_lcapJoe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight Voting_barJoe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight Vote_lcapJoe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight Voting_barJoe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight

Go down 
+3
lambhimself
9Teen_AT4
butterknifeninja
7 posters
AuthorMessage
butterknifeninja
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
butterknifeninja

Standard Cash : 4016

Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight Empty
PostSubject: Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight   Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 12:48 pm

Quote :
“[Yamasaki is] a great guy, and I’m always happy to see him. When I step into the octagon however, I represent the people watching at home that might have obvious questions, and when something is controversial I’m forced to confront it honestly because that’s what I would want to hear from a person in my position if I was a fan watching it at home.

It was obviously a controversial call, and I’m sure some of you agree with it, but I certainly think it’s also possible to argue that it was a bad call. That was my perspective, so I had to express it. I’m not a perfect person, and I fuck up all the time. It’s a part of life.

Great referees have made awful mistakes. Even the consensus nominee for the greatest referee of all time, my personal friend the great Big John McCarthy has made mistakes.

Remember when Bustamante had to tap out Matt Lindland twice?

Calling fight as a referee is hard as FUCK. If I was a referee Dana would probably hate me more than he hates Mazagatti. I wouldn’t want that job! That’s a shit load of pressure.

I think Mario Yamasaki is one of the best in the world at refereeing MMA. No doubt about it.

He’s got great insight to the sport, he’s a lifelong martial artist, and he’s a really smart guy.

What I was acting from, is that I saw an incredible young talent get denied a KO victory for a questionable call. When I entered into the Octagon and was told of the official ruling that Silva was going to be disqualified for illegal blows to the back of the head everyone that I was around who heard the news opened their mouths in shock. Everyone said, “what?”

The people in the truck couldn’t believe it. I had to read it back to them because I thought it was a mistake, and when I leaned over to explain it to Goldie he couldn’t believe it either.

I had to ask Mario about it. I didn’t know how he was going to respond, but I had to ask him.

Erick Silva is a very promising fighter and I felt like I had a responsibility to address the issue.

No disrespect intended.”

BJPenn.com
Back to top Go down
9Teen_AT4
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
9Teen_AT4

Standard Cash : 7715

PostSubject: Re: Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight   Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 1:32 pm

Yeh being a referee ... man that job really suxz! Too much pressure... You can have a great track record for 15 years and one f'k up and people will remember that...

Mario Yamasaki made an honest mistake, under the pressure in the heat of the moment. He had to make a call and he did .... He's still one of the better refs regardless.
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

Standard Cash : 5932

PostSubject: Re: Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight   Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 3:43 pm

I think its bullshit when anyone criticizes officials, especially live after something controversial has happened; who the fuck are you to criticize.

Toughest job other than being the fighter, and its not an easy job; as Mario said he had to make a decision in a split second. Although it may appear that it may have not been a good decision, he obviously seen something to make him make that decision.

Rogan owes Mario an apology imo, although he'll never get it from Joe; I understand Joe was just doing his job and representing the fans interest. But this is a major instance of wrong place and bad time to bring it up.

Then again, the call totally worked out in my favor.
(not happy to take it, but a wins a win.)
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12619

PostSubject: Re: Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight   Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 8:41 am

I am always much more forgiving of a referee for missing a call than inserting themselves where they shouldn't be or calling something that actually didnt happen. This one definitely leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Unneeded imo...
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

PostSubject: Re: Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight   Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 1:49 pm

I just want to clarify that I am not defending the call itself as I agree it was not a good call; I am defending the referee in his role as a mediator and protector of the fighters in the ring.

In super slow mo while sitting on our couches we see one legitimate punch to the back of the head; I have seen many more instances with more direct blows to the back of the head in the past than this one had; however in the full speed of the fight while trying to get a good angle while getting positioned to stop the fight he may have thought he seen more.

Criticizing referees is a chicken shit move by whatever the reason is, until someone has been there in a similar position they have no right to criticize.

So it turns out that it was not a great call, but it was made in a split second; it is what it is.

Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15333

PostSubject: Re: Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight   Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 4:07 pm

lambhimself wrote:
I just want to clarify that I am not defending the call itself as I agree it was not a good call; I am defending the referee in his role as a mediator and protector of the fighters in the ring.

In super slow mo while sitting on our couches we see one legitimate punch to the back of the head; I have seen many more instances with more direct blows to the back of the head in the past than this one had; however in the full speed of the fight while trying to get a good angle while getting positioned to stop the fight he may have thought he seen more.

Criticizing referees is a chicken shit move by whatever the reason is, until someone has been there in a similar position they have no right to criticize.

So it turns out that it was not a great call, but it was made in a split second; it is what it is.

100% agree with all of that...well said
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22859

PostSubject: Re: Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight   Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 5:13 pm

This is why we need instant replay imo. In cases like this where it can be immediately proven to be a bad call the Ref should be able to view the replay and make his call... just like the NFL.
Back to top Go down
norcalmatt
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter

Standard Cash : 16398

PostSubject: Re: Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight   Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 5:41 pm

good stopage....wrong winner

instant replay could be good and bad.....good in a case like this but bad considering how many fighters believe the fight was stopped early. in a stoppage, instant replay is almost underminding a refs call but in a dq situation you can see if its the right call.....
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12619

PostSubject: Re: Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight   Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 10:28 am

lambhimself wrote:

I am always on the side of the ref as well, but I think im qualified enough as a fan to not be called chicken shit for questioning a call. Like I said I have no problem for a ref missing something or even stopping a fight too soon, because they are being cautious in the name of fighter safety. But to completely insert yourself and call something that actually didnt happen is where it gets tough to swallow for me.
Back to top Go down
lambhimself
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
lambhimself

PostSubject: Re: Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight   Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 12:07 pm

FistK wrote:
lambhimself wrote:

I am always on the side of the ref as well, but I think im qualified enough as a fan to not be called chicken shit for questioning a call. Like I said I have no problem for a ref missing something or even stopping a fight too soon, because they are being cautious in the name of fighter safety. But to completely insert yourself and call something that actually didnt happen is where it gets tough to swallow for me.

"Questioning a Call" and "Criticizing a Referee" are two different things, Joe Rogan in the middle of the octagon saying it was a bad call and it wasn't right is ok. I was saying it is chicken shit for someone to criticize the referee's job whether it was a bad job or call or whatever, until they have been in that same position.

No one is a chicken shit for questioning any call, but to criticize it openly when you have never been there yourself is gutless.

Also it did happen, 1 out of what 5 blows.
and as I said above, in the heat of the battle at full speed, while trying to get a good view and position himself to stop the fight; it probably looked lie a few more. Which in his professional opinion was enough to DQ Silva.

I apologize if I offended you particularly FistK, I do not consider many members of this forum as the typical fan; and have great respect for most of the peoples opinions with regards to judging these types of instances. The comment I made was a more generalized comment directed to the casual fan who typically don't think before speaking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight   Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight Empty

Back to top Go down

Joe Rogan Explains Why He Questioned Mario Yamasaki Post-Fight
Page 1 of 1