The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger Vote_lcapMo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger Voting_barMo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger Vote_lcapMo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger Voting_barMo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22856

Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger Empty
PostSubject: Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger   Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 9:19 am

Quote :
Muhammed Lawal made his triumphant return to the cage last night at “Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Kharitonov” after an extended absence due to injury, avoiding the submission expertise of opponent Roger Gracie long enough to knock the formerly undefeated grappler out cold with less than thirty seconds remaining in the opening round.

As far what’s next for “King Mo”, rather than look at a rematch with Rafael Cavalcante or opportunity to re-claim the company’s light heavyweight belt, Lawal has a different idea in mind.

“Maybe, hopefully, they’d have a UFC vs. Strikeforce event,” the former champ explained to MMAFighting in a post-fight conversation before adding, “…and then make it all just be UFC, how about that?”

Lawal was candid in his assessment of Strikeforce’s future when asked if deep down he really just wanted to jump ship and sign with the UFC a la Nick Diaz, Cung Le, and Alistair Overeem.

“I want to go where everybody’s going to and it seems everybody is going to the UFC,” the decorated amateur wrestler continued before asking the camera to pan around to show a lackluster backstage showing and commenting, “Ain’t nobody here. Ain’t nobody here, dog.”

“If you ain’t here, you know it’s weak,” Lawal frankly stated to interviewer Ariel Helwani in reference to an earlier press conference the media member hadn’t been at. The pointed remarks come on the heels of a number of other critical assessments of the outlook for the organization he currently calls home.
Source

That would be an awesome event! No titles on the line just SF vs UFC!
Lorenzo... Dana...
Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger Reverse-1234525508_ben_stiller_-_do_it
Back to top Go down
Zacchaeus
Amateur Fighter
Amateur Fighter
Zacchaeus

Standard Cash : 5404

PostSubject: Re: Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger   Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 3:28 pm

While it is something to grab some attention, it just doesn't feel that big to me.

UFC vs Pride = Huge

UFC vs Strikeforce = Massacre
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59450

PostSubject: Re: Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger   Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 4:13 pm

So conventional wisdom would suggest that it would the best vs the best from each org?

So like, Tyron Woodley or Tarec Saffiedine would have to fight GSP or something?

Or Luke Rockhold would have to fight Anderson Silva?

Hmmm....... I think I could probably guess which org would come out on top.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger   Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 4:35 pm

No, I think it would be better with out the current title holders... just like the top contenders spot guys... or even the title holders of SF vs a Top 5 UFC guy with potential title shot intentions. I also think UFC vs Strikeforce is far better than UFC vs Pride... mostly because hind sight is 20/20 and we now all know Pride would have been raped as well.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger   Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 5:29 pm

Oh I agree that it would be much more evenly matched if they did it that way, but then it wouldn't truly be UFC vs Strikeforce, because it's not our best vs your best.

The only ones that would be remotely even would be LW, LHW and possibly HW...depending on who wins the tournament (who I'm assuming would be at the very least the unofficial SF HW champ).
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5737

PostSubject: Re: Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger   Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 5:49 pm

I think something to take into consideration is the way the top ten are organized in the UFC. IF a guy is on the ladder and near the top getting ready for a title shot or a couple of fights away from a title shot who gets bumped when the Strikeforce guy comes over?

GSP had pretty much cleaned out the competition in the UFC Welterweight... so sure bring Nick over and give it a go. Same with Anderson... but it might be a problem in the other competetive divisions bumping a guy who has put in the blood to climb the ladder... where does he go?

I dont know maybe Im screwy and tired but it seems to me to suck when a guy gets to jump the queue just cause hes coming in from another organization.

But really I guess that happens all the time ..... so Ill just shut up now. silent
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger   Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 5:53 pm

Well, in what division is there that is really that deep, that there are real contenders biting at the bit?
Back to top Go down
Gecko
Title Holder
Title Holder
Gecko

Standard Cash : 15330

PostSubject: Re: Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger   Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 2:29 pm

well we are starting to see that now already

Bisping vs miller

BJ vs Diaz

reem vs brock

cung le vs belfort

I am sure there is more but thats what just popped right up in my mind.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger   Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 2:36 pm

All I'm saying is that if they are gonna try and do this (the most important thing here is they're probably not going to, anyway) and bill it as "UFC vs Strikeforce", it has to be champions vs champions. No other way really makes sense. There would be too much room for interpretation regarding the results, and it ultimately wouldn't prove anything because it's not the top dogs from their respective orgs.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger   Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 2:43 pm

It would clarify where these Strikeforce guys actually need to be ranked among the UFC's best.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger   Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 2:56 pm

Yeah, I guess there's that.

But then if a SF champ beats a UFC contender, everyone's just gonna say "So what? He's the SF champ; he was supposed to beat that guy".
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger   Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 3:11 pm

I wouldn't... nor do I think you would... or any other ejjakated MMA fan for that matter. I mean Shields hardly got by... and isn't that basically what they did with the WEC? Aside from the weight classes that didn't exist in UFC prior....
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger   Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 4:01 pm

Yeah, that's what they did in that situation, and it makes perfect sense in that situation. But my point is that if you're billing this thing as "UFC vs Strikeforce", then what's the point in doing it if you're not putting the best against the best?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger   Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger Empty

Back to top Go down

Mo Lawal interested in UFC vs. Strikeforce showdown, then merger
Page 1 of 1