The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
mma fighter dies after being tko'd Vote_lcapmma fighter dies after being tko'd Voting_barmma fighter dies after being tko'd Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
mma fighter dies after being tko'd Vote_lcapmma fighter dies after being tko'd Voting_barmma fighter dies after being tko'd Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

mma fighter dies after being tko'd

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Standard Cash : 10248

mma fighter dies after being tko'd Empty
PostSubject: mma fighter dies after being tko'd   mma fighter dies after being tko'd EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 1:02 pm

MMA fighter Joao Carvalho, 28, died following a rough third-round technical knockout loss in Dublin, Ireland.

The Portuguese welterweight, who fought Straight Blast Gym fighter Charlie Ward Saturday night at the National Boxing Stadium, passed away at 9:35 p.m. local time Monday, according to a statement released by his team, Nobrega Team on Tuesday.

According to Nobrega Team, the medical staff of Total Extreme Fighting followed all the safety protocols after the fight, and rushed Carvalho to the Beaumont Hospital 20 minutes after the contest after he started to feel bad. Carvalho underwent brain surgery immediately and stayed in critical condition for 48 hours.

"Even though we had the permanent medical care from the promotion’s staff and the Irish hospital, to whom we thank for the support in this tough moment," read the statement, "and even though we know the risks of this sport, Joao Carvalho’s passing is, in my professional point of view, unfortunate, and makes us, his family and the entire Nobrega Team -- which followed Joao Carvalho through his entire career, which gained notoriety nationwide and internationally --, saddened and heartbroken."

Ward’s coach on SBG, John Kavanagh reacted to the news on his Facebook page

Coach John Kavanagh.
It is with heavy hearts that we mourn the passing of Portuguese fighter Joao Carvalho. On Saturday, April 9, the fighter suffered a medical issue following his three round TKO stoppage loss at a Total Extreme Fighting (TEF) Championship event at the National Stadium in Dublin Ireland. IAPA is working diligently with TEF to gather and evaluate all relevant facts and event processes and will participate in any investigation. Our condolences and thoughts, though, are with Joao’s family and friends and we kindly ask everyone to respect their privacy at this time.

The promotion also released a statement on its official website.

The TEF Team is deeply saddened by the news of João Carvalho’s death. Last night 11th of April, mixed martial artist João Carvalho passed away after 2 days of the best medical care and treatment in Beaumont Hospital following his three round TKO stoppage defeat on Saturday 9th April at the National Stadium in Dublin.

Following the referee stoppage João, who was representing Portuguese club Team Nobrega, was assessed by doctors and medical staff at the onsite medical office as per normal procedure. It was determined that he should be sent to hospital. In hospital he received emergency treatment and transferred to ICU later that evening. Formal hospital medical reports and procedures are still being carried out. João was 28 years of age.

Cesar Silva, CEO of TEF said "We extend our most sincere condolences to the family of João Carvalho’s and his teammates in Team Nobrega. Our thoughts and prayers are with them. We’d also like to thank all sports fans for their concern and support. We will give whatever support we can to Joao’s family."

"We have been in contact with his family and they have requested that we all understand their need for privacy at this difficult time."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/4/12/11413100/mma-fighter-joao-carvalho-dies-following-tko-loss-in-ireland
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59440

PostSubject: Re: mma fighter dies after being tko'd   mma fighter dies after being tko'd EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 3:21 pm

A few unnecessary blows at the end, but it didn't look blatantly horrible. The ref shouldn't blame himself in this case, IMO.

I actually expected this to look a lot worse. I was almost positive Scott Smith was dead after Paul Daley knocked him out in Strikeforce.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: mma fighter dies after being tko'd   mma fighter dies after being tko'd EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 3:52 pm

Well written statement from McGregor, who was cageside supporting his teammate Ward:

Quote :
“Terrible news regarding Joao Carvalho.

“To see a young man doing what he loves, competing for a chance at a better life, and then to have it taken away is truly heartbreaking. We are just men and women doing something we love in the hope of a better life for ourselves and our families. Nobody involved in combat sports of any kind wants to see this. It is such a rare occurrence that I don’t know how to take this.

“I was ringside supporting my teammate, and the fight was so back and forth, that I just can’t understand it.

“My condolences go out to Joao’s family and his team. Their man was a hell of a fighter and will be sorely missed by all.

“Combat sport is a crazy game and with the recent incident in boxing and now this in MMA, it is a sad time to be a fighter and a fight fan. It is easy for those on the outside to criticise our way of living, but for the millions of people around the world who have had their lives, their health, their fitness and their mental strength all changed for the better through combat, this is truly a bitter pill to swallow. We have lost one of us.

“I hope we remember Joao as a champion, who pursued his dream doing what he loved, and show him the eternal respect and admiration he deserves.

“Rest in peace, Joao.”
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5727

PostSubject: Re: mma fighter dies after being tko'd   mma fighter dies after being tko'd EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 11:28 am

RIP Carvalho, I hope Charlie Ward gets past this. The death reminds us what these guys put on the line.
No one to blame, no one to fault, getting punched in the head several times can kill you.

Thanks to all of the warriors who put their lives on the line so I can sit on my sofa, drinking whiskey and critiquing their efforts for my entertainment.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35188

PostSubject: Re: mma fighter dies after being tko'd   mma fighter dies after being tko'd EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 12:20 pm

Well, statistically you are the hero then.
More people die from too much whiskey.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5727

PostSubject: Re: mma fighter dies after being tko'd   mma fighter dies after being tko'd EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 12:45 pm

Yeah back in the day drinking whiskey and fighting got me into a lot of trouble. No one paid, and thank goodness no one died. (just a few personal brain cells)
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: mma fighter dies after being tko'd   mma fighter dies after being tko'd EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 3:15 pm

Yeah some people seem to be genuinely shocked by this and are looking for someone to point the finger at. I'm not really sure why. I mean when you get right down to it, these men are training to inflict as much damage as possible on another man trained to do the same thing to them, and the mindset and intention of these men (with a few exceptions) is to render the other man unable to continue.
If there's anything shocking about this, it's that it doesn't happen more often. You can only regulate and take so many precautions in a competition between two trained fighters trying to kick the living fuck out of each other.
Back to top Go down
stock
Top 10 King
Top 10 King
stock

Standard Cash : 35188

PostSubject: Re: mma fighter dies after being tko'd   mma fighter dies after being tko'd EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 10:14 am

Agree 100%.

Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12606

PostSubject: Re: mma fighter dies after being tko'd   mma fighter dies after being tko'd EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 1:22 pm

Triggerman99 wrote:
A few unnecessary blows at the end, but it didn't look blatantly horrible. The ref shouldn't blame himself in this case, IMO.

I actually expected this to look a lot worse. I was almost positive Scott Smith was dead after Paul Daley knocked him out in Strikeforce.

Yeah I one million percent agree.

I am very interested to see what the autopsy shows, because I wouldn't be surprised if there was a pre-existing condition or something.  That looked bordeline mild imo.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: mma fighter dies after being tko'd   mma fighter dies after being tko'd EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 8:43 pm

Yeah I mean he never even went limp or lost consciousness or anything.
I'm not ignorant to the fact that severe damage can still be done even if the person stayed conscious throughout, but like you said; I'd be interested to see if there was something wrong before the fight even started.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mma fighter dies after being tko'd   mma fighter dies after being tko'd Empty

Back to top Go down

mma fighter dies after being tko'd
Page 1 of 1