The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Mayweather - Ortiz Vote_lcapMayweather - Ortiz Voting_barMayweather - Ortiz Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Mayweather - Ortiz Vote_lcapMayweather - Ortiz Voting_barMayweather - Ortiz Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Mayweather - Ortiz

Go down 
+9
Krieger
DEP
Snake Five
seanb3490
Zacchaeus
Billytk
Chrom
butterknifeninja
ChokingVictim
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ChokingVictim
Sparring Partner
Sparring Partner
ChokingVictim

Standard Cash : 5714

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 8:23 am

Anyone else happen to see what went down in this? Pretty discussion worthy and I think another huge black eye for boxing. I feel bad if anyone shelled out 60 bucks for that crap.
Back to top Go down
butterknifeninja
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
butterknifeninja

Standard Cash : 4010

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 9:10 am

I heard a bit about it. Was there a break that Mayweather got a free shot out of that won him the fight?
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22853

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 9:24 am

I chose not to watch it and went to bed instead. Mayweather won I take it?
Back to top Go down
Billytk
Sparring Partner
Sparring Partner
Billytk

Standard Cash : 4702

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:05 am

I read about it, and I'm OK with it based on the fact that I don't care about boxing that much lol but mostly because Mayweather had won every round leading up to the end, Ortiz had Just intentionally thrown a illegal headbutt and the ref had signaled for the fight to resume so Mayweather didn't do anything wrong as far as I can see.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:33 am

OH WOW!~ THAT WAS SOME BULLSHIT!!! I hated Mayweather before this and even more after that. Its like the Gamburyan "touch gloves as I kick ya" shit.
Back to top Go down
Zacchaeus
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Zacchaeus

Standard Cash : 5401

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:38 am

There was a better video of what went down last night, but it must have been taken down. It was a real time video and not the replay, but this is exactly how it happened. Ortiz has Mayweather backed up in the corner, going to town, but not landing well. He gets crazy and throws a blatant headbutt at Mayweather. Time is called and the deduct a point from Ortiz. During the time he becomes regretful and apologizes to Mayweather as he is being led around by the ref deducting the point. The fight is restarted as Ortiz is trying to apologize to Mayweather personally and then you can see what happens.

Back to top Go down
Zacchaeus
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Zacchaeus

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:39 am

There ya go, much better vid Chrom
Back to top Go down
ChokingVictim
Sparring Partner
Sparring Partner
ChokingVictim

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:41 am

ITs amazing to me how when FLoyd fights the rules and etiquette of the sport change. Alot of people dont feel this was a suck punch at all and that its Ortizs fault for dropping his gaurd. I say thats bullshit. Its fuckin sportsmanship.

What alot of you probly didnt see was Floyd pretty much getting in the face of the ancient Larry Marchant, I agree Marchant is terrible and shouldnt have the HBO gig anymore, but yet again Floyd shows his true colors.
Back to top Go down
ChokingVictim
Sparring Partner
Sparring Partner
ChokingVictim

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:45 am

Marchant vs Mayweather

Its later in the vid, pretty nuts.

Back to top Go down
Zacchaeus
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Zacchaeus

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:46 am

Yeah, that was some serious BS. Both sides were fucked up for what they did. There just isn't anything to be happy about from that fight.
Back to top Go down
Billytk
Sparring Partner
Sparring Partner
Billytk

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:46 am

It was a lot worse then the write up made it sound and Mayweather is a jerk but Ortiz did throw a intentionally illegal headbutt so he can't really complain that mayweather took advantage of him putting his hands down considering it was in the middle of the round and the fight was "on" it was absolutely a cheap shot but Mayweather was already the "badguy" and Ortiz's shot was just as cheap he just didn't manage to connect cleanly
Back to top Go down
Zacchaeus
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Zacchaeus

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:49 am

Floyd talkin shit to a elderly man for calling him out for being a douche. Wow, I wonder, will I ever care about Boxing again? No, not happening.
Back to top Go down
ChokingVictim
Sparring Partner
Sparring Partner
ChokingVictim

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:50 am

Mayweathers bad guy image is entirely of his own making. Hes one of the greatest boxers youll ever see in the ring, when he opens his mouth and starts burning hundreds on 24/7 it pisses people off for obvious reasons.
Back to top Go down
Zacchaeus
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Zacchaeus

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:51 am

I find it funny that Floyd wants to talk about "Not getting a fair shake" giving the circumstances...
Face Palm
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:52 am

and in english, way better angle and clarity thanks! What a fuckin jack ass of a bitch move! Fuck Mayweather! He was getting in Merchants face afterwards or what? Thats fucked....
Back to top Go down
ChokingVictim
Sparring Partner
Sparring Partner
ChokingVictim

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:57 am

Yeh dude, I mean everyone who watches boxing on HBO regularly knows that Marchant is waaaaayyyy past his day as a serious boxing analyst, Hes critical of every single fighter he talks about and usually just starts bantering about random stuff.....but you dont get in a 80+ year olds face with your goon entourage behind you for actually trying to talk about the fight and not your payday. Another bad night for boxing.
Back to top Go down
seanb3490
Training Dummy
Training Dummy
seanb3490

Standard Cash : 5163

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 11:14 am

Pacquiao
Back to top Go down
Billytk
Sparring Partner
Sparring Partner
Billytk

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 11:42 am

I'd probably be going nuts over this and trashing both guys if it happened in the UFC or Stikeforce but honestly my opinion of boxing has fallen so low not only don't I care enough to be outraged but I'm not even surprised by either guy.
Back to top Go down
Snake Five
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter

Standard Cash : 3786

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 6:05 pm

Pretty classless and fucked move on Mayweather's behalf. You don't act like you're going to shake a guy's hand and hug him and then sucker punch him. At least not in combat sports.

Yeah the heabutt was pretty blatant ,but Ortiz tried apologizing. While you should defend yourself at all times the only exception is stuff like this.

Mayweather's a douche what else is new.
Back to top Go down
Billytk
Sparring Partner
Sparring Partner
Billytk

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 6:37 pm

Snake Five wrote:
Pretty classless and fucked move on Mayweather's behalf. You don't act like you're going to shake a guy's hand and hug him and then sucker punch him. At least not in combat sports.

Yeah the heabutt was pretty blatant ,but Ortiz tried apologizing. While you should defend yourself at all times the only exception is stuff like this.

Mayweather's a douche what else is new.

While I agree with the fact that Mayweather is a douche would it make what he did OK if he apologised afterwards?? and his cheapshot wasn't even illegal! my point isn't that Mayweather should be cut some slack but that Ortiz is being let off the hook WAY too easy
Back to top Go down
ChokingVictim
Sparring Partner
Sparring Partner
ChokingVictim

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 7:20 pm

HEadbutts happen quite often in boxing. What Mayweather did does not, and certainly what he did after the fight talking to Marchant is insanely rare.

Its the referees job to control whats happening inside the ring, and once again Cortez proves himself the most imcompentent referee ive ever seen. Its in Floyds contract that this douche refs his fights because he doesnt allow holding or dirty boxing at all. Which is why Ricky Hatton was flipping out when he faught Floyd.
Back to top Go down
DEP
Internet Troll Champion!
Internet Troll Champion!
DEP

Standard Cash : 9486

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 8:03 pm

"Obey my commands, protect yourself at all times, remember guys I'm fair but I'm firm"... those are the last words Cortez says before he starts any fight. The middle part is the most important. What Mayweather did wasn't illegal, and Ortiz is an idiot for letting his guard down. What Ortiz did is beyond illegal, and he was penalized for it.

There's a code of conduct in the ring not written in Queensbury but between fighters themselves. When you make it blatantly obvious that you want a dirty fight, in all likelihood you'll get one. Apologies mean dick after the fact. Ortiz took it there, he just didn't know what he was in for. That was the single worst headbutt I've EVER seen, and I've been following the sport for over 20yrs and on top of that I'm a fan of Bernard Hopkins who's one of the dirtiest SOB's in the modern era. There was no way in fuck that Ortiz's headbutt on Mayweather was accidental. Not even close.

Floyd in no way shape or form needed to get dirty with Ortiz in order to whip his ass. Floyd IS a sportsman, always has been. But it's "treat me good I'll treat you better, treat me bad I'll treat you worse" with him. It was instigated by Ortiz with his headbutt, plain and simple. I hate Floyd, always have, but I have to be objective about it. He knows how to fight dirty within the rules and Ortiz doesn't. That's what ended the fight.

As for the post fight interview, I think Floyd just said what everyone else wants to, but it was still pretty lame. Anyone hear Merchant say "If I was 50yrs younger I'd kick your ass!!" lol... he's an old school Philly reporter, he'll not stand for the bull feces.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5734

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 9:37 am

Heh... Ive always said "bring back the head butt".

"Fight!" doesnt mean "hug" Ortiz.... it means fight.

Merchant will never be Howard Cosell.

Boxing has been deteriorating ever since they brought in the Marquess of Queensberry rules (1867).

Ali Ali Ali Ali Ali..... sigh
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15327

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 9:38 am

seanb3490 wrote:
Pacquiao

That says it all right there. Mayweather will always fear him.
Back to top Go down
samger2
Pro Fighter
Pro Fighter
samger2

Standard Cash : 10308

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 1:12 pm

I side with Mayweather in this one. Ortiz had that coming plain and simple. Hands down or not, you fist pumped a couple times, now we're at the center of the ring, let's fight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mayweather - Ortiz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mayweather - Ortiz   Mayweather - Ortiz Empty

Back to top Go down

Mayweather - Ortiz
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next