The MMA Standard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC & MMA News, Updates, Discussion & Virtual Betting

UFC & MMA NewsMMA RankingsHomePublicationsSearchRegisterLog in
Most active topic starters
Chrom
Get rid of the fence! Vote_lcapGet rid of the fence! Voting_barGet rid of the fence! Vote_rcap 
Triggerman99
Get rid of the fence! Vote_lcapGet rid of the fence! Voting_barGet rid of the fence! Vote_rcap 
drainbamage
Gecko
9Teen_AT4
Krieger
butterknifeninja
stock
FistK
samger2
Latest topics
Affiliates
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Get rid of the fence!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

Standard Cash : 5740

Get rid of the fence! Empty
PostSubject: Get rid of the fence!   Get rid of the fence! EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 1:10 pm

A few years ago I remember an organization that fought on a raised fenceless dias focusing on striking only, karate and muey thai. No submissions or grappling. I cant remember the name so if someone could help me out Id appreciate it.

Anyways Ive always thought I would like to see an organization bring this back, expand the fighting surface, keep it raised like the octagon, put an "out of bounds safety mat around this" and remove the fence. All other unified mma rules would apply.

I'd like people just to think about the possibilities of this format and some of the effects it would have fight. Whats your view ... would you ppv a fight like this? How would Randy do without the fence? Who do you think would benefit most with the cage gone?
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

Standard Cash : 22859

PostSubject: Re: Get rid of the fence!   Get rid of the fence! EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 1:44 pm

Damn, I do remember that, it was on Fox I think. I really enjoyed the leagues format too. I think Dirty Boxers/Greco guys, like Randy, would definitely lose an edge with out the fence to lean opponents on. As would weaker wrestlers who can't secure a good take down. They usually just drive until they hit the fence and scoop the opponents feet out. But with no fence they have no take down... we might actually get more high impact slams from this format. I think the "elusive" fighters and guys with good footwork would get the biggest benefit, since they can't really get caught up in a corner or against the cage. I would definitely watch a PPV that was trying something like this format out. It would be interesting... but the last time some one fucked with the "Cage" it didn't go too well.
Back to top Go down
butterknifeninja
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
butterknifeninja

Standard Cash : 4016

PostSubject: Re: Get rid of the fence!   Get rid of the fence! EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 2:16 pm

Are you thinking of the movie Bloodsport?

Or it could have been the one that Chuck Norris produced, I can't remember the name... something Combat League maybe?

The only issue I see with that is the risk of a neck injury if someone lands the wrong way out of bounds
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Get rid of the fence!   Get rid of the fence! EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 3:19 pm

Get rid of the fence! 11427237096420ui
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

PostSubject: Re: Get rid of the fence!   Get rid of the fence! EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 3:35 pm

Heh I loved Bloodsport... but MMA spoiled my joy of Martial Arts films .... sigh

But no it wasn't Blood Sport It was a real fight promotion, a team tournament concept, guys were allowed to wear their Karatagi I believe MMA gloves and padded feet were optional. No one was ever propelled off the dias due to the warning border.

Spectator's got an amazingly clear view of the action and it looked cool on TV.

One major impact would be take-downs... you would have to have some major shit to score a take-down, I think Judo throws would become more important to transition to the ground and I would love the elimination of laying on the fence for 15 minutes.

I will pay $50 fake dollars to the first guy who can come up the name of the organization, (if I can figure out how to do that).
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

PostSubject: Re: Get rid of the fence!   Get rid of the fence! EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 3:41 pm

OMG check this video out ... heh pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxPDbBv5PGA
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Get rid of the fence!   Get rid of the fence! EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 4:37 pm

http://wcl.com/
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

PostSubject: Re: Get rid of the fence!   Get rid of the fence! EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 6:30 pm

OMG thats it and Chuck Norris was a staunch supporter and front man. Heh Chrom you are the Kwisatz Haderach.... heh now how do I send $50 SCs your way.
Back to top Go down
Chrom
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chrom

PostSubject: Re: Get rid of the fence!   Get rid of the fence! EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 7:02 pm

All SC transactions must be done through a bookie... luckily for me Im one of the bookies Cool
But first you must sign this promissory note allowing me to act as my own bookie...
Get rid of the fence! Il_ful10
pay no attention to the details and the fine print.... JUST SIGN IT!!!!
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Krieger
Title Holder
Title Holder
Krieger

PostSubject: Re: Get rid of the fence!   Get rid of the fence! EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 10:19 pm

Heh done ... that was a good find! I googled until my fingers bled and couldnt find it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Get rid of the fence!   Get rid of the fence! Empty

Back to top Go down

Get rid of the fence!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The MMA Standard :: Other MMA Leagues-
Jump to: