The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Gegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down Vote_lcapGegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down Voting_barGegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Gegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down Vote_lcapGegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down Voting_barGegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Similar topics
Affiliates
free forum

Gegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Standard Cash : 10261

Gegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down Empty
PostSubject: Gegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down   Gegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down EmptyTue Feb 03, 2015 8:56 am

After hearing Gegard Mousasi explaining a down 2014 campaign due to 'being burnt out,' it was interesting to hear he'd be willing to jump back into action so soon.

Mousasi credited his Jan. 24 victory over Dan Henderson at UFC on FOX 15 largely to his attitude, using his near five-month layoff to regain some hunger to compete.

With UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman being forced to withdraw from his title bout with Vitor Belfort on Feb. 28, Mousasi says he was willing to step in for the champ at UFC 184 in Los Angeles.

"I was planning on going on holiday, but the UFC called me and asked me 'would you like to fight Vitor Belfort?' and I said I had to talk to my coaches because I didn't want to have that burn out feeling again of fighting just because you have a fight," Mousasi told FOX Sports. "I really wanted to take my rest, but after talking with my coaches and it was such a big opportunity and I was in the mood to fight."

Saying he was the UFC's backup to Lyoto Machida's 'Plan A,' Mousasi accepted the bout before Belfort ultimately turned both options down.

Belfort was reportedly willing to accept bouts against Yoel Romero and Mark Munoz to remain on the UFC 184 card, but neither seem to have come together.

"He's going for the belt, that's his main focus, he wants to have that achievement," said Mousasi. "That's his goal I believe. I understand he doesn't want to risk it. He doesn't want to risk losing and losing his title shot. It's a risk and at this point in his career, he doesn't need to take the risk.

"I can't blame him. I met him, I even trained with him once. It's not personal. They offered me the fight and I said yes. I've got nothing against him."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/2/3/7967231/morning-report-ufc-gegard-mousasi-vitor-belfort-weidman-nick-diaz-anderson-silva-rousey-mma-news
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

Gegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down   Gegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down EmptyTue Feb 03, 2015 9:09 am

i guess i understand why but i would love to see gegard vs vitor. fireworks for sure.
Back to top Go down
Triggerman99
Title Holder
Title Holder
Triggerman99

Standard Cash : 59453

PostSubject: Re: Gegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down   Gegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down EmptyTue Feb 03, 2015 2:28 pm

Well either agree to fight for an Interim title or don't! If you want to be awarded the Interim championship, sorry, but it's going to have to be against another fighter who is desrving of that title, too. What does he think? That he should just get to pick whoever he wants to fight and be awarded the Interim title for it? Yeah, that's not the way it works. This isn't a blank check situation where you get to do whatever you want.

If he wasn't willing to fight for an Interim title against another top contender, then he just should've kept his mouth shut and waited for Weidman.
Back to top Go down
drainbamage
Title Holder
Title Holder
drainbamage

PostSubject: Re: Gegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down   Gegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down EmptyTue Feb 03, 2015 4:03 pm

im surprised vitor is being picky choosy. never seemed like that type
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down   Gegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down Empty

Back to top Go down

Gegard Mousasi accepted bout with Vitor Belfort, but 'The Phenom' turned him down
Page 1 of 1