The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  Vote_lcapDespite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  Voting_barDespite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  Vote_lcapDespite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  Voting_barDespite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59433

Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  Empty
PostSubject: Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs    Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 2:08 pm

Quote :
Reports out of Brazil surfaced over the weekend that former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva would admit to using performance-enhancing substances for therapeutic use when he goes before the Nevada Athletic Commission.

Silva tested positive for Drostanolone and Androstane (both are banned anabolic steroids) on Jan. 9 in an out-of-competition drug test, and then tested positive for Drostanolone again in a Jan. 31 fight-night drug test related to his UFC 183 bout against Nick Diaz in Las Vegas. He is currently under a temporary suspension pending a full hearing with the commission.

> SEE ALSO: Anderson Silva Will Reportedly Admit to Therapeutic PEDs Use

http://www.mmaweekly.com/anderson-silva-will-reportedly-admit-to-therapeutic-peds-use

In a video from TMZ Sports on Wednesday, however, Silva expressed his confusion about testing positive for steroids for his Jan. 31 bout with Nick Diaz. Silva won the fight via unanimous decision. (Watch the TMZ Sports video interview here.)

“I am surprised. My manager call me and say Anderson, you have the problem because you go to the test for the commission, it’s bad,” recounted Silva, before adding, “I don’t know what happened.”

He went on to indicate that he the various supplements he used during training were being tested.

At this juncture, it’s difficult to say how this situation will play out. Silva will go before the Nevada Athletic Commission at its next meeting for his hearing, but the date for that meeting has not been set.

At that time, Silva will be able to present his side of what happened, and then the commission will make a determination. It’s rare that a fighter that tests positive for steroids avoids repercussions.

However the situation is resolved, Silva doesn’t appear ready to step away from the sport. In fact, he’s already talking rematch.

“I think this is bad for sport, it’s so bad for me and my life, and I used nothing for change my performance in the fight,” he told TMZ.

“When commission say done, I go back to fight. I think have the rematch for Nick,” he continued. “I expect the commission now, when all this done, I go fight Nick for next one.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/anderson-silva-surprised-by-drug-test-failure-open-to-nick-diaz-rematch

What's weird about this is that UFC.com was reporting that Silva will admit to using steroids at his commission hearing. The fact that some random Brazilian site first reported it isn't all that surprising or uncommon, but UFC.com jumping on board and reporting it, only to have Silva still claim he did nothing wrong?!
It seems like there's some politicking going on here, with the UFC trying to encourage Silva to handle this one way, while he wants to handle it a different way.
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5720

Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs    Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 2:40 pm

Meh he took them, take the fine, take the suspension ... retire or come back.... but just, for the love of God, don't whine about how innocent you are cause you got caught.
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Standard Cash : 10241

PostSubject: Re: Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs    Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 12:36 pm

i cant recall a fighter who fell harder/faster than anderson. imo he will be remembered for this and not the years of destroying competition. If he wasnt so persistent about claiming he didnt do it i dont think it would have been so bad.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs    Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 5:18 pm

drainbamage wrote:
i cant recall a fighter who fell harder/faster than anderson. imo he will be remembered for this and not the years of destroying competition. If he wasnt so persistent about claiming he didnt do it i dont think it would have been so bad.

Nah, it only feels that way because we are living it right now in real time.
20 years from now you're not gonna hear about a KO loss to Chris Weidman or a failed PED test when the name Anderson Silva comes up. You're gonna be shown highlights from his fights against Vitor, Okami, Franklin, Forrest, Leben and Marquardt where he made seasoned pro fighters look like amateurs, and against Henderson, Lutter, and Sonnen where he defied the odds and found a way to win.
When you hear the name Muhammad Ali, the first thing that pops into your head isn't "draft dodger", is it?
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs    Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 6:37 pm

whos Muhammad Ali? Laughing

i think that is a bad comparison because i think MMA fans are much more fickle than any other sport fans in the world. I think the timing for this to happen to silva is horrible. Just seems like all the big names are getting into trouble and because of that the NSAC and the UFC change all these rules regarding PEDS. so i think people will remember silva who got kod by weidman while joking around in the ring, then got his leg broken after weidman was beating him up again, then came back to fight a lightweight/welterweight who didnt fight for 2 years and looked like shit against him while he was taking PEDS.
I love silva and everything he has done but the way MMA fans are I think his legacy will be tarnished

to me he will always be the GOAT
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs    Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 8:14 pm

I don't know about that.
MMA fans are fickle, but no more than any other sport. It's just that mainstream MMA is so much newer than any of the other major sports, so it seems more magnified right now.
The people that do and always have despised Silva will do their very best to bury him as deeply as they can, but this bad last few years is drops in the bucket compared to not only what he has accomplished in the cage, but also how big a star he was for MMA as a whole.

I'm personally not concerned at all for his legacy. He's one of, if not the best fighter we have ever seen at this point. Anybody with half a brain knows that, even the haters. That won't be forgotten because of a dark period of a couple of years.
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs    Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 9:45 am

man i hope you are right because it has been a beautiful thing to watch anderson fight in that cage..
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs    Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 11:18 am

I think the Muhammed Ali comparison is a bad one, because draft dodging has nothing to do with boxing. If he had got caught cheating it would be another thing.

Is the first thing you think about Barry Bonds, all time homerun leader? Not me...
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs    Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 12:38 pm

I only used the Ali example because of their similar standings in their respective sports, not because their indiscretions were similar.
And even though the offense was similar, I don't really see much of a comparison to Bonds. Bonds was suspect for basically the whole 2nd half of his career because he morphed into this giant-headed monster who suddenly out of nowhere started crushing baseballs into outer space on a regular basis. On top of that, he wasn't an exceptionally good baseball player as a whole, as Silva is as a martial artist (I know you just making a point, but I'm just saying).

However, we are clearly in the "Ped Era" of the sport, just like the "Steroid Era" in baseball a few years back. I don't think there's any denying that anymore. But I don't think Silva is the poster-boy of it like Bonds was for baseball. I think that distinction belongs to Vitor, Henderson, Reem, or Sonnen (or all of the above).
Back to top Go down
FistK
Title Holder
Title Holder
FistK

Standard Cash : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs    Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 12:45 pm

Bonds was considered a hall of fame caliber player before juicing, but that is neither here nor there.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Before Silva came to the UFC and became the "GOAT" he was an above average fighter. So he does have a first half/second half to his career and i think it does somewhat correlate with Bonds.

Imo and I am by no means an Anderson hater his career achievements are cloudy at best and I definitely don't think I am the only one who feels this way.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

PostSubject: Re: Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs    Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 2:07 pm

I absolutely am not defending the guy if he did in fact juice on a consistent basis, but I truly don't think he did.
As has been said a few times, he doesn't seem like the type of fighter who benefitted greatly from roids. His style is about technical precision and elusiveness, things that aren't really associated with steroids. I know that sounds kind of weak, but it really does make sense.

I honestly think it's weird that he's so vehemently denying it, because I really wouldn't be that surprised to find out that he used them to help heal his leg. It would still be wrong, but at least it would make sense. The fact that he's saying "Nope, no way, no how, ever" has kind of got me scratching my head.

I will say this though; if it comes to light that he's been using on a consistent basis for years, I may need to consider whether or not I even want to be an MMA fan anymore. Sad
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs    Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 3:59 pm

him denying it is making it much worse for him and his legacy. He got caught. He should have used the "I was trying to strengthen my leg" approach IMO because just saying I didnt use peds is destroying him.

regardless of PEDS or not he looked like shit against a lw/ww. If anderson showed up to fight any of the top 5 in the MW division the way he fought diaz he would get destroyed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs    Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs  Empty

Back to top Go down

Despite reports, Anderson Silva Still Says He Did Not Take Any Performance Enhancing Drugs
Page 1 of 1